* Customize Conversion for Identifiers in Code Blocks
@ 2015-01-17 21:05 Ranjit Jhala
       [not found] ` <5699588b-678c-4de6-96c0-6505e7fbd950-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ranjit Jhala @ 2015-01-17 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'd like to write a filter that runs on `CodeBlock` such that each
identifier that begins
with (say) "$$$mytoken" gets rendered in latex not as a

    \NormalTok{$$$mytoken}

but as

    \MySpecialToken{$$$mytoken}

Can anyone give me a hint as to how to proceed? The stumbling block is that
it seems like
the filter should "preserve" the type, so I can write a

    myFilter :: CodeBlock -> CodeBlock

But the `CodeBlock` type only allows strings -- presumably just replacing
(substrings) of the form

    $$$mytoken

with

   \MySpecialToken{$$$mytoken}

will only cause the latter to then get "escaped" out during the final latex
conversion?

Any pointers would be most welcome!

Thanks!

- Ranjit.

* Re: Customize Conversion for Identifiers in Code Blocks
       [not found] ` <5699588b-678c-4de6-96c0-6505e7fbd950-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-01-17 23:06   ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]     ` <CALuQ0m-6JL87AQ6fUy2yRs270iv+ioQv=RZu53Z-Nf5fQcVLkQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-01-17 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can write a filter ... f :: Block -> Block and have something like
the following.

f :: Block -> Block
f (CodeBlock _ s) = RawBlock (Format "latex")  ("\\MySpecialToken{" ++ s ++ "}")
f b = b

Do you also plan to output to other formats? If so then "toJSONFilter"
can take a function of type "f :: Maybe Format -> Block -> Block"
where the first argument is the output format.

Does that make sense?

@ 2015-01-18  0:44       ` Ranjit Jhala
       [not found]         ` <0d47cfc0-2a3d-4248-bd35-317dcd6a738b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ranjit Jhala @ 2015-01-18  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Matthew,

The catch is that there's a bunch of other stuff in the `Block`.

That is, the special token is some substring of `s`

f :: Block -> Block
f (CodeBlock _ s) = RawBlock (Format "latex")  ("\\MySpecialToken{" ++ s ++
"}")
f b = b

and I don't want to lose that. So I can write a function

    f :: Block -> [Block]

where each CodeBlock is expanded into a list of :

  `RawBlock (Format "latex")` of the kind above,
  and the remaining, unchanged CodeBlock

But that causes problems with toJSONFilter as I can't pass in a
transformation of the form

   [Block] -> [Block]

Because there is no instance of Walkable for [Block] ... :(

@ 2015-01-18  0:45           ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]             ` <CALuQ0m8q+VwiaeZ2pJJKUHpx9w8bJgTw6K2N1LqKqHTaA-5tEg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-01-18  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

f :: Maybe Format -> Block -> [Block] should work fine.

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-types-1.12.2.1/docs/Text-Pandoc-JSON.html

@ 2015-01-18  1:15               ` Ranjit Jhala
       [not found]                 ` <ca72b4ed-aac7-4a6a-9e0f-580bcc450f5f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ranjit Jhala @ 2015-01-18  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks! I tried that and the filter indeed compiles but converting a single
`CodeBlock` into a list of `CodeBlock` and `latex` blocks
has the unfortunate effect of introducing line breaks everywhere (I think
this is because a line break is introduced wherever a code block ends,
right?)

@ 2015-01-18 14:22                   ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]                     ` <CALuQ0m8J-s2f3MTNTP9+uhG-QtHaFb6C13YZA91aHJWLauAJag-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-01-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ah I think you will need to do something more complicated then.

Pandoc uses highlighting-kate[1] to do syntax highlighting.

Looking at the API, it seems like it should be possible to perform the
transformation you describe. I can try and figure it out later if you
need some help.

       [not found]                         ` <CALuQ0m8aO6+cTS0M1+_o1iEWNk3H-q4c7o72iuiKEfLuPzoWrA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-01-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/highlighting-kate

@ 2015-01-18 17:31                           ` Ranjit Jhala
From: Ranjit Jhala @ 2015-01-18 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw
  Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks Matthew! I'll look into this. I'm guessing from this

http://blog.jeci.fr/post/87994249356/adding-new-highlighting-language-into-pandoc

That I need to rebuild highlighting-Kate and pandoc? (Or can I specify the XML style file a command line parameter?)