* Re: djot - a new light markup language
@ 2022-07-18 20:15 Lloyd R. prentice
       [not found] ` <96DFE84C-B390-4029-95AF-CA6ABC484447-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lloyd R. prentice @ 2022-07-18 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

Can’t speak up for Jon, but I’m much interested in a markdown variant that meets the needs of book publishers, particularly self-publishers.  The LaTeX markdown package is a good start. But in my naive view it needs a cleaner bridge to the full expressive power of LaTeX—something like the bridge between HTML and CSS.

The basic tags of extended Pandoc markdown go far. But it would be productive to somehow simply mark a block of copy and apply an arbitrary LaTeX package or snippet. This can be done with the LaTeX markdown package at the cost of dropping down into plain TeX which is much harder to learn than CSS and likely far beyond the skill set of most self-publishers.

Perhaps djot holds this potential, but I don’t yet understand it well enough to see how.

All the best,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

@ 2022-07-19  6:14   ` 'juh' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'juh' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-07-19  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 04:15:09PM -0400 schrieb Lloyd R. prentice:
> The basic tags of extended Pandoc markdown go far. But it would be
> productive to somehow simply mark a block of copy and apply an
> arbitrary LaTeX package or snippet. This can be done with the LaTeX
> markdown package at the cost of dropping down into plain TeX which is
> much harder to learn than CSS and likely far beyond the skill set of
> most self-publishers.

Have you ever considered to use ConTeXt?
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Main_Page

I my experience it is much easier to define custom layouts with ConTeXt
than with LaTeX as the styling is done with key value constructs like in css.

With lua scripts you can apply custom environments to blocks.

juh

--
Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com
Satiren & Essays: ......... http://www.sudelbuch.de

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
@ 2022-07-19 13:56     ` Lloyd R. prentice
       [not found]       ` <13939C0B-E70D-441B-9783-6D0E858EDD2B-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lloyd R. prentice @ 2022-07-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have looked at Context, but have not put it to work. I find the documentation rather confusing. But it does look interesting.

I don’t find layout that difficult with LaTeX. In fact I’ve just written a “30-minute Challenge” tutorial in which the user styles a three-chapter novel with front matter in less than 30 minutes. The chapters are generated with the LaTeX lipsum package.

My quest is for a method of styling the various edge cases that come up in book design with the low cognitive load of markdown. I’m motivated by, best guess, more than two million self-publishers around the world publishing books each year, all too many of whom rely on their word processors for type setting. They are often criticized for low production quality and suffer book sales in the low tens of units.

Thanks,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 19, 2022, at 2:14 AM, 'juh' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Am Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 04:15:09PM -0400 schrieb Lloyd R. prentice:
>> The basic tags of extended Pandoc markdown go far. But it would be
>> productive to somehow simply mark a block of copy and apply an
>> arbitrary LaTeX package or snippet. This can be done with the LaTeX
>> markdown package at the cost of dropping down into plain TeX which is
>> much harder to learn than CSS and likely far beyond the skill set of
>> most self-publishers.
>
> Have you ever considered to use ConTeXt?
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Main_Page
>
> I my experience it is much easier to define custom layouts with ConTeXt
> than with LaTeX as the styling is done with key value constructs like in css.
>
> With lua scripts you can apply custom environments to blocks.
>
> juh
>
> --
> Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com
> Satiren & Essays: ......... http://www.sudelbuch.de
> Privater Blog: ............ http://www.hasecke.eu
> Netzliteratur-Projekt: .... http://www.generationenprojekt.de
>

> --

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2022-07-19 14:10         ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-07-19 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you target LaTeX, I think that all this can be done with Pandoc by modifying the template, using spans and divs with custom classes and attributes and passing them to a filter which adds the appropriate LaTeX code. If you have everything else in mind, could you give a simple example?

@ 2022-07-20  3:22           ` Lloyd R. prentice
From: Lloyd R. prentice @ 2022-07-20  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Bastien,

Early on I started with Pandoc. Still use it for various things. But for the life of me, I couldn’t understand the Pandoc LaTeX templating system. Perhaps I have less cognitive horsepower than typical Pandoc users, or maybe I’m a bit short of patience.

Vit Novotny’s LaTeX markdown package caught my attention; so I started working with him to understand markdown + LaTeX in my own work as writer/self-publisher. This led to my latest book project: Publish Beautiful Books with Markdown: the Fast Track to LaTeX. PB demonstrates how to style and format fiction, nonfiction, and academic works as well as production of book marketing collateral.

The two major markdown issues I’ve run into are control over vertical space and scaling and placement of images. And more, Vit has done a few things with LaTeX snippets and plain TeX in the PB templates that I’m still striving to understand.

I’m not hide bound to any technology. There are many route to the summit of efficient book composition and publishing. I have more books that I want to write than hours left in my lifetime. So I continue to explore and advance as best I can.

All the best,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

       [not found]         ` <93545219-f69d-48e6-a730-58aaddacb4dd-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-25 22:08           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-25 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The d is silent.  Like in "djinn."

       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhAHt-T=1cUqThR=qZQXaBzx0=xzV1vmVNCNhrmSFE+guQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-20  2:45       ` John Gabriele
       [not found]         ` <93545219-f69d-48e6-a730-58aaddacb4dd-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Gabriele @ 2022-07-20  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My guess is that it's pronounced "dee jot", as it, "doc jot" or "document jot" --- jot some notes down in a document.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022, at 3:54 PM, BPJ wrote:
> How do you pronounce _djot_? I guess [ˈdidʒɒt] or just [dʒɒt]. It's not obvious to this non-native speaker of English.
>
> Den tors 14 juli 2022 23:58John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> skrev:
>> I've been designing a new light markup syntax, based on the ideas in my essay "Beyond Markdown" (https://johnmacfarlane.net/beyond-markdown.html).  I thought readers of this list might be interested.  The language and its rationale are described here:  https://github.com/jgm/djot
>>
>> The repository also contains a very fast parser written in pure Lua.  A pandoc custom reader and custom writer are also provided, so you can convert your favorite formats to and from djot.
>>
>> The syntax is briefly described here: https://djot.net/playground/syntax.html
>>
>> You can play with the implementation here: https://djot.net/playground/
>>
>> John
>>
>> --
>

> --

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
       [not found] ` <EF9566B8-7F8B-49BD-9FFB-B370750C73BF-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-07-18 19:54   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhAHt-T=1cUqThR=qZQXaBzx0=xzV1vmVNCNhrmSFE+guQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-07-18 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

       [not found]             ` <5a12655c-c8a0-e5ab-c173-a4ea9cf8c661-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-18 18:09               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-18 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

djot is an experiment.  Nobody uses it yet, so it's too early to tell what its future is.  I've tried to make it easy for people to try djot, by providing an easy conversion path to and from djot from other common formats.  So hopefully people will try it and we'll see if it catches on.

As for commonmark and pandoc markdown: My ambition is to implement commonmark extensions for all of the main pandoc markdown features, so that we can eventually transition away from the legacy pandoc markdown parser. We have most of the extensions already. But a few extensions are proving difficult (citations especially), so it may take a while.

       [not found]         ` <92CF0240-8135-414E-8E34-4121AC71A9A8-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-18 16:24           ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]             ` <5a12655c-c8a0-e5ab-c173-a4ea9cf8c661-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2022-07-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

@ 2022-07-18 16:09     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-18 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> On Jul 15, 2022, at 11:48 PM, BPJ <melroch-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> This is very interesting, especially the way curlies are used to make opening/closing delimiters explicit and to extend the inventory of possible delimiters. If I may I would like to suggest adding {|underline|}, {!strikeout!} and {.small caps.}.[^1]

Not a bad suggestion -- maybe you could propose this on the jgm/djot bug tracker.

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
       [not found]     ` <f6b75a75-ca6c-4fbf-a01c-9697646ef445n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-18 16:08       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <92CF0240-8135-414E-8E34-4121AC71A9A8-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-18 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> On Jul 18, 2022, at 10:55 AM, Philip Hodder <phil-jvooPmwWovGx7wk7FZxnQA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> This is very nice! At the risk of getting ahead of things:
>
> 1)  Is there scope for adding support for YAML (or equivalent) metadata?

I'm not inclined to make YAML metadata a first-class syntactic element as it is in pandoc (where it can occur anywhere in the document, and can use reference links defined in the document's body).  Instead, a document processor can decide to handle some front matter; contents of the fields could be parsed as djot, but would be treated as independent documents and parsed separately from the rest.  Not really sure.  If I did include something as standard syntax, I'd be inclined not to make it YAML, which is too complicated, but maybe a YAML subset.

> 2)  Would it be possible to add in support for Lua extensions keyed to code block attributes? For example:
>

> ``` =include
>
> foo/bar/*.djot
>
> ```

You could handle this as in pandoc, with the attribute system we already have.  For exmaple,

{include="foo/bar/*.djot"}
```
```

would define a code block with an 'include' attribute.  Your Lua filter could then look for code blocks with 'include' attributes and do whatever with them.

I'm not inclined to build the concept of Lua filters directly into the markup language. Instead, the markup language allows you to add attributes to which filters can be sensitive.  That's an approach that has worked well, I think, with pandoc.

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
       [not found] ` <EF9566B8-7F8B-49BD-9FFB-B370750C73BF-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-07-18  8:55   ` Philip Hodder
       [not found]     ` <f6b75a75-ca6c-4fbf-a01c-9697646ef445n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Philip Hodder @ 2022-07-18  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This is very nice! At the risk of getting ahead of things:

1)  Is there scope for adding support for YAML (or equivalent) metadata?

2)  Would it be possible to add in support for Lua extensions keyed to code
block attributes? For example:

``` =include

foo/bar/*.djot

```

would run *include.lua* on the contents of the block, and insert that into
the stream. This could work with the various diagramming tools, for
example, and maybe even a general *exec* command.

Phil

On Thursday, 14 July 2022 at 22:57:40 UTC+1 John MacFarlane wrote:

> I've been designing a new light markup syntax, based on the ideas in my
> essay "Beyond Markdown" (https://johnmacfarlane.net/beyond-markdown.html).
> I thought readers of this list might be interested. The language and its
> rationale are described here: https://github.com/jgm/djot
>
> The repository also contains a very fast parser written in pure Lua. A
> pandoc custom reader and custom writer are also provided, so you can
> convert your favorite formats to and from djot.
>
> The syntax is briefly described here:
> https://djot.net/playground/syntax.html
>
> You can play with the implementation here: https://djot.net/playground/
>
> John

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
       [not found] ` <EF9566B8-7F8B-49BD-9FFB-B370750C73BF-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-07-15 21:48   ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2022-07-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This is very interesting, especially the way curlies are used to make
opening/closing delimiters explicit and to extend the inventory of possible
delimiters. If I may I would like to suggest adding {|underline|},
{!strikeout!} and {.small caps.}.[^1]

Small caps are somewhat frequent in linguistics (mainly for grammatical
tags in interlinear glosses) so their absence is a problem for me, albeit a
problem which can be worked around with a span with a class.

I actually like the four space rule, but I guess nothing stops me from just
always make sure that a list marker is followed by at least three space
characters. Hopefully this will be easier to live with with indented code
blocks gone!

[^1]: Incidentally this is the same solution as I used in the home grown
lightweight markup which I used before I discovered Pandoc, except there
the curlies were always mandatory. I used a Perl hash mapping punctuation
characters to LaTeX command names and a simple regex substitution
`s/\{([[:punct:]])|[[:punct:]]\}/$1 ? "\\$command{$1}\{" : "}"/eg` except
that `[:punct:]` was the list of actually used characters. Those were the
days! FWIW I differentiated between {_emph_} for emphasis and {/textit/}
for object language.

Den tors 14 juli 2022 23:58John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> I've been designing a new light markup syntax, based on the ideas in my
> essay "Beyond Markdown" (https://johnmacfarlane.net/beyond-markdown.html).
> I thought readers of this list might be interested.  The language and its
> rationale are described here:  https://github.com/jgm/djot
>
> The repository also contains a very fast parser written in pure Lua.  A
> pandoc custom reader and custom writer are also provided, so you can
> convert your favorite formats to and from djot.
>
> The syntax is briefly described here:
> https://djot.net/playground/syntax.html
>
> You can play with the implementation here: https://djot.net/playground/
>
> John
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/EF9566B8-7F8B-49BD-9FFB-B370750C73BF%40berkeley.edu
> .

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
       [not found] ` <EF9566B8-7F8B-49BD-9FFB-B370750C73BF-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-15 19:16   ` Albert Krewinkel
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-07-15 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I've been designing a new light markup syntax, based on the ideas in my essay
> "Beyond Markdown" (https://johnmacfarlane.net/beyond-markdown.html). I thought
> readers of this list might be interested. The language and its rationale are
> described here: https://github.com/jgm/djot

This is great! There are so many good things in there, but I especially
like the "monoid" behavior of attributes and the syntax for emphasis and
strong emphasis.

> The repository also contains a very fast parser written in pure Lua. A pandoc
> custom reader and custom writer are also provided, so you can convert your
> favorite formats to and from djot.

I'm planning to integrate it in into the Docker images, but could djot
somehow be shipped as part of pandoc?

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
       [not found]     ` <CALu=v3LE+b5xZzTzETK-uJbR64D8O49f6dQ5KGKS_hhzY1q4dQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-15  5:44       ` Lloyd R. prentice
From: Lloyd R. prentice @ 2022-07-15  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi John,

As a writer/self-publisher, I value time and workflow efficiency. I also much appreciate the typographic and presentational benefits of LaTeX. But LaTeX markup of content imposes too much distraction and cognitive load for my taste. For this reason I was so enthusiastic about the LaTeX markdown package upon first encounter that I wrote a book striving to demonstrate how it can help self-publishers efficiently publish more beautiful books. Hope to launch by early fall.

 That said, at my level of inexperience and limited skill with TeX//LaTeX, the LaTeX markdown package falls short in two important ways:

1. Control over vertical spacing
2. Scaling and placement of images

And more, I feel that the syntactic bridge between the LaTeX markdown package and the full expressive power of TeX/LaTeX needs further thought and development.

I would much applaud a markup system that is as easy to learn, read, and write as markdown but with a simple syntactic bridge into the full power of LaTeX similar to the that between HTML and CSS.

All the best,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 14, 2022, at 7:00 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr-bM6h3K5UM15l57MIdRCFDg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

> Very interesting, John!  I like the idea of a fixed set of goals (which involved simplicity of implementation) and sticking to them!
>
> Leonard
>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 5:57 PM John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I've been designing a new light markup syntax, based on the ideas in my essay "Beyond Markdown" (https://johnmacfarlane.net/beyond-markdown.html).  I thought readers of this list might be interested.  The language and its rationale are described here:  https://github.com/jgm/djot
>>
>> The repository also contains a very fast parser written in pure Lua.  A pandoc custom reader and custom writer are also provided, so you can convert your favorite formats to and from djot.
>>
>> The syntax is briefly described here: https://djot.net/playground/syntax.html
>>
>> You can play with the implementation here: https://djot.net/playground/
>>
>> John
>>
>> --

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
       [not found] ` <EF9566B8-7F8B-49BD-9FFB-B370750C73BF-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-14 23:00   ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]     ` <CALu=v3LE+b5xZzTzETK-uJbR64D8O49f6dQ5KGKS_hhzY1q4dQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2022-07-14 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Very interesting, John!  I like the idea of a fixed set of goals (which
involved simplicity of implementation) and sticking to them!

Leonard

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 5:57 PM John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I've been designing a new light markup syntax, based on the ideas in my
> essay "Beyond Markdown" (https://johnmacfarlane.net/beyond-markdown.html).
> I thought readers of this list might be interested.  The language and its
> rationale are described here:  https://github.com/jgm/djot
>
> The repository also contains a very fast parser written in pure Lua.  A
> pandoc custom reader and custom writer are also provided, so you can
> convert your favorite formats to and from djot.
>
> The syntax is briefly described here:
> https://djot.net/playground/syntax.html
>
> You can play with the implementation here: https://djot.net/playground/
>
> John
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/EF9566B8-7F8B-49BD-9FFB-B370750C73BF%40berkeley.edu
> .

* Re: djot - a new light markup language
       [not found] ` <EF9566B8-7F8B-49BD-9FFB-B370750C73BF-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-14 22:48   ` T. Kurt Bond
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: T. Kurt Bond @ 2022-07-14 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Would you consider some method of specifying include files?

--
T. Kurt Bond, tkurtbond-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, https://tkurtbond.github.io

* djot - a new light markup language
@ 2022-07-14 21:57 John MacFarlane