From: Daniel Staal <DStaal-Jdbf3xiKgS8@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Line breaks (Was: Re: Unsupported extension in Commonmark_x resulting in alternative output)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 09:19:15 -0400	[thread overview]

On 6/23/22 2:21 AM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> This is a bit tricky.  escaped_line_breaks isn't really an
> extension for commonmark, because it is part of the core spec.
> The writer uses two spaces instead; both are supported according
> to the spec, and the writer has to make a choice.

As an aside, that particular choice always is a bit touchy to me - while
it *looks* nice, many text editors (including BBEdit, my preferred) will
automatically strip whitespace at the end of a line.  Many users won't
realize it's there in the first place after all, and extra whitespace
can make handling text documents awkward using automated tools.  (And,
in case it ever matters, it can bloat filesizes.)

So relying on whitespace at the end of a line for required behavior is
uncertain at best, in my experience - and this is one thing where I
often have to go back in and manually edit Markdown files after I've
formatted them with Pandoc.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.