* Math without span tags around it
@ 2016-11-20 21:35 Ezequiel
       [not found] ` <2f1217f1-71da-445c-a64c-b39f014f5a02-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ezequiel @ 2016-11-20 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello! I noticed pandoc outputs math content as "<span class="math inline">
... </span>", where "..." as far as I've tried is perfectly fine and much
less verbose. Is there an option to output HTML without these tags? As I'm
not planning to style the classes math, inline or display, the tags are
prescindible.

* Re: Math without span tags around it
       [not found] ` <2f1217f1-71da-445c-a64c-b39f014f5a02-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-11-20 22:02   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20161120220226.GB96111-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

No.  But those tags shouldn't do any harm.

+++ Ezequiel [Nov 20 16 13:35 ]:

@ 2016-11-20 22:26       ` Ezequiel
       [not found]         ` <b69b5070-89fa-490b-a955-99b23ffa4c93-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ezequiel @ 2016-11-20 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you as always for your prompt reply, John. No harm indeed, though I'd
say there are benefits, in the form of a cleaner source code, less
bandwidth consumption and hence a slightly smaller footprint on our planet.
In any event, all these benefits sound like a joke considering an average
web page today, as well as some news on the environmental front. Thanks
again.

@ 2016-11-21  9:57           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-21  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can always postprocess the HTML and filter these out if
it's important to you...

+++ Ezequiel [Nov 20 16 14:26 ]:

@ 2016-11-22  2:52           ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-22  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Note that

   1. typically when a server is setup correctly, the webpages are
   delivered with gzip. You should wrote some test and profile first and see
   how much bandwidth is going to be saved *after* gzip. Chances are,
   negligible since the same pattern is repeated.
   2. *with* the span, the source code is *cleaner*, since it is more
   semantic. If *clean* means as short as possible without being semantic,
   there are aggressive HTML5 compressor that removes a lot of things for
   semantic only but otherwise resulted in correctly rendered document. But,
   there seems to have a debate here, since semantically incorrect webpages
   *might* take more time (and/or computational power) to render,
   especially on smartphone. If it is true, it means you are choosing between
   data rate *or* battery life (and time), not both. Together with the last
   point about gzip, the advantage probably aren’t enough to justify it.
   3. this comes after the last point: accessibility. I don’t know enough
   to say anything definite though. If it is your purpose that want to clean
   HTML heavily, you should research about accessibility first. I think
   equality is more important than being *a bit* more environmentally
   friendly (and then there’s a question what kind of environmental benefits
   you are looking at exactly?).

To conclude, I suggest you to profile it after gzip first.

@ 2016-11-22  3:04           ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-22  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss