* Apostrophe rendering in pdf
@ 2022-07-27 20:49 Claudio Di Vita
       [not found] ` <CAMBF16v+260F8GOnVNNHDWmwwhifzt3kfRgL87ThSzkdgYdpAQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Claudio Di Vita @ 2022-07-27 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

When I convert my markdown document to pdf, I notice that when a string is
within two apostrophes (the ' character), the apostrophe is rendered like a
left single quote.

Is there any way to change this behaviour ?

Thanks a lot, cheers

Claudio

* Re: Apostrophe rendering in pdf
       [not found] ` <CAMBF16v+260F8GOnVNNHDWmwwhifzt3kfRgL87ThSzkdgYdpAQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-28  7:59   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhDFiKANSFK20C0qMfFJ2-v6D6AXzAYM=Y5y8u_sFd8BAw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-07-28  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

A backslash before the apostrophe `\'` should give you a straight ' and
`&rsquo;` should give you a Unicode apostrophe/right single quotation mark.
If you are using LaTeX to produce PDF `\'` should in effect give you a
Unicode apostrophe, at least if you don't use `--to latex+smart` (I think;
I'm not near a machine with LaTeX installed right now.)

@ 2022-08-16 10:37       ` Claudio Di Vita
       [not found]         ` <17361617-9944-4082-86c8-ac8a38d2c294n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Claudio Di Vita @ 2022-08-16 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't work (with or without the smart
extension)

@ 2022-08-16 13:06           ` BPJ
       [not found]             ` <CADAJKhD0ZADeAk7r9NP_AVXcdt8Ay2QczmKnG+eofTWnRKVEJA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-08-16 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Then use HTML entities:

-   ‘  `&lsquo;`
-   ’  `&rsquo;`
-   “  `&ldquo;`
-   ”  `&rdquo;`
-   «  `&laquo;`
-   »  `&raquo;`
-   ‹  `&lsaquo;`
-   ›  `&rsaquo;`

These will always work, except that you might have to experiment with the
`+smart` and `-smart` extensions on the output format (some formats
counterintuitively require `-smart` to get the curved characters!)

For all the details see:

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark>

@ 2022-08-16 15:56               ` Claudio Di Vita
       [not found]                 ` <7885713e-5df3-4b6d-b19d-f1dc17514669n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Claudio Di Vita @ 2022-08-16 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I used &apos; for ' but with the all the possible combinations of smart
extensions (enabled/disabled on input and/or output format), an apostrophe
is rendered as a right single quote ’ (&rsquo;).

Maybe it depends on some LaTeX package I have included :(

Thanks,

Claudio

@ 2022-08-16 16:44                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <1CB38E73-2949-40B4-A5DF-77C16879D636-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-08-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You could try inserting the raw LaTeX

\textasciigrave{}

We should probably change the LaTeX writer to use this for straight quotes.

@ 2022-08-16 16:46                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-08-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry I meant

\textquotesingle{}

@ 2022-08-16 16:48                   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-08-16 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The problem is that LaTeX interprets the ' character as a right single quote. As John said, to type a straight quote, you can use the command \textquotesingle.

If you want all straight quotes in the LaTeX source produced by Pandoc to be printed as such in the PDF output, you can write the following instructions in your preamble (via "header-includes" or in your template):

\catcode`\'=13
\def'{\textquotesingle}

Then, by disabling the “smart” extension and backslash-escaping the single quotes that should printed as such (e.g. “it's the value \'value\'”), you should get the desired output.

@ 2022-08-16 17:01                     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-08-16 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've just pushed a change to the LaTeX writer so that this workaround won't be needed in the future.