On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 8:45:41 AM UTC-8, BP wrote: To a normal user (I.e. you aren’t a Pandoc contributor or filter author) the AST is an implementation detail which you don’t interact with. The normal user experience is pandoc -f markdown -t html`, i.e. you input a document in one markup format and get (a file) in anotheir markup format (possibly zipped together with sundry other files) as output, without any intermediate file or files. There is no point in creating a false impression that there always must be an intermediate file. In fact that may scare off potential normal users. To them the thing which sets pandoc apart from other light markup processors is that it supports conversion back and forth between multiple markup formats, and the logo should emphasize that. The logo needs to be intelligible and meaningful to the less geeky users which hopefully are in majority. /bpj It certainly is another possible perspective. So let me illustrate more on my perspective: 1. There are countless examples of expectation from end-users (including me) that originated from the misunderstanding of what pandoc is and what pandoc does. Rather than trying not to “scare off potential normal users” (which is unlikely to happen from a logo alone, since they won’t understand the nuance in it at first sight), may be we should set the expectation right as early as possible, so that they won’t be disappointed later on, and will not waste time to use pandoc for the wrong task. 2. The logo having arrows pointing to a common element representing AST will not make a real difference on first sight. But it would be a great “entry point” to talk about the philosophy behind pandoc. Having a 2nd layer of sophistication means intelligible and meaningful to me. (i.e. at first sight you get something, but there’s a deeper story behind it.) - To further illustrate on this point, at first glance, pandoc seems very similar to some other tool, e.g. MultiMarkdown. But as one pushes the tools further, they will realize pandoc is much deeper than what it seems like at first glance. So, if the logo can have layers of meaning, it represents pandoc better. I don’t mean it has to be done this way. I mean if there’s arrows, arrows pointing to a common element is more correct and deeper, and doesn’t really scare off people (may actually attract the right people), and is a path worth explore. But if no design makes this looks good and natural, we need not to force it. ​ -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/30f01b4c-8b2c-481a-96f9-dfd0ba37e71a%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.