* pandoc and pdflatex on mac osx 11
@ 2017-09-07 23:27 Michael Prenez-Isbell
       [not found] ` <c7776fed-d510-4aac-8214-c2a58cc922b5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Prenez-Isbell @ 2017-09-07 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

pandoc can't find pdflatex now.

it's here on my system:

 /Library/TeX/Root/bin/x86_64-darwin/pdflatex

if someone has a fix for this, that would be great.

* Re: pandoc and pdflatex on mac osx 11
       [not found] ` <c7776fed-d510-4aac-8214-c2a58cc922b5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-09-07 23:29   ` Michael Prenez-Isbell
       [not found]     ` <23183594-0886-421d-9742-a3ce84c40754-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Prenez-Isbell @ 2017-09-07 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

this is the error:

pandoc sort0706.epub -o sort0706.pdf

pandoc: pdflatex not found. pdflatex is needed for pdf output.

@ 2017-09-07 23:48       ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]         ` <CA+u6gbzWQoxUJez-9OEV6Kmk5LmrJOSxRUdbUvtrB34JsMbsTQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2017-09-07 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 8 September 2017 at 09:29, Michael Prenez-Isbell
<michael.isbell-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> this is the error:
>
> pandoc sort0706.epub -o sort0706.pdf
>
> pandoc: pdflatex not found. pdflatex is needed for pdf output.

Can you run `pdflatex` normally from the command-line (i.e. is it in
your `$PATH`)?

> On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 7:27:40 PM UTC-4, Michael Prenez-Isbell
> wrote:
>>

>> pandoc can't find pdflatex now.
>>
>> it's here on my system:
>>
>>  /Library/TeX/Root/bin/x86_64-darwin/pdflatex
>>

>> if someone has a fix for this, that would be great.
>>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/23183594-0886-421d-9742-a3ce84c40754%40googlegroups.com.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

@ 2017-09-08  1:38   ` John Purnell
       [not found]     ` <5D96AA0D-6EF0-41D6-88AF-D81F005445C3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John Purnell @ 2017-09-08  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

If you installed MacTeX or BasicTex then your PATH would have been
appended to by a file `TeX`, which contains the path to the current TeX
binaries of `/Library/TeX/texbin`, in the directory `/etc/paths.d`. If
that file doesn't exist, then you will either need to create it with
those contents or add the path `/Library/TeX/texbin` to PATH by other
means.

On 2017-09-08, at 11:27 +1200, Michael Prenez-Isbell
<michael.isbell-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> pandoc can't find pdflatex now.
>
> it's here on my system:
>
>  /Library/TeX/Root/bin/x86_64-darwin/pdflatex
>

> if someone has a fix for this, that would be great.
>

> --

[-- Attachment #2: TeX --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 20 bytes --]

/Library/TeX/texbin

[-- Attachment #3: TeX --]

@ 2017-09-08 17:43           ` Michael Prenez-Isbell
From: Michael Prenez-Isbell @ 2017-09-08 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

No, I can't.

@ 2017-09-08 17:45       ` Michael Prenez-Isbell
       [not found]         ` <d9a3a5b7-d9e9-40ab-a3d4-ff252c18e964-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Prenez-Isbell @ 2017-09-08 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

thanks, John, i'll try this out.

@ 2017-09-08 17:46           ` Michael Prenez-Isbell
From: Michael Prenez-Isbell @ 2017-09-08 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

"michaels-MacBook-Pro-Early-2015:texbin michaelisbell$ ./pdflatex

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.18 (TeX Live 2017) (preloaded
format=pdflatex)

 restricted \write18 enabled.

**

Please type the name of your input file.

**

Please type the name of your input file.

**

Please type the name of your input file.

**
"

ah ha, verified texbin on my system, and that pdflatex executes, we're
halfway there. this makes it pretty certain it's a PATH problem.

@ 2017-09-08 17:59       ` Michael Prenez-Isbell
       [not found]         ` <33d2f719-f7ac-4860-b752-9ac762f0a17b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Prenez-Isbell @ 2017-09-08 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

so as it turns out, the path was set but I has to shut down computer and
restart. kinda surprised to have that happen on a UNIX based system but,
there ya go.

it all works splendidly now.

@ 2017-09-08 22:32           ` dmccunney
From: dmccunney @ 2017-09-08 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Michael Prenez-Isbell
<michael.isbell-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> so as it turns out, the path was set but I has to shut down computer and
> restart. kinda surprised to have that happen on a UNIX based system but,
> there ya go.

Logging out and logging back on should have done the trick.  The PATH
variable is set in your shell's initialization file (like .bashrc) and
exported into the environment.  I can't recall ever having an issue on
Linux where I had to reboot to cure a problem like that.  (Or on Unix,
for that matter, since I started on AT&T Unix System V Release 2.)

> it all works splendidly now.

Good.
______
Dennis

@ 2017-09-09  8:17           ` John Purnell
From: John Purnell @ 2017-09-09  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 2017-09-09, at 05:59 +1200, Michael Prenez-Isbell
<michael.isbell-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> so as it turns out, the path was set but I has to shut down computer
> and
> restart. kinda surprised to have that happen on a UNIX based system
> but,
> there ya go.

macOS is based on UNIX but has been "improved". In this case, for the
PATH to be updated with the addition contained in the `/etc/paths.d/TeX`
file, the `path_helper` utility has to be run. This is done so in
`/etc/profile`. Therefore you need to either source `/etc/profile` in
the current shell or open a new shell, which of course is what happened
when you restarted.