* Nested tables: HTML writer bug?
@ 2022-07-22 11:00 William Lupton
       [not found] ` <CAEe_xxg174vpMGdEwzx-USMNPPodVOC0LqVCx9SEGxpGA7pDiA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-07-22 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

All,

[Forked from
https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/5O6iYmUwFJ8/m/biiwj2njAAAJ]

In the above thread I presented the grid.md example shown at the bottom of
this message. I also couldn't resist trying another level of nesting,
resulting in the grid2.md example shown below. This works, but I'm
wondering whether there's a bug (in the HTML writer) relating to how nested
grid table widths are calculated:

   - pandoc -s grid2.md -o grid2.html gives the first image shown below
   the markdown, in which the nested grid table has a scroll bar
   - The table and column widths are as shown immediately below and I'm
   wondering where the width:44% came from. Removing it gives the second
   image below the markdown (no scroll bar)

I'm not seriously suggesting actually using a text editor to create deeply
nested tables such as these... but given that it works I wanted to
understand what was going on with the table width calculation.

Thanks,
William

% xmllint -format grid2.html | egrep -e '<(\/?table|col )'
        <col style="width: 18%"/>
        <col style="width: 11%"/>
        <col style="width: 50%"/>
                <col style="width: 18%"/>
                <col style="width: 26%"/>

*grid2.md*

+------------+-------+-----------------------------------+
| Fruit      | Price | Advantages                        |
+============+=======+===================================+
| Bananas    | $1.34 | - built-in wrapper                |
|            |       | - bright color                    |
+------------+-------+-----------------------------------+
| Oranges    | $2.10 | - cures scurvy                    |
|            |       | - tasty                           |
+------------+-------+-----------------------------------+
| Apple (pi) | $3.14 | +------------+------------------+ |
|            |       | | One        | Two              | |
|            |       | +============+==================+ |
|            |       | | my         | table            | |
|            |       | +------------+------------------+ |
|            |       | | is         | | Three | Four | | |
|            |       | |            | |-------+------| | |
|            |       | |            | | very  | nice | | |
|            |       | +------------+------------------+ |
+------------+-------+-----------------------------------+

[image: Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 11.46.56.png]

[image: Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 11.57.56.png]

*grid.md*

+---------------+---------------+--------------------+
| Fruit         | Price         | Advantages         |
+===============+===============+====================+
| Bananas       | $1.34         | - built-in wrapper |
|               |               | - bright color     |
+---------------+---------------+--------------------+
| Oranges       | $2.10         | - cures scurvy     |
|               |               | - tasty            |
+---------------+---------------+--------------------+
| Apple (pi)    | $3.14         | | One | Two   |    |
|               |               | |-----+-------|    |
|               |               | | my  | table |    |
|               |               | | is  | nice  |    |

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 11.46.56.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 94944 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 11.57.56.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 97185 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 23.36.36.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 83221 bytes --]

* Re: Nested tables: HTML writer bug?
       [not found] ` <CAEe_xxg174vpMGdEwzx-USMNPPodVOC0LqVCx9SEGxpGA7pDiA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-22 11:16   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <8576E560-B7B5-49B5-9DDC-87EF9AC48F81-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The `width: 44%` comes in because the nested table is 44% of the overall column width.

Browsers then interpret this as 44% of the containing cell, I guess, which is why you get the odd output.

I don't see a good solution here.  The problem is that 44% will be interpreted relative to line length in other formats (e.g. Markdown, LaTeX), so we don't want to change the markdown reader so that it assigns this embedded table a higher relative width.  Nor is it clear how we'd change the HTML writer to interpret this width differently.  I suppose we could keep track of the width of the containing cell and recompute based on that.  You can submit a bug report if you like.

@ 2022-07-22 11:55       ` William Lupton
       [not found]         ` <CAEe_xxiXYY7V5J5t0HEc1tNrdTuHhXhny2rizBw=RsY-1dEFqA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-07-22 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks!

> I suppose we could keep track of the width of the containing cell and
recompute based on that.

This seems like the right thing to do.

> You can submit a bug report if you like.

OK.

@ 2022-07-23 21:24           ` EBkysko
       [not found]             ` <1e1779ab-afde-43e0-8c07-ffa63125e07en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: EBkysko @ 2022-07-23 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

A possible temporary solution (for html, not extensively tested) is to add
this to the style sheet (or as `header-includes` in yaml):

`table table {display:table}`

ie, normal table behavior for inner tables; the default style for the
pandoc html writer is `table {display:block}`.

@ 2022-07-24 12:00               ` William Lupton
       [not found]                 ` <CAEe_xxgpYb4c4JnkpZFZHq-ogsEw2n-C2rkjNMxs9VGz9+DjFg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-07-24 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Interesting. I wonder why the default HTML style has table{display:
block;}. If it didn't, the problem would go away, yes?

Note that this setting was part of https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/pull/6601,
which was merged on 20 Sep 2020
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/pull/6601#event-3785590344>.

@ 2022-07-24 18:16                   ` EBkysko
       [not found]                     ` <4137c27d-9458-47d4-8a81-af1002db785an-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: EBkysko @ 2022-07-24 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

usually a hack to display tables on small screens

see:
Displaying large tables in small spaces
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/table#displaying_large_tables_in_small_spaces>

@ 2022-07-25 16:44                       ` William Lupton
       [not found]                         ` <CAEe_xxj=LxGTmE+Y5rum7+6JQ7PmfFhRcgP4ppo-gH_=pyT78g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-07-25 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Any opinions on whether the proposed fix should be to the HTML table width
calculation or to the style?

@ 2022-07-25 17:52                           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-25 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'd like to hear from Mauro Bieg about why the style says 'display: block' before deciding about this.