* supporting dinkus in markdown to epub and pdf
@ 2019-10-23  4:30 Jeff Mcneill
       [not found] ` <c65ec88e-4c98-4fb1-8c9e-46a3553293ff-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Mcneill @ 2019-10-23  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In markdown, I markup a dinkus as such:

The class simply centers the text.

However, for pdf output, I have to mark up in latex as:

\begin{center}
* * *
\end{center}

This is not a true dinkus, as it uses an asterisk rather than a &lowast;.

I've got two issues here:

1. How do I make latex (and pdflatex) suppor the dinkus html or unicode
entity?

2. Does anyone know a clever way of marking up the pandoc markdown so that
I can use a single source to properly generate both epub and pdf dinkus?

Note that if I leave the latex text in, the dinkus is not displayed in
epub, and if I leave only the markdown in, then the literal `<p
class="dinkus">&lowast; &lowast; &lowast;</p>` is displayed in pdf.

Any thoughts are deeply appreciated.

Note: because of some issues I am experiencing with xelatex and images in
pdf (they don't display), I cannot use that to solve any of these issues.

* Re: supporting dinkus in markdown to epub and pdf
       [not found] ` <c65ec88e-4c98-4fb1-8c9e-46a3553293ff-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-10-23  6:30   ` Václav Haisman
       [not found]     ` <1850e0db-100f-7d36-f338-6ad3379e8c00-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Haisman @ 2019-10-23  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 23. 10. 19 6:30, Jeff Mcneill wrote:
> In markdown, I markup a dinkus as such:

What version of Pandoc are you using? If I test with |echo '<p
class="dinkus">&lowast; &lowast; &lowast;</p>' | pandoc -f html -t latex
| od -t x1| I can see the UTF-8 characters U+2217 make it through into
the LaTeX output.

​

--
VH

@ 2019-10-24  3:10       ` Jeff Mcneill
       [not found]         ` <b23a3ec0-229d-43c5-be5e-235eacf5bbd9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Mcneill @ 2019-10-24  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I get an error when running md to pdf as follows (using Pandoc 2.8 a
nightly build from 12-Oct-2019):

Error producing PDF.
! Package inputenc Error: Unicode character ∗ (U+2217)
(inputenc)                not set up for use with LaTeX.

See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.481 ∗

Try running pandoc with --pdf-engine=xelatex.

When I runt the test code you provide above, I get:

0000000 e2 88 97 20 e2 88 97 20 e2 88 97 0a
0000014

I can't do the suggested using xelatex because then my images don't show up
in pdf (but they do without xelatex).

Note, when using xelatex, I do see the &lowast;, but it is not centered,
hence the need for latex markup for centering (unless there is a different
way to do this).

Sincerely,
Jeff Mcneill

@ 2019-10-25 22:55           ` Václav Haisman
       [not found]             ` <8f36859b-536b-51b4-1c3c-e3e339becea3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Haisman @ 2019-10-25 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 24. 10. 19 5:10, Jeff Mcneill wrote:
> I get an error when running md to pdf as follows (using Pandoc 2.8 a
> nightly build from 12-Oct-2019):
>
>     Error producing PDF.
>     ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode character ∗ (U+2217)
>     (inputenc)                not set up for use with LaTeX.
>
>     See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
>     Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
>     l.481 ∗
>
>     Try running pandoc with --pdf-engine=xelatex.

I suggest you add the following to your LaTeX preamble:

|\usepackage{newunicodechar} \newunicodechar{∗}{\textasteriskcentered} |

and then use the raw character in your document

|\begin{center} ∗ ∗ ∗ \end{center} |

​

--
VH

@ 2019-10-26  7:09               ` Jeff Mcneill
       [not found]                 ` <9818aeda-5d0a-456d-9129-0fb746f39008-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Mcneill @ 2019-10-26  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> I suggest you add the following to your LaTeX preamble:
>
> \usepackage{newunicodechar}
> \newunicodechar{∗}{\textasteriskcentered}
>
> and then use the raw character in your document
>
> \begin{center}
> ∗ ∗ ∗
> \end{center}
>
> ​
>

> --
> VH

This indeed fixes my issue with latex in terms of producing the correct
dinkus display (&midast;) when md->pdf, however this still is discarded by
pandoc when producing an md->epub. The lines are simply removed (there is
no dinkus and no additional space added between the separated sections).

@ 2019-10-26  7:24                   ` Václav Haisman
       [not found]                     ` <6ca8408c-b797-3007-647f-9ea939666067-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Haisman @ 2019-10-26  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 26. 10. 19 9:09, Jeff Mcneill wrote:

>     I suggest you add the following to your LaTeX preamble:
>
>     |\usepackage{newunicodechar}
>     \newunicodechar{∗}{\textasteriskcentered} |
>
>     and then use the raw character in your document
>
>     |\begin{center} ∗ ∗ ∗ \end{center} |
>
>     ​
>

>     --
>     VH
>

> This indeed fixes my issue with latex in terms of producing the
> correct dinkus display (&midast;) when md->pdf, however this still is
> discarded by pandoc when producing an md->epub. The lines are simply
> removed (there is no dinkus and no additional space added between the
> separated sections). --

You will have to write a filter that will implement the dingus
differently for each output format. Pandoc is not magical, it cannot
translate everything.

One more comment about the LaTeX dingus: I have found one more
sophisticated implementation, see
https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/101240/28495.

​

--
VH

@ 2019-10-26  8:06                       ` Jeff Mcneill
       [not found]                         ` <e119c11f-a1a0-4005-aec4-beaf76381aa1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Mcneill @ 2019-10-26  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Aha, I've found a fix, referenced at:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48083724/pandoc-markdown-ignore-text-in-pdf-but-include-in-html-updated

Here is what I put, and the epub ignores the latex content and the latex
ignores the epub (html) content. Magical indeed.

`<p class="dinkus">&midast; &midast; &midast;</p>`{=html}
> \begin{center} ∗ ∗ ∗ \end{center}

Thanks for your help. Your suggestions are very useful.
--Jeff Mcneill

@ 2019-10-26  8:22                           ` Jeff Mcneill
From: Jeff Mcneill @ 2019-10-26  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

P.S., the &lowast; is really what I want, so final format is as follows:

`<p class="dinkus"> &lowast; &lowast; &lowast; </p>`{=html}
`\begin{center} ∗ ∗ ∗ \end{center}`{=latex}

@ 2019-10-26  9:37                           ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2019-10-26  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw