From: Kolen Cheung <christian.kolen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Math without span tags around it
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 19:04:47 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Just to add one small note: if your website contains any amount of images,
the amount of saving you could do to image without having significantly
worse/discernible result is those media. One tool I’ve used that is
excellent to reduce image size is imageoptim-cli (note the cli there,
imageoptim is something else, but used in imageoptim-cli), mac only though.
It uses most open source algorithm the authors can find and process each
image by all of them, and in the end the smallest wins.

And then there’s vector vs rasterized image; in the case of rasterized
image, image dimension (how much is enough? do you target “retina”
display?); format (png can be better than jpg, and vice versa in different
situation); etc. And then there’s javascript and css delivery, and if you
use popular one, you should use cdn rather than hosting by yourself.

And probably you know about js and css compression? There’s lots of them
out there, again, can give you much more significant reduction in size then
in HTML. From my experience, I don’t worry about HTML compression (size
reduction) after seeing how little effect it has, comparing to the others
I’ve mentioned.

In short, again, profiling is very important, and remember to compare
results *after* gzip. On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 2:26:09 PM UTC-8,

Thank you as always for your prompt reply, John. No harm indeed, though I'd