* smarter smart quotes please :)
@ 2017-11-09 16:56 Mikolaj Machowski
       [not found] ` <4a9afb56-e91e-4ae3-9089-b67da347f178-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mikolaj Machowski @ 2017-11-09 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

First of all: thank you for pandoc.

Second:

Any progress with configurable smart quotes?

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2620
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/3559

(I se 3559 was closed only with regard to translations of some envs.)

default when changing quotes pandoc defaults to US combination of:

66-upper 99-upper

But there are many other variations, for example:

Lang:    opening-q closing-q
Input:   "         "
German:  99-lower  66-upper
Polish:  99-lower  99-upper
French:  <<        >>
English: 6-upper   9-upper
Danish:  >>        <<

In HTML it is partially fixed with `--html-q-tags` but more advanced
typography, nbsp before/after some entities would be also great in:

html, docx, odt, rtf, epub

For example lines 1186+ from Docx.hs are:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/3897df868ad1e0ca5409e8fffd86c73dbf6f2b31/src/Text/Pandoc/Writers/Docx.hs#L1186

    where (open, close) = case quoteType of
           SingleQuote -> ("\x2018", "\x2019")
           DoubleQuote -> ("\x201C", "\x201D")

It would be great if those where lang dependent. Same for title of toc:
BTW - with regard to discussion about French quotation - do arguments here
accept
two characters: <opening-quote><nbsp> ?

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/3897df868ad1e0ca5409e8fffd86c73dbf6f2b31/src/Text/Pandoc/Writers/Docx.hs#L150

I am sorry, looks like I cannot setup Haskell environment on my maching to
test some things myself.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 431085 bytes --]

* Re: smarter smart quotes please :)
       [not found] ` <4a9afb56-e91e-4ae3-9089-b67da347f178-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-09 16:57   ` Mikolaj Machowski
From: Mikolaj Machowski @ 2017-11-09 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry, this one was about hard coded in English title of contents which is
bummer when exporting into docx.

@ 2017-11-11 15:04   ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]     ` <CAFC_yuQD80-CKPY6GUgEU6i_kL0tySkUoPjhzJvE-E6_2h+21w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2017-11-11 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have a filter which lets you define your own quotes in the metadata. You
can even use different quotes in different parts of a document by setting a
variable in a surrounding div. It is in need of some documentation though.

/bpj

@ 2017-11-11 19:15       ` Roland Hieber
       [not found]         ` <3467411c-29e0-66dd-71be-944c815ca720-NSJBNaQhiPN7tPAFqOLdPg@public.gmane.org>
From: Roland Hieber @ 2017-11-11 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11.11.2017 16:04, BP Jonsson wrote:
> I have a filter which lets you define your own quotes in the metadata.
> You can even use different quotes in different parts of a document by
> setting a variable in a surrounding div. It is in need of some
> documentation though.

It seems that it's also in need of a URL, since I would really like to
use it :-)

 - Roland

@ 2017-11-12 14:31       ` Mikolaj Machowski
From: Mikolaj Machowski @ 2017-11-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks, I've compiled script for Polish basic typography (no filter) it
would take more time:

https://github.com/vvizzo/mtypography

It is tailored strictly for Polish but discussion about no-breaking spaces
may be useful for other users.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 430312 bytes --]

@ 2017-11-13 14:39           ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2017-11-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Roland Hieber

Den 2017-11-11 kl. 20:15, skrev Roland Hieber:
> On 11.11.2017 16:04, BP Jonsson wrote:
>> I have a filter which lets you define your own quotes in the metadata.
>> You can even use different quotes in different parts of a document by
>> setting a variable in a surrounding div. It is in need of some
>> documentation though.
>
> It seems that it's also in need of a URL, since I would really like to
> use it :-)

I'm pleased to tell that it now has both:

https://git.io/vFocS

https://git.io/vFoBY (documentation)

/bpj