From: Alan Storm <alan.storm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Pandoc, XeLaTex, and Hebrew Characters
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 09:35:05 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

New to the group, and only (so far!) the most casual of pandoc users. I'm
having some trouble getting pandoc to do things that the xelatex command
can do.  I'm looking for someone (or someones) that can help get me to a
solution **and** explain what pandoc is doing behind the scenes so I can
debug these sort of problems in the future.

In short -- I have an tex document with some hebrew characters.  If I use
the  xelatex command directly to convert this document, the hebrew
characters are rendered correctly in the PDF

    $ xelatex simple.tex

    However, if I attempt to do the conversion with pandoc using the
xelatex engine

    $ pandoc --latex-engine=xelatex simple.tex -o from-pandoc.pdf

pandoc will render the PDF **without** the hebrew characters.  There's just
blank white space where the hebrew should be.

So, first question if anyone knows: How do I make pandoc render the hebrew
into a PDF?

If there's no clear path to that answer, how to do I debug the
pandoc/xelatex interaction in order to understand why pandoc's use of the
engine produces different results, and how I might be able to change that
invocation.  Regarding this -- my understanding of pandoc is very limited,
so baby words/steps that let me become less of a baby are appreciated :)

Also, I have some specific examples posted over on the tex StackExchange
with hebrew examples

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/375380/getting-hebrew-support-working-with-pandoc/375443

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/375380/getting-hebrew-support-working-with-pandoc

Finally -- my ultimate goal here is to convert HTML documents with hebrew
into PDFs.  As that also doesn't work, I'm focused on understanding the
[tex] to [pdf] conversion.  If there's some extra wrinkle involved with
[html] to [pdf] ( which I presume -- (correctly?) -- involves xelatex in
the middle) feel free to chime in there as well.