This problem was introduced with citeproc, which applies the style to the whole document, not just citations - it didn't occur with older versions of pandoc that used pandoc-citeproc. According to Jim , it would be tricky to fix this without causing problems with note citations. On Saturday, 26 June 2021 at 00:25:14 UTC+3 amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote: > On 6/25/2021 13:47, gnpan wrote: > > This is a csl locale issue, US is default. You can try --metadata > > lang=en-GB as suggested here > > or add a zero-width-space > as > > mentioned here > > >. > > > > > > On Friday, 25 June 2021 at 14:38:07 UTC+3 William Lupton wrote: > > > > Hello, > > > > It seems that adding --citeproc causes a question mark to be brought > > within quotes, which I didn't expect. I tried escaping it but this > > didn't make any difference. Putting a space before it avoids the > > behaviour... but I don't want a space! > > > > Thanks, > > William > > > > % pandoc -v > > pandoc 2.14.0.3 > > > > % cat question.md > > '-'? > > > > % pandoc question.md > >

‘-’?

‘-?’