* Naming Conventions for Class and Attribute Names?
@ 2021-11-23 16:35 Martin Hepp
       [not found] ` <0B37EABB-86C6-40D1-BCD8-4FFDC4B5EDE3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Hepp @ 2021-11-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all,
for a set of filters, I would like to define a hierarchical naming scheme for metadata classes and attributes. For instance, I would like do define a class

.slides.beamer

an use it like so

:::{.slides.beamer}
blabla
:::

Or attributes that a filter can use to adjust picture formatting details by output format, like

![](image.png){width=90%, eisvogel.width=50%}

The issue in here is not the filter (which would adjust the width) but whether it is possible and recommended to use dots within class and attribute names in Pandoc element meta-data. CamelCase would not be as nice; other delimiters (:, /, _, -) would work for me, but a dot would be preferred.

I could not find the respective information in the documentation.

Thanks!

Best wishes
Martin

* Re: Naming Conventions for Class and Attribute Names?
       [not found] ` <0B37EABB-86C6-40D1-BCD8-4FFDC4B5EDE3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-11-23 16:38   ` Gwern Branwen
       [not found]     ` <CAMwO0gyhdaJgmSFtBn4RrsRNXMH_Leho508tBcM-BS2LfsFiBg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Gwern Branwen @ 2021-11-23 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

If you use periods inside an identifier or class, wouldn't that
generate invalid HTML output? I thought periods were forbidden
characters precisely because you want to be able to manipulate them
inside JS/CSS where '.' would then be ambiguous (is it part of the
JS/CSS language, or part of the quoted name? If I write css on
'foo.bar { display: none; }', is that a <bar> inside a <foo>, or an
element with the ID '#foo.bar'?). I was running into this with section
headers where section headers like '# T. S. Eliot' were generating IDs
like '#t.s.eliot' but that was then invalidating the HTML.

--
gwern
https://www.gwern.net

@ 2021-11-24 18:28       ` Martin Hepp
From: Martin Hepp @ 2021-11-24 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'juh' via pandoc-discuss

Hi,
thanks!

After looking at the naming specs for CSS, I come to the conclusion that the best separator for names in element meta-data (classes and attributes) is a dash; like

{.output-beamer eisvogel-width=90% beamer-width=50%}

etc.

While not ideal, this is also in line with how the attribute names from Markdown are translated into HTML attributes with the "data-" prefix.

Best wishes
Martin