* Code blocks in latex
@ 2019-05-29 23:22 Umut Acar
       [not found] ` <b08442d7-e415-4491-b841-705cf46ddc1f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Umut Acar @ 2019-05-29 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Is it possible to specify a programming language for lstlisting environments in latex? This is for latex to html translation with syntax highlighting.

I got good results with markdown and html translation by using Kate XML specifications but the analogous approach doesn't seem to work with latex and lstlistings.

Thank you!

* Re: Code blocks in latex
       [not found] ` <b08442d7-e415-4491-b841-705cf46ddc1f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-30  5:20   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2zhn4iklq.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-05-30  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umut Acar, pandoc-discuss

Yes, you can.  Not as many languages are supported.

Umut Acar <umutacar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Is it possible to specify a programming language for lstlisting environments in latex? This is for latex to html translation with syntax highlighting.
>
> I got good results with markdown and html translation by using Kate XML specifications but the analogous approach doesn't seem to work with latex and lstlistings.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --

* Re: Code blocks in latex
       [not found]     ` <m2zhn4iklq.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-30 14:07       ` Umut Acar
       [not found]         ` <532362a8-94bf-4c7a-846e-896951036b5c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Umut Acar @ 2019-05-30 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Indeed, it works for quite a few standard languages but are custom language
definitions supported?  In markdown -->html conversion via custom XML
spec's (Kate) seems possible. I got good results with that. Is this not
supported for LaTeX --> html?

BTW, in case this question seems esoteric: I wish to use pandoc for
teaching computer science courses, where we define our own languages for
instructional purposes.

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 1:21:04 AM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Yes, you can.  Not as many languages are supported.
>
> Umut Acar <umut...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <javascript:>> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to specify a programming language for lstlisting
> environments in latex? This is for latex to html translation with syntax
> highlighting.
> >
> > I got good results with markdown and html translation by using Kate XML
> specifications but the analogous approach doesn't seem to work with latex
> and lstlistings.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > --
> <javascript:>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/b08442d7-e415-4491-b841-705cf46ddc1f%40googlegroups.com.

* Re: Code blocks in latex
       [not found]         ` <532362a8-94bf-4c7a-846e-896951036b5c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-30 17:37           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <yh480kef4f6dy1.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-05-30 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umut Acar, pandoc-discuss

Umut Acar <umutacar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Indeed, it works for quite a few standard languages but are custom language
> definitions supported?  In markdown -->html conversion via custom XML
> spec's (Kate) seems possible. I got good results with that. Is this not
> supported for LaTeX --> html?

To be clear, do I understand correctly that you're
converting from LaTeX to HTML, and you want LaTeX
lstlistings environments to be converted with
highlighting?

That will work with recognized languages (those that
lstlisting environment supports).  And you can make
it work with unrecognized languages, by using a filter.
Note:

% pandoc -f latex -t native
\begin{lstlisting}[language=foobar]
hi = 3
\end{lstlisting}
^D
[CodeBlock ("",[],[("language","foobar")]) "hi = 3"]

What you need to do highlighting (using
--syntax-definitio=foobar.xml) is rather

[CodeBlock ("",["foobar"],[]) "hi = 3"]

The solution is to use a simple lua filter
that finds code blocks with a language attribute and
makes its value a class.

* Re: Code blocks in latex
       [not found]             ` <yh480kef4f6dy1.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-30 17:38               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <yh480kblzj6dwt.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-05-30 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umut Acar, pandoc-discuss

John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Umut Acar <umutacar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Indeed, it works for quite a few standard languages but are custom language
>> definitions supported?  In markdown -->html conversion via custom XML
>> spec's (Kate) seems possible. I got good results with that. Is this not
>> supported for LaTeX --> html?
>
> To be clear, do I understand correctly that you're
> converting from LaTeX to HTML, and you want LaTeX
> lstlistings environments to be converted with
> highlighting?
>
> That will work with recognized languages (those that
> lstlisting environment supports).  And you can make
> it work with unrecognized languages, by using a filter.
> Note:
>
> % pandoc -f latex -t native
> \begin{lstlisting}[language=foobar]
> hi = 3
> \end{lstlisting}
> ^D
> [CodeBlock ("",[],[("language","foobar")]) "hi = 3"]
>
> What you need to do highlighting (using
> --syntax-definitio=foobar.xml) is rather
>
> [CodeBlock ("",["foobar"],[]) "hi = 3"]
>
> The solution is to use a simple lua filter
> that finds code blocks with a language attribute and
> makes its value a class.

Ultimately we may want to change pandoc so it
recognizes a language attribute if there is no
relevant class (feel free to put up an issue
about this), but this will work for now.

* Re: Code blocks in latex
       [not found]                 ` <yh480kblzj6dwt.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-30 22:42                   ` Umut Acar
       [not found]                     ` <d2d76f3d-e69a-4c98-81a7-4671370cbb66-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Umut Acar @ 2019-05-30 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes, I wish to convert from latex to xml.  I don't know much about pandoc
filters  and lua but they seem cool.  I will see if I can get this to
work.

@ 2019-05-30 22:43                       ` Umut Acar
       [not found]                         ` <19bc9d9e-44b6-4a77-a35d-6ae712e1cfb2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Umut Acar @ 2019-05-30 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

i meant latex to html if that matters.

@ 2019-05-31  4:18                           ` Umut Acar
       [not found]                             ` <39924eae-9f8c-4597-bd01-11427cf5232b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Umut Acar @ 2019-05-31  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I hacked up a lua filter that appears to work.  Thank you!  Issue opened
here:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5540

@ 2019-06-01  7:19                               ` Pranesh Prakash
       [not found]                                 ` <32793437-9280-4686-bd84-c7425e893d87-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2019-06-01  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This might be of use to someone else reading this thread later.  I recently
did MD -> PDF via LaTex and did the custom highlighting in the following
manner.

I indicated the language in the beginning of the code block:

``` {.xml}

Then I created an xml.tex file with the following content:

% Contents of xml.tex
\usepackage{xcolor}
\definecolor{maroon}{rgb}{0.5,0,0}
\definecolor{darkgreen}{rgb}{0,0.5,0}
\lstdefinelanguage{xml}
{
  morestring=[s]{"}{"},
  morecomment=[s]{?}{?},
  morecomment=[s]{!--}{--},
  commentstyle=\color{gray},
  moredelim=[s][\color{black}]{>}{<},
  moredelim=[s][\color{red}]{\ }{=},
  stringstyle=\color{blue},
  identifierstyle=\color{maroon}
}

\lstset{
  basicstyle=\ttfamily,
  columns=fullflexible,
  showstringspaces=false,
  commentstyle=\color{gray}\upshape,
  numbers=left,
  numberstyle=\footnotesize,
  backgroundcolor=\color[RGB]{248,248,248},
  breaklines=true,
  breakatwhitespace=true,
  breakautoindent=true,
  escapeinside={\%*}{*)},
}

Then I called pandoc using the line:

$ pandoc -f markdown+smart+raw_tex article.md --standalone --listings -H xml
.tex -H footnotes.tex --bibliography biblio.bib --csl chicago-fullnote-
bibliography.csl -o article.pdf

That generated the right highlighting in the PDF file.

When I tried generating an HTML file, the custom highlighting did not carry
over, though the XML syntax was highlighted.

Regards,
Pranesh

@ 2019-06-01 19:20                                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-06-01 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pranesh Prakash, pandoc-discuss

--listings only works with LaTeX.
Custom highlighting defined with the listings package
won't carry over to other formats.