* How improve syntax highlighter parsing for new operators ?
@ 2021-05-20 12:29 christophe dervieux
       [not found] ` <63c327e2-daff-4e59-bb7f-e194f98dfd81n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: christophe dervieux @ 2021-05-20 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I wanted to make sure on where to report or look at in order to improve the
Pandoc block highlighting.

Recent version of R has added new operators. These are not recognized
correctly when Pandoc is doing the highlighting. For example `|>` this is
now a single operator and not 2 tokens - Pandoc highlights the latter and
set two different classes, one for each token leading to two differents
colors.

I understand that Pandoc highlighting mechanism lives
in https://github.com/jgm/skylighting but it seems the definition for
parser lives upstream
in https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/syntax-highlighting. I got that from
the README.

Is that right ?

If I want to report an improvment request, or get help to make the
improvement, should I go in skylighting or upstream and Pandoc will get the
update later on ?

Thanks for your help and advices.

* Re: How improve syntax highlighter parsing for new operators ?
       [not found] ` <63c327e2-daff-4e59-bb7f-e194f98dfd81n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-05-20 12:49   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87o8d5y3ht.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2021-05-20 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Christophe,

christophe dervieux <christophe.dervieux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I wanted to make sure on where to report or look at in order to improve the
> Pandoc block highlighting.
>
> Recent version of R has added new operators. These are not recognized
> correctly when Pandoc is doing the highlighting. For example `|>` this is
> now a single operator and not 2 tokens - Pandoc highlights the latter and
> set two different classes, one for each token leading to two differents
> colors.
>
> I understand that Pandoc highlighting mechanism lives
> in https://github.com/jgm/skylighting but it seems the definition for
> parser lives upstream
> in https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/syntax-highlighting. I got that from
> the README.
>
> Is that right ?

Yes, that's correct.

> If I want to report an improvment request, or get help to make the
> improvement, should I go in skylighting or upstream and Pandoc will get the
> update later on ?

Going upstream first would be best, I think. A possibly interesting
point is also that you won't have to wait for skylighting to update, but
could ship an updated definition file with R Markdown, then feed it to
pandoc via `--syntax-definition`.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2021-05-20 13:17       ` christophe dervieux