I'd like to extend the lua wordcount filter to tell me a bit more about specific parts of my text, specifically how many words are in the footnotes and how many words are in "original quotations," which I mark off with the tag in my markdown (and which I then strip later via another filter for certain versions). I got the footnote part to work but can't figure out the RawInline html bit. Any guidance would be appreciated. Here's my filter followed by a simple markdown doc and the results ``` -- counts words in a document words = 0 notewords = 0 quotewords = 0 notenoquotewords = 0 noquotewords = 0 wordcount = { Note = function(el) pandoc.walk_inline(el, { Str = function(el) if el.text:match("%P") then notewords = notewords + 1 end end }) end, RawInline = function(el) if el.text == '' then pandoc.walk_inline(el, { Str = function(el) if el.text:match("%P") then quotewords = quotewords + 1 end end }) end end, Str = function(el) -- we don't count a word if it's entirely punctuation: if el.text:match("%P") then words = words + 1 end end, Code = function(el) _,n = el.text:gsub("%S+","") words = words + n end, CodeBlock = function(el) _,n = el.text:gsub("%S+","") words = words + n end } function Pandoc(el) -- skip metadata, just count body: pandoc.walk_block(pandoc.Div(el.blocks), wordcount) mainwords = words - notewords notenoquotewords = notewords - quotewords noquotewords = words - quotewords print(words .. " total words") print(mainwords .. " words in main text") print(notewords .. " words in notes") print(noquotewords .. " total words minus original quotes") print(quotewords .. " words in original quotes") print (notenoquotewords .. " words in notes minus original quotes") os.exit(0) end ``` test.md mwe markdown file ``` Suspendisse malesuada venenatis mauris. Curabitur ornare mollis velit. Sed vitae metus. "Morbi posuere mi id odio."[^1] [^1]: Citation. ("Original quotation here.") ``` `pandoc --lua-filter wordcount.lua test.md` > 20 total words > 16 words in main text > 4 words in notes > 20 total words minus original quotes > 0 words in original quotes > 4 words in notes minus original quotes -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/49b04b07-285b-47f5-8b6b-b123db559b07o%40googlegroups.com.