my use case is to use pandoc md as a quasi-universal way to write text that I can output to pdf, html, and pptx. unfortunately, I am limited by the lack of multi-column cells :-(. On Friday, June 17, 2022 at 10:36:15 AM UTC-7 John MacFarlane wrote: > Daniel Staal writes: > > > On 6/16/22 1:21 PM, John MacFarlane wrote: > >> I don't know what the best solution is. Pandoc is really > >> designed to preserve the features of documents that are encoded > >> in its types. Anything else -- including the use of > >> "stringly typed" attributes -- is a bit of a hack, and tends to > >> lead to unmaintainable messes down the road. > >> > >> We could try to establish some generic conventions for > >> representing things like vertical-alignment in the attributes, > >> e.g. with a "vertical-align" attribute that gets interpreted > >> by different writers, but as I said, once we depart from the > >> structured types things get to be a bit of a mess. > > > > A thought: One option would be to suggest some generic conventions for > > readers, but maintain that *writers* will ignore anything not in the > > official AST. This would allow people like the original poster to > > handle many issues with custom LUA filters/writers, and if any > > particular attribute becomes widespread in readers you can decide if you > > want to adopt it into the official AST and add it to writers. > > That's more or less what I was thinking. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/3dff9bb1-eed9-4252-9b72-1aa090c5865fn%40googlegroups.com.