* l geminada
@ 2022-09-12 21:30 Eloi Torrents
       [not found] ` <5a818fe7-360b-4845-ac47-480747a2d616n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Eloi Torrents @ 2022-09-12 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello, how can I type an "l geminada" ( l·l ) in markdown with pandoc?

I attach my attempt and the output which contains unwanted spaces between
the dot.
In latex there is the command \lgem, how can I use it in pandoc?

Thank you

[-- Attachment #2: lgem.pdf --]

* Re: l geminada
       [not found] ` <5a818fe7-360b-4845-ac47-480747a2d616n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-12 21:34   ` Eloi Torrents
       [not found]     ` <13c610f0-1542-47e2-9783-d94c7c4cc52bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Eloi Torrents @ 2022-09-12 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I couldn't attach the source... I'm sorry for the 2 messages.
https://pastebin.com/vp487K3v

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 11:30:54 PM UTC+2 Eloi Torrents wrote:

> Hello, how can I type an "l geminada" ( l·l ) in markdown with pandoc?
>
> I attach my attempt and the output which contains unwanted spaces between
> the dot.
> In latex there is the command \lgem, how can I use it in pandoc?
>
> Thank you

* Re: l geminada
       [not found]     ` <13c610f0-1542-47e2-9783-d94c7c4cc52bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-13 12:37       ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2022-09-13 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

What do you get if you convert your source markdown to LaTeX? `pandoc -o
output.ltx source.md`? (Copy and paste it into the reply message.)

Also try with --pdf-engine=xelatex option. I can't try ATM but I have
typeset the middle dot (in Old Occitan, e.g. _que·l_, contraction of _que
lo_) with XeLaTeX before and never had a problem. It would surprise me if
LaTeX acts up just because the character on either side is _l_ — I would
rather expect the opposite!

Den mån 12 sep. 2022 23:35Eloi Torrents <eloi.torrentsj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> I couldn't attach the source... I'm sorry for the 2 messages.
> https://pastebin.com/vp487K3v
>
> On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 11:30:54 PM UTC+2 Eloi Torrents wrote:
>
>> Hello, how can I type an "l geminada" ( l·l ) in markdown with pandoc?
>>
>> I attach my attempt and the output which contains unwanted spaces between
>> the dot.
>> In latex there is the command \lgem, how can I use it in pandoc?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/13c610f0-1542-47e2-9783-d94c7c4cc52bn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/13c610f0-1542-47e2-9783-d94c7c4cc52bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: l geminada
       [not found] ` <5a818fe7-360b-4845-ac47-480747a2d616n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-13 14:13   ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]     ` <e01c6e9c-2ad2-e426-c78c-128499f05d16-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2022-09-13 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 9/12/22 23:30, Eloi Torrents wrote:
> Hello, how can I type an "l geminada" ( l·l ) in markdown with pandoc?

Hi Eloi,

Unicode seems to have a character for that (in fact,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ŀ redirects to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpunct#Catalan).

> I attach my attempt and the output which contains unwanted spaces
> between the dot.
> In latex there is the command \lgem, how can I use it in pandoc?

I attach the output for the following ConTeXt source, comparing both
with and without the Unicode fix:

  \starttext
    \startTEXpage[offset=1em, align=middle]
      cel·la\\
      ceŀla
      \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

I think that "ceŀla" may be what you intend.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

[-- Attachment #2: ceŀla.pdf --]

* Re: l geminada
       [not found]     ` <e01c6e9c-2ad2-e426-c78c-128499f05d16-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-13 15:28       ` Eloi Torrents
       [not found]         ` <d9a07072-02c7-489d-9b80-f4095ed39548n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Eloi Torrents @ 2022-09-13 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

If I run `pandoc lgem.md -o lgem.ltx` I get:

\hypertarget{pelluxedcules}{%
\section{Pel·lícules}\label{pelluxedcules}}

I think it is a problem of the font, I tried adding
---
fontfamily : dejavu
---
on the header of the markdown document. Now I got the error:

$ pandoc lgem.md -o lgem.pdf

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600
DejaVuSerif-tlf-t1--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for DejaVuSerif-tlf-t1--base.
mktexpk: perhaps DejaVuSerif-tlf-t1--base is missing from the map file.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600
DejaVuSerif-tlf-t1--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for DejaVuSerif-tlf-t1--base.
mktexpk: perhaps DejaVuSerif-tlf-t1--base is missing from the map file.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
Error producing PDF.
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file DejaVuSerif-tlf-t1--base): Font
DejaVuSerif-tlf-t
1--base at 600 not found
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

I'm on void linux, I have dejavu-fonts-ttf and texlive-fontsextra installd.
How can I check if I'm missing some important package?

Using xelatex I don't get the error, but the output is still spaced.

Thank you for the proposal of using "ŀ", I'll use it for now, but I would
like to not have any problem with "l·l".

Eloi

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 4:13:24 PM UTC+2 ousia wrote:

> On 9/12/22 23:30, Eloi Torrents wrote:
> > Hello, how can I type an "l geminada" ( l·l ) in markdown with pandoc?
>
> Hi Eloi,
>
> Unicode seems to have a character for that (in fact,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ŀ redirects to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpunct#Catalan).
>
> > I attach my attempt and the output which contains unwanted spaces
> > between the dot.
> > In latex there is the command \lgem, how can I use it in pandoc?
>
> I attach the output for the following ConTeXt source, comparing both
> with and without the Unicode fix:
>
> \starttext
> \startTEXpage[offset=1em, align=middle]
> cel·la\\
> ceŀla
> \stopTEXpage
> \stoptext
>
> I think that "ceŀla" may be what you intend.
>
> Just in case it might help,
>
> Pablo

* Re: l geminada
       [not found]         ` <d9a07072-02c7-489d-9b80-f4095ed39548n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-13 17:46           ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]             ` <35bbc615-41f4-841a-697d-e689aed0a763-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2022-09-13 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 9/13/22 17:28, Eloi Torrents wrote:
> If I run `pandoc lgem.md -o lgem.ltx` I get:
>
> \hypertarget{pelluxedcules}{%
> \section{Pel·lícules}\label{pelluxedcules}}
>
> I think it is a problem of the font, I tried adding
>
> I'm on void linux, I have dejavu-fonts-ttf and texlive-fontsextra
> installd. How can I check if I'm missing some important package?

Sorry, but last time I used pdflatex it was (almost) two decades ago.
Its updated version is called lualatex.

> Using xelatex I don't get the error, but the output is still spaced.
>
> Thank you for the proposal of using "ŀ", I'll use it for now, but I
> would like to not have any problem with "l·l".

In that case, you could use the following (sorry, ConTeXt source, since
I don’t use LaTeX [but read below]):

  \startluacode
  fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
  name = "liga",
  type = "ligature",
  data = {
      ['ŀ'] = { "l", "·" },
      ['Ŀ'] = { "L", "·" },
    }
  }
  \stopluacode

  \setupbodyfont[termes, 48pt]

  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1em, align=middle]
    cel·la
    ceŀla\\
    CEL·LA
    CEĿLA\\
    \feature[+][smallcaps]
    cel·la
    ceŀla
    \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

It works only for LuaTeX. https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/312154
explains how to use this in LuaLaTeX.

Copy right after "\usepackage{fontspec}" in your LaTeX source (I have no
idea on how to add this automatically when converting Markdown sources):

  \directlua {
    fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
    name = "liga",
    type = "ligature",
    data = {
        ['ŀ'] = { "l", "·" },
        ['Ŀ'] = { "L", "·" },
      }
    }
  }

BTW, as showed in the PDF document, this won’t work with small caps
(either OT feature, or special font).

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

[-- Attachment #2: ceŀla.pdf --]

* AW: l geminada
       [not found]             ` <35bbc615-41f4-841a-697d-e689aed0a763-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-13 19:28               ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-09-13 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You'll need a custom template for this. Or maybe use the `header-includes` feature.

Best,
Denis