Good morning, First of all, I want to say thank you to John MacFarlane and to everyone who works on Pandoc. It is a truly wonderful tool. If you have the chance, I'd be grateful for your advice about a citation format question. I've only just recently learned that in addition to the format *[@citekey, pagenum]*, it is possible to omit the surrounding brackets, thus preventing parentheses from being inserted in citations within footnotes. If I understand correctly, following the examples in the User's Guide, it should be possible to write something in a footnote like "For more information, see *@citekey [pagenum],*" yielding the correct reference in the footnote without enclosing it in parentheses. However, whenever I attempt this, the page number remains within brackets in the outputted file. For example, using the Chicago style and citing page 25, the result would be: "For more information, see *Author, Title (Place: Publisher, Year) [25]*." This seems to suggest that the page number is not actually being associated with the citation, and that it is just being outputted verbatim. The behavior is consistent when using different CSL stylesheets like MLA, on both macOS and Linux, using two different versions of Pandoc. I assume that I've misunderstood something, and would be grateful for advice. Many thanks for your time, and all my best, Joe -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4910c58b-3d87-4783-a878-cc52191475a2n%40googlegroups.com.