When I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping that "better citation processing" might mean new features, so news of 1.0.2 and 1.1 is quite welcome. I thought CSL development ended years ago with 1.0.1. It seemed that they weren't interested in supporting a broad range of domains and in non-English citation formats—95% is good enough. Since CSL could never format all my citations, I switched to BibLaTeX and stopped reading the forums. I still use CSL with pandoc for smaller works that I have to deliver in word processor format, manually writing the citations it can't handle. A CSL (or at least pandoc) equivalent to BibLaTeX's \mancite would be useful. On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 11:58:12 AM UTC+2, Denis Maier wrote: > > Great to hear we'll soon be able to test the new citeproc. > > > it should be straightforward to improve it further. It will be > easier to maintain than pandoc-citeproc, more accurate, and faster. > > That sounds amazing. As you know CSL 1.0.2 is about to appear soon, and > 1.1 is also already pretty advanced. It would be great if it were easy > to integrate the new features in your library. > > Best, > Denis > > Am 17.08.2020 um 00:59 schrieb John MacFarlane: > > I've been working this summer on a replacement to pandoc-citeproc. > > > > Part of this is a new library, citeproc, which is > > not specific to pandoc. This already passes a larger portion > > of the CSL test suite than pandoc-citeproc, and it should be > > straightforward to improve it further. It will be easier to > > maintain than pandoc-citeproc, more accurate, and faster. > > > > I've used this library to create a new filter, > > new-pandoc-citeproc, which now passes most of the pandoc-citeproc > > test suite but runs around 6 times faster. > > > > I'm inclined, though, not to release this as a new filter, > > but instead to depend on the citeproc library and build the > > citation processing capabilities into pandoc itself. This will > > cut down the binaries we need to distribute from two to one, and > > it will simplify things for users, who won't have to worry about > > filters. It will also be more performant, as we'll avoid the > > overhead of JSON serialization and deserialization. > > > > I'm not quite ready to release any of this code, but I hope > > to do so in the next month or two. This is just a teaser. > > > > The new library is pure Haskell and won't depend on bibutils > > (a wrapper around a C library). That means we'll only support > > bibtex/biblatex, pandoc yaml, and CSL JSON as bibliography > > formats. Those who need others will have to convert them using > > standalone bibutils. But support for other formats was never > > great, so I don't think this is a big loss. > > > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/46e97135-ea1f-469a-898a-eb24876c0708o%40googlegroups.com.