* Curious behaviour of smart quotes in Chromium browser
@ 2012-04-07  2:05 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found] ` <4F7FA0EA.9030001-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2012-04-07  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear Folks,

I have encountered some curious behaviour of smart quote rendition in
the Chromium web browser.

What I am about to report might very well be a quirk in that browser
regarding rendition of the <q> </q> tag pair in HTML5. It does not
happen with Firefox on my machine. Here are the details.

I saved this single line

"This sentence is within double quotes."

in a file called quotes.text.

I then ran

pandoc --from markdown quotes.text --to html --smart --output quotes.html

to get the file

quotes.html

that looked like

Mark that the curly quotes have been correctly rendered as literals.

I then ran

pandoc --from markdown quotes.text --to html5 --smart --output
quotes-html5.html

to get the file

quotes-html5.html

that looked like

where the quotes are tags. Not being a full bottle on HTML5, I trust
that is what the standard stipulates.

In any case, the two files quotes.html and quotes-html5.html render
identically on Firefox but not on Chromium where the latter shows up
with straight quotes. I have attached appropriately named screenshots to
illustrate what I see.

I have brought this up because I wish to have HTML5 *and* curly quotes
if possible, showing up correctly on Chromium as well other popular
browsers, and need suggestions on how to go about this, given the quirky
behaviour I have encountered on Chromium.

Thank you.

Chandra

[-- Attachment #2: html-smart-quotes.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 6033 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: html5-smart-quotes.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 5817 bytes --]

* Re: Curious behaviour of smart quotes in Chromium browser
       [not found] ` <4F7FA0EA.9030001-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-04-07 15:00   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <B04FBE73-5976-4F2D-94ED-270922231CC9-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2012-04-07 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Rendering of q elements depends on CSS; probably firefox and chrome have different defaults.  If you use the -s flag, pandoc will insert default CSS for double curly quotes, which you can override w your own CSS.

John

@ 2012-04-09  2:50       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2012-04-09  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 07/04/12 20:30, John MacFarlane wrote:
> Rendering of q elements depends on CSS; probably firefox and chrome
> have different defaults.  If you use the -s flag, pandoc will insert
> default CSS for double curly quotes, which you can override w your
> own CSS.
>
> John

Thank you.

It took me awhile to understand what exactly you meant. I have got a
standalone version that now renders correctly in Chromium as well.

I trust that the magic incantation from the inline CSS that I need to
replicate in my CSS file is:

----
---

Thanks once again for the incredible polish in Pandoc :-)

Chandra