* Getting pandoc to convert Github Markdown documents with HTML tags to PDF
@ 2023-07-03 22:41 Luveh Keraph
       [not found] ` <b1dae07b-11d1-4c98-8fcf-369f2b23a54cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luveh Keraph @ 2023-07-03 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have a Github Markdown document that contains HTML tags - mostly to do
with special characters (e.g. &Hscr;) and stuff to place pictures where I
want in the page. The thing is, pandoc seems to ignore the HTML tags. Is
this a limitation intrinsic to pandoc, or is there any way to get pandoc to
process such tags and produce the right output?

The pandoc invocation that I am currently using for converting my Github
Markdown documents to PDF is

 $ pandoc --resource-path=/home/abc/Repos.wiki -t html5
--pdf-engine=wkhtmltopdf --metadata pagetitle="MyDoc.md" --css github.css
-o MyDoc.pdf

The default invocation pandoc MyDoc.md -o MyDoc.pdf is not dealing with
images properly (in that it sometimes rearranges surrounding paragraphs the
wrong way) and it seems to be unable to deal with expressions like
ignored.

* Re: Getting pandoc to convert Github Markdown documents with HTML tags to PDF
       [not found] ` <b1dae07b-11d1-4c98-8fcf-369f2b23a54cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-07-04 21:50   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <529BC174-779A-4D98-BCC9-F59AEAAC2B9D-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-04 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

HTML tags should be passed through to HTML formats.

Have you looked at the intermediate HTML produced?  You can use --verbose to see it.

This seems to work fine:

% pandoc -t html5
_A_<sub>_m_</sub>

PS. You probably want to use -f gfm if you're targeting GitHub Markdown.

Pandoc version?

@ 2023-07-04 23:07       ` Luveh Keraph
       [not found]         ` <CAFy1yb2op3Aq=P4L7xpNwPBBHtopKMx+urWz+-VQ+5Mh0CM=hQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Luveh Keraph @ 2023-07-04 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks. I invoked pandoc -f gfm MyDoc. -o MyDoc.pdf and in the resulting
PDF document the subscripts are still ignored. When running it with
--verbose in the resulting output I saw numerous instances of

[INFO] Not rendering RawInline (Format "html") "</sub>"
[INFO] Not rendering RawInline (Format "html") "<sub>"

However, when I added -t html5 to the invocation the diagnostics above
disappear, and the subscripts are indeed present in the converted PDF file.
Thanks for the tip - it has indeed improved things. Now it is still the
case that things like &mdash; or &Hscr; are ignored by pandoc. Any
suggestions on how to get pandoc to process them?

I am using the following:

pandoc 3.1.4
Features: +server +lua
Scripting engine: Lua 5.4

@ 2023-07-05 18:41           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <F4D52E47-33F8-4A2C-9A56-679BD5240ABD-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-05 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

&mdash; and &Hscr; will be parsed as unicode characters and these will be passed through to the HTML.
You can check the intermediate HTML file (again it will be printed with --verbose) to confirm this.
It may be that the program that is being invoked to go from HTML -> PDF (wkhtmltopdf ?) doesn't handle these characters properly.
You could try adding the `--ascii` option which will force entities to be used.

@ 2023-07-05 19:16               ` Luveh Keraph
       [not found]                 ` <CAFy1yb3hBrj7FUSM7wDiFY7hEB+GQ1PJSB4RiUo5YRNJnACZjA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Luveh Keraph @ 2023-07-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks. What I see for &Hscr; is that a non-printable character is
generated. When using --verbose --ascii -t html5 it appears as &#x210B; in
the resulting file, and just an empty space (as far as I can see) in the
PDF file.

@ 2023-07-05 19:47                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-05 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw