Dear Pandoc community, I have encountered two issues regarding Pandoc's handling of quotation marks in cases where Japanese and English texts are mixed. I am using Pandoc version 3.1.2 on macOS 12.6.3, and I can reproduce these issues. If these are indeed bugs, I am planning to submit them as issues on GitHub. However, I would appreciate any guidance if these issues arise from my incorrect usage. *Issue 1: Conversion of English phrases within Japanese text* I have observed the following issue. "input.md" is the input file, and "input.tex" is the output file. $ pandoc input.md -o input.tex input.md: その人は"Hello, world!"と言いました。 input.tex: その人は''Hello, world!{}``と言いました。 However, the conversion is correct when spaces are added before and after the double quotation marks. input.md: その人は "Hello, world!" と言いました。 input.tex: その人は ``Hello, world!'' と言いました。 *Issue 2: The quotation marks are treated as Japanese text* When converting with Pandoc, the quotation marks are treated as Japanese text, resulting in an unnaturally wide gap. I have confirmed this using two files, "preamble.tex" and "input.md," and specifying as follows: $ pandoc input.md -o input.pdf --pdf-engine=xelatex -H preamble.tex. preamble.tex: \usepackage{fontspec} \setmainfont{Georgia} \setjamainfont{BIZ UDMincho Medium} input.md: --- documentclass: bxjsarticle classoption: pandoc papersize: a4 fontsize: 10pt --- # はじめに その人は "Hello, world!" と言いました。 That person said, "Hello, world!" [image: pandoc test 2023-04-10 8.47.43.png] In contrast, when I directly write the content in TeX and output it using $ xelatex test.tex, the quotation marks are treated as English text, and the expected output is obtained. test.tex: \documentclass[a4paper,xelatex,ja=standard]{bxjsarticle} \usepackage{fontspec} \setmainfont{Georgia} \setjamainfont{BIZ UDMincho Medium} \title{テスト} \begin{document} \maketitle \section{はじめに} その人は ``Hello, world!'' と言いました。 That person said, ``Hello, world!'' \end{document} [image: xelatex test 2023-04-10 8.46.44.png] Shigeru Kobayashi -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4a0eafdc-b4a2-4a6a-9488-d2a1c9ef8351n%40googlegroups.com.