* pdflatex not found. Please select a different --pdf-engine or install pdflatex
@ 2022-07-22 15:49   ` jiri vesely
       [not found]     ` <41df72e3-c5e5-48ae-90ad-031dbbf2feabn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jiri vesely @ 2022-07-22 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

I Am trying to convert .epub to .pdf. I tried syntax: pandoc test1.md -s -o
test1.tex

But it says: pdflatex not found. Please select a different --pdf-engine or
install pdflatex

How do I install pdflatex please? Google found nothing! I Am on Windows 10!

Thanks!

* AW: pdflatex not found. Please select a different --pdf-engine or install pdflatex
       [not found]     ` <41df72e3-c5e5-48ae-90ad-031dbbf2feabn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-25  7:29       ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]         ` <e64ffdd60afb4603bf594432767f986d-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-07-25  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Google found nothing? Really?

Anyway: you can use one of those :
I Am trying to convert .epub to .pdf. I tried syntax: pandoc test1.md -s -o test1.tex

But it says: pdflatex not found. Please select a different --pdf-engine or install pdflatex

How do I install pdflatex please? Google found nothing! I Am on Windows 10!

Thanks!

* Re: pdflatex not found. Please select a different --pdf-engine or install pdflatex
       [not found]         ` <e64ffdd60afb4603bf594432767f986d-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-25 12:41           ` jiri vesely
       [not found]             ` <460b3413-bb3e-4ffc-8d3e-a26fbe2b975en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jiri vesely @ 2022-07-25 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Great, it worked!

One issue tho: how do I download all required files together? There were
some fonts missing! It wants me to download 10+ files by clicking install
individually every time there is pop up window. Why I can't download them
all at once? Every time this happens I don't want to be clicking god knows
how many times on install and then waiting...

@ 2022-07-25 12:48               ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]                 ` <ae83bce8ca014887bdf1d91d0f169dab-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-07-25 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I guess you used Miktex ? Texlive will include everything so no need to add packages, but the initial installations takes like forever.

You can open the miktex package manager and install the required packages yourself.

When using LaTeX, the following packages need to be available (they are included with all recent versions of TeX Live<https://www.tug.org/texlive/>): amsfonts<https://ctan.org/pkg/amsfonts>, amsmath<https://ctan.org/pkg/amsmath>, lm<https://ctan.org/pkg/lm>, unicode-math<https://ctan.org/pkg/unicode-math>, iftex<https://ctan.org/pkg/iftex>, listings<https://ctan.org/pkg/listings> (if the --listings<https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#option--listings> option is used), fancyvrb<https://ctan.org/pkg/fancyvrb>, longtable<https://ctan.org/pkg/longtable>, booktabs<https://ctan.org/pkg/booktabs>, graphicx<https://ctan.org/pkg/graphicx> (if the document contains images), hyperref<https://ctan.org/pkg/hyperref>, xcolor<https://ctan.org/pkg/xcolor>, ulem<https://ctan.org/pkg/ulem>, geometry<https://ctan.org/pkg/geometry> (with the geometry variable set), setspace<https://ctan.org/pkg/setspace> (with linestretch), and babel<https://ctan.org/pkg/babel> (with lang). If CJKmainfont is set, xeCJK<https://ctan.org/pkg/xecjk> is needed. The use of xelatex or lualatex as the PDF engine requires fontspec<https://ctan.org/pkg/fontspec>. lualatex uses selnolig<https://ctan.org/pkg/selnolig>. xelatex uses bidi<https://ctan.org/pkg/bidi> (with the dir variable set). If the mathspec variable is set, xelatex will use mathspec<https://ctan.org/pkg/mathspec> instead of unicode-math<https://ctan.org/pkg/unicode-math>. The upquote<https://ctan.org/pkg/upquote> and microtype<https://ctan.org/pkg/microtype> packages are used if available, and csquotes<https://ctan.org/pkg/csquotes> will be used for typography<https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#typography> if the csquotes variable or metadata field is set to a true value. The natbib<https://ctan.org/pkg/natbib>, biblatex<https://ctan.org/pkg/biblatex>, bibtex<https://ctan.org/pkg/bibtex>, and biber<https://ctan.org/pkg/biber> packages can optionally be used for citation rendering<https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#citation-rendering-1>. The following packages will be used to improve output quality if present, but pandoc does not require them to be present: upquote<https://ctan.org/pkg/upquote> (for straight quotes in verbatim environments), microtype<https://ctan.org/pkg/microtype> (for better spacing adjustments), parskip<https://ctan.org/pkg/parskip> (for better inter-paragraph spaces), xurl<https://ctan.org/pkg/xurl> (for better line breaks in URLs), bookmark<https://ctan.org/pkg/bookmark> (for better PDF bookmarks), and footnotehyper<https://ctan.org/pkg/footnotehyper> or footnote<https://ctan.org/pkg/footnote> (to allow footnotes in tables).

@ 2022-07-26 12:11                   ` jiri vesely
       [not found]                     ` <e752cf67-ee83-4354-844e-0a7f90e622f3n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jiri vesely @ 2022-07-26 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It wants to install other packages than listed here anyways. And since I
would have to ctrl+f these one by one anyways, it is easier to click pop
out windows.

It said this when I tried to convert epub to pdf:
Error producing PDF.
! LaTeX Error: Unicode character ΓÇâ (U+2003)
               not set up for use with LaTeX.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.17310 ΓÇâ

Note: I also don't want install all packages

...I tried to install your packages list anyways: but after it downloads it
says: it is extracting and nothing ever happens, if I hit close package
shows as installed.
I couldn't find these package names: longtable, typography, citation
rendering.
For following I could find only packages with similar names but not exact
(so I installed them): graphicx, biber.

After doing all of this still doesn't work:

@ 2022-07-26 12:22                       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-07-26 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The problem is that your file contains Unicode characters that pdflatex does not handle directly (for instance, to typeset ë, one has to encode it as \"e in the document). Set --pdf-engine to xelatex or lualatex to use a Unicode-aware TeX engine.

@ 2022-07-26 12:51                         ` Vít Novotný
       [not found]                           ` <CAKt3JyUOe4chesMvAA16OgB8iCPFjc1KkJkZj_JJacbXzav=9Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Vít Novotný @ 2022-07-26 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

LaTeX loads \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} for a couple years now, even if it
is not explicitly loaded by the template, so most characters such as ë will
come out fine when they are supported by your font. However, the error
message says that the U+2003 (em space) character is not recognized by
LaTeX, which is not unexpected. I would replace it with \quad or just plain
spaces.

@ 2022-07-26 15:52                         ` jiri vesely
From: jiri vesely @ 2022-07-26 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10031 bytes --]

So I made some progress, I used command (not sure if syntax is right):
pandoc --pdf-engine=xelatex test.epub -s -o test.pdf

And it gave me response: qt.qpa.fonts: Unable to open default EUDC font:
"C:\\Windows\\FONTS\\EUDC.TTE"

*wit:* What do you mean by quad, it is not pdf engine?

@ 2022-07-26 15:54                             ` jiri vesely
From: jiri vesely @ 2022-07-26 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 11945 bytes --]

So I made some progress, I used command (not sure if syntax is right):
pandoc --pdf-engine=xelatex test.epub -s -o test.pdf

And it gave me error: qt.qpa.fonts: Unable to open default EUDC font:
"C:\\Windows\\FONTS\\EUDC.TTE"

Lualatex gives the same error! I will try others meanwhile...

@ 2022-07-26 16:18                             ` jiri vesely
From: jiri vesely @ 2022-07-26 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss