* Unicode in beamer output
@ 2021-07-14 17:34 jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <47498bae-fd0b-4be2-b37b-46f39680e2f5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-07-14 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

(Doing some stuff in beamer today!)

I'm trying to include a star in some beamer output, using xelatex or
lualatex as the pdf engine. I'm getting errors like this:

```
[WARNING] Missing character: There is no ★ (U+2605) (U+2605) in font
[lmsans10-regular]:mapping=te
```

I've tried changing the main font to something that I think has these
characters (like Helvetica or Times), but no luck.

Is there some latex thing going on, or do I just not understand what's
going on. Reveal.js output is fine, for example, and I can put the
characters into a simple html file using a style attribute for those
font-families.

TIA.

* Re: Unicode in beamer output
       [not found] ` <47498bae-fd0b-4be2-b37b-46f39680e2f5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-07-14 17:46   ` jeremy theler
       [not found]     ` <CAK0LiymctfUgpoBUzzbfX=prLo-YXjyCJvC2q0OhB956uVyShg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: jeremy theler @ 2021-07-14 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Use \star

https://docs.latexbase.com/symbols/star/

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021, 14:34 jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <jmuccigr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> (Doing some stuff in beamer today!)
>
> I'm trying to include a star in some beamer output, using xelatex or
> lualatex as the pdf engine. I'm getting errors like this:
>
> ```
> [WARNING] Missing character: There is no ★ (U+2605) (U+2605) in font
> [lmsans10-regular]:mapping=te
> ```
>
> I've tried changing the main font to something that I think has these
> characters (like Helvetica or Times), but no luck.
>
> Is there some latex thing going on, or do I just not understand what's
> going on. Reveal.js output is fine, for example, and I can put the
> characters into a simple html file using a style attribute for those
> font-families.
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/47498bae-fd0b-4be2-b37b-46f39680e2f5n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/47498bae-fd0b-4be2-b37b-46f39680e2f5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: Unicode in beamer output
       [not found] ` <47498bae-fd0b-4be2-b37b-46f39680e2f5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-07-14 18:46   ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]     ` <8735sgvhm1.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-07-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw
  Cc: jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

On Wed, Jul 14 2021, jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote:
> (Doing some stuff in beamer today!)
>
> I'm trying to include a star in some beamer output, using xelatex or
> lualatex as the pdf engine. I'm getting errors like this:
>
> ```
> [WARNING] Missing character: There is no ★ (U+2605) (U+2605) in font
> [lmsans10-regular]:mapping=te
> ```
>
> I've tried changing the main font to something that I think has these
> characters (like Helvetica or Times), but no luck.

"I think" is no guarantee... :-) Besides, Times is only good for its original
purpose (narrow newspaper columns) and presentations shouldn't use serif fonts
anyway. :D

Personally, I'm partial to Libertinus Sans, but for something more
down-to-earth, you might consider DejaVu Sans.

> Is there some latex thing going on, or do I just not understand what's
> going on. Reveal.js output is fine, for example,

I'm pretty sure Reveal.js uses a font with good Unicode support.

> and I can put the
> characters into a simple html file using a style attribute for those
> font-families.

It could be that your browser uses some fall-back fonts for characters that are
not in the requested font.

Or it could be that you indeed have a LaTeX problem. In that case it would help
to use pandoc to create the .tex file and then run latex on it yourself. You'll
get a .log file that should tell you (or us) more.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Unicode in beamer output
       [not found]     ` <CAK0LiymctfUgpoBUzzbfX=prLo-YXjyCJvC2q0OhB956uVyShg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-07-14 19:13       ` jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
From: jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-07-14 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Nope.

[WARNING] Missing character: There is no ⋆ (U+22C6) (U+22C6) in font

On Wednesday, 14 July 2021 at 13:46:23 UTC-4 Jeremy Theler wrote:

> Use \star
>
> https://docs.latexbase.com/symbols/star/
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021, 14:34 jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> (Doing some stuff in beamer today!)
>>
>> I'm trying to include a star in some beamer output, using xelatex or
>> lualatex as the pdf engine. I'm getting errors like this:
>>
>> ```
>> [WARNING] Missing character: There is no ★ (U+2605) (U+2605) in font
>> [lmsans10-regular]:mapping=te
>> ```
>>
>> I've tried changing the main font to something that I think has these
>> characters (like Helvetica or Times), but no luck.
>>
>> Is there some latex thing going on, or do I just not understand what's
>> going on. Reveal.js output is fine, for example, and I can put the
>> characters into a simple html file using a style attribute for those
>> font-families.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/47498bae-fd0b-4be2-b37b-46f39680e2f5n%40googlegroups.com