* Adding attributes to definition lists using pandoc
@ 2022-07-13 14:18 A A
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgOyf796=sXy5Zt+T1Z0MZqXyLZS-YJCqRWRCkzyF-Lh_g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2022-07-13 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear All,

I would like to ask whether it is possible to assign attributes,
identifiers or key-value pairs to definition lists as follows in pandoc:

---
title: my title
author: bob marley
---

# Header {#identifier .class key=value}

Some text

{.glossary}
Term 1
: Definition 1

Term 2
: Definition 2

Compiling the above with pandoc -f markdown -t html .\definition-lists.md
generates the following:

<h1 class="class" data-key="value" id="identifier">Header</h1>
<dl>
<dt>Term 2</dt>
<dd>
Definition 2
</dd>
</dl>

The attributes on the header are getting picked up by pandoc, but not on
the definition list. What am I doing wrong here?

Regards,

Amine

* Re: Adding attributes to definition lists using pandoc
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgOyf796=sXy5Zt+T1Z0MZqXyLZS-YJCqRWRCkzyF-Lh_g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-13 14:29   ` Sukil Etxenike arizaleta
       [not found]     ` <6a4255a0-557b-a182-43a8-35facb1e2788-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Sukil Etxenike arizaleta @ 2022-07-13 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

According to the manual: no, but you can enclose it in a div and give
that div the attributes you want.

Hth,

Sukil

@ 2022-07-13 14:32       ` A A
       [not found]         ` <CAMwawgOYU8Z6XZ6uMxZ5t1-47OV7FKR7640O2hSb_VHStu3yAw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2022-07-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Sukil,

Thanks for your quick response, but where in the manual does it say that
this *cannot* be done? I was under the impression that using the braced
syntax to add attributes was a sort of universal thing that could be done
to any of the elements in the AST?

Regards,

Amine

@ 2022-07-13 14:42           ` Sukil Etxenike arizaleta
       [not found]             ` <b187e3c4-0026-1853-d18f-86cedce39191-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Sukil Etxenike arizaleta @ 2022-07-13 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

OK, technically it doesn't say it cannot be done, it only says that this
syntax is only available in headers, divs, spans, links and images.

But wait, checking non-default extensions, if you convert from
commonmark or commonmark_x you can use this syntax with any element of
the AST. Technically it wuld add an enclosing div, too.

This, however, wouldn't let you enable other extensions, check
--list-extensions=commonmark etc. to see if this would suit you.

Hth,

Sukil

@ 2022-07-13 15:01               ` A A
       [not found]                 ` <CAMwawgPPQCVG_xQfVoQD7nPqaU8ObZd+cM5gcqEXuuy3ouPBFw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2022-07-13 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear Sukil,

So I believe only commonmark_x provides the non-default attributes
extension. It’s not included in commonmark, I don’t think.

So I tried with commonmark_x on the following code:

---
title: my title
author: bob marley
---

# Header {#identifier .class key=value}

Some text

{#special .glossary}
Term 1
: Definition 1

Term 2
: Definition 2

with the following command:

pandoc -f commonmark_x -t html .\definition-lists.md

But i’m still not getting the attributes added to the <dl> element:

<h1 class="class" data-key="value" id="identifier">Header</h1>
<dl>
<dt>Term 1</dt>
<dd>
Definition 1
</dd>
<dt>Term 2</dt>
<dd>
Definition 2
</dd>
</dl>

The other option is to maybe use the fenced_divs extension with regular
markdown, but I’m trying to see if there’s a more generic way.

Regards,

Amine

@ 2022-07-13 15:14                   ` Sukil Etxenike arizaleta
       [not found]                     ` <fa49db14-b03b-f29d-32bc-daf4b80d6b39-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Sukil Etxenike arizaleta @ 2022-07-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've tried it too, and it gives the same results. I don't know why this
happens.

Regards,

Sukil

@ 2022-07-13 15:17                       ` A A
       [not found]                         ` <CAMwawgMECRkn7n5G3cj+i=imJuUZeciPN82mVQAZZtPc7yJqRA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2022-07-13 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Looks like it might be a bug.... anyone else?

@ 2022-07-15  9:28                           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-15  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Indeed, even with commonmark_x the attributes are not getting picked up on the definition list.

Note:  pandoc's AST cannot currently attach attributes directly to a definition list.  So generally the commonmark_x reader will create a containing Div to which to apply the attributes.  You can test that by attaching an attribute to a paragraph.  For some reason, it isn't working with definition lists.  This is a bug in https://github.com/jgm/commonmark-hs and should be reported there.