Hi! I just ran into the same problem and solved it somewhat manually, but it worked well for a 200+ pages document. Basic approach: unzip the docx file (these are zip-archives with a different extension to the filename), then tweak it a bit to put a text entry of the index we can later use in the file converted by Pandoc, re-zip the beast and the use Pandoc to create a LaTeX file. With the below scripts, the converted file would have a '++index{Index entry}' for each entry. Of course, the '++index' needs to be find-and-replaced to '\index'. Done. Here the details (please excuse the Markdown, I copied from my personal wiki). Hope this helps the one or other out there… # Preserving indices Pandoc does not do indices. So to keep them, unzip the Word file, open `document.xml` in Atom, and replace the index entries with the LaTeX command. First make all xml-tags stand on one line. And replace all index entries by a LaTeX-command. I am using `++` instead of the `\` to make later replacement in the TeX-file easier. _Of course, check after conversion in Pandoc that the `++` needs to me manually turned into a `\` for the index-commands to work._ Now the difficult part: any lines before and after a line starting with `++index` need to be removed, from and until a line starting with something else than `<`. And, there could be several index commands running into each other without any normal text between. So we pull out any index entry and make a `++index` out of it using `sed`, which is dirty, but quick. Then perl is dropped onto the file to pull the `++index` before any xml-tags, which puts it right behind the normal text, where they should go later. Then we write the rest out as is, to make sure all xml-tags Word kept open are properly closed. One small alteration: any text in the Word index command is simply replaced by _FOO_, so it would be easier to track if anything went wrong or these indices somehow pop up again. This can be achieved with the following perl-script saved in WordIndex2LaTeX.pl (and made executable, so chmod +x WordIndex2LaTeX.pl): ``` #!/usr/bin/perl # @Author: Hendrik G. Seliger # @Date: 4 February 2022, 11:34 +01:00 # @Filename: WordIndex2LaTeX.pl # @Last modified time: 4 February 2022, 11:36 +01:00 # @License: GPL3 # @Copyright: © Copyright 2022 by Hendrik G. Seliger ### $keptlines=''; $indexlines=''; while ( ) { if ( ( $_ =~ /^/>\n/g' |sed -E 's/(.)document2.xml ``` Back up `document.xml` and rename `document2.xml` to `document.xml`. Re-zip the document ``` mv document.xml ../.. mv document2.xml document.xml cd .. zip -r ../D.docx * cd .. ``` John MacFarlane schrieb am Montag, 30. August 2021 um 04:07:17 UTC+2: > > Sorry, indexes aren't supported. > > DJ Penton writes: > > > I am new to pandoc. I am under enormous time pressure to convert a docx > > file to latex. This has worked beautifully except that alphabetical > index > > entries in the docx file do not seem to be preserved. I would have > expected > > a latex \index{} tag. Is there a way to do this? > > > > I apologise for asking a question that has probably been answered > > repeatedly. I spent 15 minutes searching for an answer and didn't see > one. > > Probably I just missed it. I must continue with other work on the > document > > for now. > > > > Anyway, thanks in advance; be kind :-) > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/3da0bbf7-36e8-4511-9766-7777ec427133n%40googlegroups.com > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/360a19b9-7a61-4452-8a57-e72cd68f05a1n%40googlegroups.com.