* ANN: PanWriter, a markdown editor with pandoc integration
@ 2018-11-05 11:01 mb21
       [not found] ` <d364cb1f-aaab-4e8f-a18a-23fd6a6c6283-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2018-11-05 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

If you prefer to write your markdown files in your code editor (vim, emacs,
Atom etc.), then PanWriter might not be for you.

But I like to have a different editor for prose than for code: larger
font-size and margins, no line-numbers, buttons or colorful syntax
highlighting. I have fallen in love with beautifully simple,
distraction-free markdown editors, that let you focus on the content of
your text. Yet I still wished, I didn't have to switch to the terminal to
invoke pandoc, and then switch to a PDF viewer to just quickly see what the
output would look like. If that sounds appealing, then PanWriter just might
be for you.

PanWriter is also for all those people that prefer GUIs to the terminal,
and for that reason never have given pandoc a try, which is a shame. The
mapping to pandoc is actually quite simple. `File -> Import` (or simply
dragging e.g. a docx file on the PanWriter app) calls `pandoc --to
markdown`. Conversely, `File -> Export` calls `pandoc --from markdown` –
commandline-arguments can be specified as part of the YAML metadata.

PanWriter's preview pane actually does not use pandoc for latency reasons.
Instead, it uses a JavaScript markdown parser that renders to HTML. This
has the disadvantage that there are currently still some discrepancies in
how some markdown is handled, but it has the advantage that you can layout
your document with CSS and see changes instantaneously... which is the
second unique feature in PanWriter: the preview is paginated and you can
export to PDF directly from that HTML/CSS-based preview and the page-breaks
are exactly there.

Check it out: https://github.com/mb21/panwriter/

PanWriter is very usable, but also very much a work in progress, as there
are still a few rough edges and only the macOS version is pre-built.

Feedback, suggestions and contributions very much welcome! Feel free to
comment here or create GitHub issues.

@ 2018-11-06  4:55   ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]     ` <d5fdb221-7bdb-49d0-958d-5c692752ebc4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2018-11-06  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for doing this! I’ll test it soon.

So everything is parsed in JavaScript? There’s an issue about making pandoc free of non Haskell code, originated from people wanting to generate pandoc in JavaScript. Would that be useful in this project?

I see you’ve an issue discussing licensing issue. It’s a difficult choice. Any plan on making it available to iOS? This is the toughest platform and personally one thing I miss in iOS a way to work with pandoc document. If you want to deploy on iOS, then GPL help you to avoid others making a clone there. But if you don’t, then GPL will prevents others to make it available to iOS.

* Re: ANN: PanWriter, a markdown editor with pandoc integration
       [not found]     ` <d5fdb221-7bdb-49d0-958d-5c692752ebc4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-11-06  7:15       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-11-06  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kolen Cheung, pandoc-discuss

Kolen Cheung <christian.kolen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Thanks for doing this! I’ll test it soon.
>
> So everything is parsed in JavaScript? There’s an issue about making pandoc free of non Haskell code, originated from people wanting to generate pandoc in JavaScript. Would that be useful in this project?

I assume you're just using an unrelated javascript
library for this, but you could actually use a
modified version of pandoc compiled via ghcjs:
https://github.com/osener/markup.rocks
http://markup.rocks

@ 2018-11-06 13:33   ` Melroch
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhC3WFg64N9Fw2BYNVTP-oHU4tBzAe1LWwn27V5WXLMrzw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Melroch @ 2018-11-06 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well done Mauro! As you know from our recent discussion I'm quite
comfortable in (g)Vim, having built up my own Pandoc toolbox and work flow
in and around it, but as you say this is likely to attract a clientele
which isn't quite comfortable with code editors — yet sufficiently
uncomfortable with "word processors" I would add. Hopefully there will be
Linux and Windows versions too! This said I wonder whether the use of a js
library is necessary. Pandoc does Markdown-to-HTML quite fast, so automatic
conversion with Pandoc followed by automatic reloading/rendering of the
HTML may be a worthwhile option, even though I realize that any non-instant
preview rendering may seem slow if your frame of reference isn't LaTeX! I
for one would find proper rendering of Pandoc specialties more important
than speed in any case. I'm usually on a desktop with two screens or one
screen large enough to have an editor window and a PDF viewer or browser
window side by side. I have gotten used to automatic reloading of the
rendered version, either natively in evince or through  a browser plugin.
Alas the Firefox plugin I used to use doesn't work any more but several
chrome solutions are mentioned e.g. at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5588658/auto-reload-browser-when-i-save-changes-to-html-file-in-chrome

@ 2018-11-06 13:54       ` mauro.bieg-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
From: mauro.bieg-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2018-11-06 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Indeed, currently I'm just using the JavaScript library markdown-it for the preview. The compiled-to-ghc/javascript pandoc is quite an impressive feat, but the latency is currently too high for the editor preview pane for my taste. But I might give it another try when @jgm's new markdown reader arrives in pandoc, but most likely it won't be faster than calling out to a pandoc process. Apparently, that's exactly what https://atom.io/packages/markdown-preview-plus does. If that turns out to be a better approach, I might change PanWriter, or make it a configurable option... but for now I wanted to give markdown-it a try.

markdown-it with a bunch of plugins gets us to around 90% of pandoc flavoured markdown. That seems kind of good enough, assuming we don't run into too many edge-cases – but CommonMark-compliance on both ends should hopefully take care of that? We'll see... feedback appreciated! Currently, we still need bracketed_spans and grid_tables markdown-it plugins, if someone has experience with markdown-it and wants to tack a look that would be great! See https://github.com/mb21/panwriter#markdown-syntax

Interestingly, the preview is kind of not that an important part for me personally when using pandoc for export. But I really enjoy just double-clicking the .md file, having it open in PanWriter in a large and pleasant font, and then simply hitting Cmd-E to export. Without having to open the commandline and fiddle with bash scripts... but maybe that's just me 😉

If we get markdown-it to behave well enough, we could also eventually come up with an iOS version. But that would require a different wrapper framework than Electron. Alternatively, you could call to a server with pandoc installed from iOS. Anyway, first priority is currently getting PanWriter to 1.0 plus a Linux/Windows version. Still some work there!

@ 2018-11-06 13:56       ` Melroch
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhD61gP3zomvxKPbw+66rjBFFuj2dwwFOFJUTCyB=PfGVg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Melroch @ 2018-11-06 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Answering myself this oneliner allegedly reloads a chrome window/tab on
Linux I'm AFK this week but will try it when I get back:

https://gist.github.com/razius/8503625#gistcomment-1265902

@ 2018-11-08  4:36           ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]             ` <09748618-2d79-434e-8d96-936a7f8b6564-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2018-11-08  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Some of my pandoc GUI experience: My current way of having live pandoc
preview is using Marked 2 on Mac. From my testing it gives me the best
preview experience when editing a document. It can optionally use pandoc as
backend. On file save (working in another editor, MultiMarkdown Composer),
Marked 2 will generate the html and then go to the last edited location.
Often time a markdown live preview will have a "flickering" that the
document jumped to another location, at least momentarily and some
permanently, but usually not for Marked 2.

Another thing I need in markdown is MathJax, since PanWriter is in JS, are
there any plan to integrate MathJax "natively"?

Good choice on the Electron framework. Hopefully that makes multi-platform
deployment relatively painless. And JS is fast lately. The markup.rocks
seems to be out-dated because of non-haskell dependencies. Having an
independent renderer that does not depends on pandoc itself is a good
choice (even if you're going to provide markup.rocks backend optionally),
because of the GPL licensing issue. (That's also what I did in pancritic.)
With GPL it can never enters the iOS app store.

@ 2018-11-08 17:25               ` mb21
       [not found]                 ` <d00b20ee-026e-4376-be9e-0212700e4ba8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2018-11-08 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for your thoughts.

> Another thing I need in markdown is MathJax, since PanWriter is in JS,
are there any plan to integrate MathJax "natively"?

Math support is actually already in PanWriter, using KaTeX though.

@ 2018-11-09 21:42                   ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2018-11-09 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

As I'm typing, the preview on the right flicker left and right by a few
pixels. Are you seeing this?

@ 2018-11-09 21:46                   ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]                     ` <be531a2a-134a-43fb-b550-fd0fa8d19e1a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2018-11-09 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Peeking at the code, seems trivial to add MathJax support, true?

@ 2018-11-10 13:45                       ` mb21
       [not found]                         ` <83470a82-7e88-4d03-b87b-2a122b52b62c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2018-11-10 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Anything where you really need MathJax and KaTeX isn't good enough? The
trouble with MathJax is that it operates on the DOM, so you have wait for
it to do its thing – and only then can we call paged.js to do the
pagination.

About the flickering, that's also due to paged.js. I just pushed a commit
and added a button to disable paginated preview (which I had planned to do
all along).

@ 2018-11-11 21:31                           ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]                             ` <3f9193e5-55f5-4a8c-a01d-abfabdfc167e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2018-11-11 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

There are a tons of things I used in MathJax that aren't supported in KaTeX, nor pandoc in general. This is one of the problem I experienced when writing Math in pandoc.

To name a few, all those environments supported in MathJax (such as align, aligned, case, etc.), and then I even wrote a physics package in MathJax (which is another source of problem since it is not trivial to configure MathJax in pandoc, default template causes problems.)

I'm using pandoc with MathJax as engine to render in Marked 2, I don't recall it has significant lag. But I'm not sure since this set up is relatively new and haven't worked on lengthy Math document on it yet.

I guess the trick Marked 2 is doing is essentially taking a diff. between the original generated HTML and the newly generated HTML and do something about it such that the preview is very stable (no flickering) and will stick to the "last edit" location. I've used MultiMarkdown for that in the past and the preview often jumped.

I'm also thinking about the packaging stradegy of LaTeX macros. The physics package in MathJax is good, except that setting it up is a barrier. I'm thinking about putting all of them in a text file (like a style file or a package) and include it using either a filter or makefile. But doing so would mean it is difficult to get it working in something like PanWriter which might not parse the LaTeX macros.

MathJax did it (parsing macros) but it is annoying that pandoc and MathJax expects a different syntax. In pandoc macros are bare, without delimiter, but in MathJax they have to be put in delimiters.

There's a lot of random thoughts above but I guess the point is yes I need MathJax, but even so it doesn't solve all the problems.

@ 2018-11-13 19:51                               ` mb21
From: mb21 @ 2018-11-13 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss