* Dealing with wrapped atx headings from email
@ 2019-12-04 22:23 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <4868e6ed-cf44-e208-8f1b-5f4c7661f1e9-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2019-12-04 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Students email me markdown (that looks good on their source HackMD site), encoded as quoted-printable (which seemingly introduces hard line breaks), which I can't reconstruct properly.

Assuming my present email isn't mangled, this good markdown:

``` {.unwrapped_markdown}
# **Reading Response Set Two**
# Algorithmic discrimination
#### **Do algorithms exhibit biases (intentional or otherwise) in online commerce?**
```

-->

``` {.wrapped_quoted-printable}
# Reading Response Set Two
## Algorithmic discrimination
#### **Do algorithms exhibit biases (intentional or otherwise) in online
commerce?**
```

-->

``` {decoded_string}
# Reading Response Set Two
## Algorithmic discrimination
#### **Do algorithms exhibit biases (intentional or otherwise) in online
commerce?**
```

``` {.html}
<h1 id="reading-response-set-two">Reading Response Set Two</h1>
<h2 id="algorithmic-discrimination">Algorithmic discrimination</h2>
<h4 id="do-algorithms-exhibit-biases-intentional-or-otherwise-in-online">**Do algorithms exhibit biases (intentional or otherwise) in online</h4>
```

Any suggestions?

* Re: Dealing with wrapped atx headings from email
       [not found] ` <4868e6ed-cf44-e208-8f1b-5f4c7661f1e9-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-12-05 17:41   ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2019-12-05 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 12/4/19 5:23 PM, Joseph Reagle wrote:
> #### **Do algorithms exhibit biases (intentional or otherwise) in online
> commerce?**

I suspect this problem is caused by the email client (GMail) -- not quoted-printable itself.

As I look at the email, the text/plain part doesn't have any soft wraps. So the text editor created the hard wrap in the following I think.

```
--000000000000c7df1f059725d814

# Reading Response Set Two
## Algorithmic discrimination
#### **Do algorithms exhibit biases (intentional or otherwise) in online
commerce?**
```

Confusingly, the HTML part had no evidence of the wrap before "commerce" and it nicely soft wraps the lines (ending with "=").

```
--000000000000c7df1f059725d814

... <div># Reading Response Set Two<br>## A=
lgorithmic discrimination<br>#### **Do algorithms exhibit biases (intention=
al or otherwise) in online commerce?**<br><br>Web search results can be for=
mulated around an individual=E2=80=99s personal information, such as prior =
searches, location, and online interests. Although online personalization c=
an be helpful, it also narrows searches to an extent where you are likely t=
o miss a large majority of results. According to the article on [Buzz
```

Pandoc could recover from this if markdown's headings required a blank line before and after, but since not, I think the mail client mangled the text and don't think it can be recovered...?