Following up on my original post, I have tried to follow Bastien Dumont's advice to get book titles in title case (i.e. 'add title-case="title" in the relevant places') , however I am having no luck and running into what seems to me to be a curious issue. I have included my minimal Markdown file, minimal json bibliography and the CSL file. The problem: I cannot get book titles to appear in title case. The relevant line in the CSL file would seem to be line 90. - If I set text-case="uppercase" in line 90, then the book titles appear as UPPERCASE in both citation and bibliography. [image: Line-90-uppercase.png] - If I set text-case="lowercase" in line 90, then the book titles appear as lowercase in both citation and bibliography. [image: Line-90-lowercase.png] Those experiments suggest to me that line 90 is indeed the relevant line for setting book title case. However, if I set text-case="title" in line 90, then the book titles appear in "capitalize-first" case. [image: Line-90-title-case.png] But, again, as in my original post, if I insert the citation directly in LibreOffice using the Zotero plugin, the titles appear correctly, in title-case. [image: Insert-book-LibreOffice.png] The issue only comes up when using pandoc for conversion. If the issue is, as Denis suggests, something to do with nesting / precedence, I would be grateful is someone could point out where my CSL file is creating that conflict. I have tried to find something but without any success. But it seems odd to me if that is the case that I *can* set the titles to "uppercase" and "lowercase" but *not* to "title" case when changing the same line. And, again, this only arises with pandoc conversion. So is this something I can change in my CSL? Or is this a pandoc issue? denis...-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org schrieb am Freitag, 20. Mai 2022 um 20:45:54 UTC+2: > > -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- > > Von: pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org > dis...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> Im Auftrag von Bastien DUMONT > > Gesendet: Freitag, 20. Mai 2022 15:43 > > An: pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org > > Betreff: Re: Divergent styling when using CSL in pandoc(?) > > > > [...] On the other hand, > > the specification does not define the expected behaviour for all cases. > The > > issue documented by your first screenshot is a good example of that. The > > "title" macro is called on l. 332 with the attribute text-case="title", > but the > > element on l. 117 included in this macro has > text-case="lowercase": > > which one should have the precedence? Unless I have missed something, the > > CSL specification does not define that, so Pandoc applies the attribute > value > > set on the upper-most element and citeproc-js that of the inner-most > > element. Neither is wrong, so the only solution is to avoid such > conflicts in > > your stylesheet (e.g. by removing the attribute on l. 332). > > Good catch. I'll open an issue on the CSL schema repo. But concerning > precedence have a look at > https://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#inheritable-name-options > where you'll find: > > > When an inheritable name attribute is set on cs:style, cs:citation or > cs:bibliography, its value is used for all cs:names elements within the > scope of the element carrying the attribute. If an attribute is set on > multiple hierarchical levels, the value set at the lowest level is used. > > That's about inheritable name attributes, sure. But I'd infer from that > that there seems to be a preference for settings at lower levels. > Maybe we should prohibit the use of styles and text-casing with macros as > these run somewhat against the purpose of macros... > > Denis > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4217cb45-f6db-4b04-a598-20ac2422d02an%40googlegroups.com.