* Inserting citations into text editors
@ 2017-09-08 17:15 Mendel Kranz
       [not found] ` <97a91bc5-d1da-45ba-8763-1617c8760f88-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mendel Kranz @ 2017-09-08 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've been using a number of different writing programs recently, and each
time I make a switch I always run into the same problem, how to easily
insert citations. Most recently I've been satisfied with Sublime Text and
this plugin <https://github.com/sjpfenninger/citebibtex> that reads my .bib
file and easily inserts the pandoc citation. Now I'm fiddling with Ulysses,
and I've run into the problem again: how to easily access and insert my
citations. I plan on continuing to use a .bib file and convert with pandoc.

Since I use Launchbar, I thought that if there were a way to search through
my .bib file with that and insert my citation, this would make the issues
disappear. However, I'm really not sure how to do it. Essentially I'm
looking for the same functionality of that plugin just not tied to sublime
text. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

One related problem I run into with other options, is that I often have one
author with multiple books which can make searching through citekeys
difficult. For instance I may have 5 cite keys listed as @foo123, @foo345,
@foo678, etc. So if, when searching, it could display the author name and
book, and then insert the citekey that would be the best!

PS I've seen some options such as this one by David Sanson
<https://github.com/dsanson/bibdesk-pandoc-export-templates> which uses
bibdesk, and this one which uses text expander
<https://github.com/andrewheiss/pandoc-citekeys>, both of which I've found
a little awkward.

* Re: Inserting citations into text editors
       [not found] ` <97a91bc5-d1da-45ba-8763-1617c8760f88-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-09-17 14:50   ` iandol
       [not found]     ` <a422ae0b-1a19-4c4f-82a0-048a71e9c3c9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: iandol @ 2017-09-17 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Well, you don't say which reference manager you use, but if you use
Bookends, and you'd consider using Alfred (I switched from Quicksilver),
I've curated a set of Alfred tools including one which searches the
database, and inserts your Pandoc formatted [@citation] in any text editor
or word processor:

https://github.com/iandol/bookends-tools — becite tool

You bring up Alfred, type in an author and get an inline list of references
in the Alfred window, then ⌘enter to paste the citation. I use it with
Scrivener, which already has excellent integration with Bookends (⌘Y quick
switches you between text⬄ref), when I know exactly the paper I want to
cite.

@ 2017-09-20 22:03       ` Mendel Kranz
       [not found]         ` <948aa732-6996-44b2-a400-8798e5ba3f61-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mendel Kranz @ 2017-09-20 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This looks like a great set of tools! Unfortunately, I use Papers, and I
tend to manage my citations with just a .bib file that Papers generates. I
might try and adapt some of this to work with that though, and to use
Launchbar. Not too much work I hope...

@ 2023-01-06 12:54           ` J
       [not found]             ` <c8032379-cd82-4001-93ba-1e155b364bcdn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: J @ 2023-01-06 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Could you suggest what set of tools you ended up with to easily insert
citations into markdown text ? :D

@ 2023-01-06 16:05               ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                 ` <875ydj4osy.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2023-01-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I believe that Zotero has become a semi-standard as far as reference
managers go.

If you want a Markdown editor suitable for scholars and journalists, I
recommend you try <https://zettlr.com>. If your work is more on the data
science side of things, you might also like the Markdown editor in
RStudio <https://posit.co/downloads>.

Furthermore, many text editors have plugins to make citation handling
convenient, including vim and emacs.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2023-01-06 17:03                   ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2023-01-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

BTW: I'm looking forward to RStudio's editor being made a stand-alone Quarto editor -- I think that's what is in the works. It's quite good, and has the best table editor (e.g., pandoc's grid tables) I've come across. (I think Zettlr's table editor is being scratched and rewritten.) If Quarto didn't rewrite my reference links, I'd happily use it.

https://github.com/quarto-dev/quarto/issues/42

@ 2023-01-07 17:34   ` Pedro P. Palazzo
       [not found]     ` <e4b2b848-8b7f-4f8d-ade5-0ddc1b95fc42n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pedro P. Palazzo @ 2023-01-07 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> One related problem I run into with other options, is that I often have
one author with multiple books which can make searching through citekeys
difficult. For instance I may have 5 cite keys listed as @foo123, @foo345,
@foo678, etc. So if, when searching, it could display the author name and
book, and then insert the citekey that would be the best!

On Zotero, the BetterBibTeX plugin allows you to customize the citekey to
be exported in the .bib file. This way you can use something like
`@author:2010firstwordoftitle` to make it easier to find what you need.

@ 2023-01-08 10:52       ` John Carter Wood
       [not found]         ` <4e64b509-7781-4511-856c-723daf2aae4fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Carter Wood @ 2023-01-08 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use Zotero with BetterBibTeX (BBT) to manage my references and generate
.bib / .json files.

For text editing I use Emacs to write in Markdown and have incorporated
helm-bibtex to allow me to enter citations easily:
https://github.com/tmalsburg/helm-bibtex

I'm not certain that this kind of set-up will solve your problem (as I use
pretty standard Zotero styles for my citekeys), but as others have noted,
BBT allows you to change the formatting of citekeys. I haven't experimented
too much with helm-bibtex, but it works well with Emacs. Emacs is kind of a
world in itself to get into, but I am comforted at least by the probability
that it won't disappear any time soon and I can continue using my hard-won
knowledge till at least the end of my academic career. :-)

@ 2023-01-08 20:36           ` John Purnell
From: John Purnell @ 2023-01-08 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I also use Zotero with the BetterBibTeX extension on a Mac and make use
of its provision of the Zotero citation selector in an AppleScript
application which I have bound to a keyboard shortcut which inserts a
Pandoc citation into any configured text editor. Here is the AppleScript
in case it's of interest:

```
# Activates the Zotero Add Citation dialog in the specified text editor
# Requires the Better BibTex for Zotero plugin:
https://retorque.re/zotero-better-bibtex

#
# Configuration Variables
#

# Debugging switch
global gBlnDebug

# Bundle ID of text editor
property pNameEditorBID : "com.sublimetext.4"

#
# Main Code
#

set gBlnDebug to false

try

	set txtZoteroStatus to do shell script ¬
		"/usr/bin/curl 'http://localhost:23119/better-bibtex/cayw?probe=1'
2>/dev/null; exit 0"
	if txtZoteroStatus is "ready" then
		set txtCitation to do shell script ¬
			"/usr/bin/curl
'http://localhost:23119/better-bibtex/cayw?format=pandoc&brackets=1'
2>/dev/null; exit 0"
		# "/usr/bin/curl
'http://localhost:23119/better-bibtex/cayw?format=pandoc&brackets=1&clipboard=1'
2>/dev/null; exit 0"
		tell application id pNameEditorBID
			activate
			if not txtCitation is null then
				repeat while not frontmost
					tell me to delay 0.1
				end repeat
				tell application id "com.apple.systemevents" to keystroke
txtCitation
				# tell application id "com.apple.systemevents" to keystroke "v"
using command down
			end if
		end tell
	else
		tell application id "org.zotero.zotero" to activate
	end if

end try
```

The application needs security permissions for both "Accessibility", and
"Automation" for "System Events".

On 2023-01-08, at 23:52 +1300, John Carter Wood <woodjo-ZOsAvrTRSvuEhhMi0yms2Q@public.gmane.org>