* SBL BibLit Font in Pandoc export
@ 2022-12-21 19:47 Stuart Thiessen
       [not found] ` <996ded0b-c2db-47c2-bce0-366c61a97009n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Stuart Thiessen @ 2022-12-21 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have research notes in Obsidian that I am exporting to PDF. My notes use
the SBL BibLit font [SBL Educational Resources (sbl-site.org)
<https://www.sbl-site.org/educational/BiblicalFonts_SBLBibLit.aspx>].
Unfortunately, all Greek and Hebrew words ---though present in Obsidian---
do not appear in my PDF export using Pandoc. If I use the native Obsidian
export to PDF, the Greek and Hebrew do show up. But I want to export via
Pandoc to take advantage of Pandoc's features. Any ideas what I can do to
make the Greek and Hebrew appear?

Thanks,

Stuart

* AW: SBL BibLit Font in Pandoc export
       [not found] ` <996ded0b-c2db-47c2-bce0-366c61a97009n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-12-21 20:03   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]     ` <cfdc30a5f3644989a1bad3eae41b858b-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-12-21 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What exactly are you doing? We (I) need more details to debug...
I have research notes in Obsidian that I am exporting to PDF. My notes use the SBL BibLit font [SBL Educational Resources (sbl-site.org)<https://www.sbl-site.org/educational/BiblicalFonts_SBLBibLit.aspx>]. Unfortunately, all Greek and Hebrew words ---though present in Obsidian--- do not appear in my PDF export using Pandoc. If I use the native Obsidian export to PDF, the Greek and Hebrew do show up. But I want to export via Pandoc to take advantage of Pandoc's features. Any ideas what I can do to make the Greek and Hebrew appear?

Thanks,

Stuart

* Re: SBL BibLit Font in Pandoc export
       [not found]     ` <cfdc30a5f3644989a1bad3eae41b858b-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-12-21 20:47       ` Stuart Thiessen
       [not found]         ` <CAB+Y0EWhGYbhxOty=Uv4wG_x=zwEByd9o6VdL1pPeabwfJJ_5Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Stuart Thiessen @ 2022-12-21 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm using the pandoc plugin in Obsidian that converts the Obsidian markdown
to Latex and runs it through pdflatex to output as a PDF. I am not using
any additional templates or other customizations. It should be fairly
straightforward. It is a plain output to PDF. I'm just confused why it
would drop the Greek and Hebrew unicode characters. But the .md files (as
best as I can determine) are utf-8 files and pandoc assumes a utf-8 file so
I expected the Greek and Hebrew to pass through without a problem.

I can also leave this question with the author of the plugin, but it seems
more of a pandoc issue than a plugin issue.

Thanks,

Stuart

@ 2022-12-21 21:03           ` Stuart Thiessen
       [not found]             ` <CAB+Y0EVnAGPKP-NB=hM6hU0eVe-tzAbJy+CqViCSbYT9DvoTWw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Stuart Thiessen @ 2022-12-21 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I just did another test exporting to another format (.docx) and it exports
the Greek/Hebrew fine to a Word document. But if I try to export to PDF via
latex, the Greek and Hebrew are missing. So, I'm guessing it has something
to do with the routing through Latex?

Thanks,

Stuart

@ 2022-12-21 21:04           ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-12-21 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well, it’s neither a Obsidian nor a Pandoc issue proper. The problem is that pdflatex is not the best solution if you need to process non-latin script. Instead, you should use xelatex or lualatex. But I don’t know how you can configure the Obsidian plugin to do this.

From: Stuart Thiessen @ 2022-12-21 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

After looking around more, I found that adding the following YAML to my
markdown file seems to make the Hebrew and Greek appear when I do a
Latex/Xetex --> PDF export with Pandoc. However, I can only get Everson
Mono or Lucida Sans Unicode to format the Hebrew appropriately. So far,
other fonts that have the Greek and Hebrew fonts (e.g., Calibri, Times New
Roman, etc.) do not format the Hebrew correctly. The vowel points are off.
However ... if I use the Pandoc to docx converter, it formats just fine. I
am suspecting it has something to do with the Latex / Xetex exporting. Do I
need something else in my YAML to handle the Hebrew better? The text of my
document is usually a mix of English, Hebrew, and Greek.

My YAML looks like this:

---
title: Notes on ______________
author: Stuart Thiessen
lang: en-US
documentclass: extarticle
mainfont: Everson Mono
monofont: Everson Mono
toc: true
header-includes:
  - \usepackage{tcolorbox}
toc-title: "Contents"
fontsize: 9pt
number-sections: true
name: ________
---

Thanks,

Stuart

@ 2022-12-21 22:45                   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]                     ` <3bceb33f594740489b6661592858cf10-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-12-21 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don’t know. Usually, the best way to debug these issues is to build a minimal file in latex. Tweak there until it works (maybe ask on tex.stackexchange for help if you can isolate specific issues). Then, once you know how the latex source should look like, work backwards from there and adjust the pandoc parameters.

If you share a source file, I can test how it renders here.

Best,
Denis

@ 2022-12-21 23:00                       ` Stuart Thiessen
From: Stuart Thiessen @ 2022-12-21 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ok. :) That gives me some idea how to puzzle it out. I will see what I can
try and then if I get stuck, I will come back with hopefully more specific
questions.

Thanks,

Stuart

--
—
Stuart Thiessen

@ 2022-12-22 12:25                   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2022-12-22 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 12/21/22 22:56, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> After looking around more, I found that adding the following YAML to my
> markdown file seems to make the Hebrew and Greek appear when I do a
> Latex/Xetex --> PDF export with Pandoc. However, I can only get Everson
> Mono or Lucida Sans Unicode to format the Hebrew appropriately. So far,
> other fonts that have the Greek and Hebrew fonts (e.g., Calibri, Times
> New Roman, etc.) do not format the Hebrew correctly. The vowel points
> are off.

Hi Stuart,

I don’t think the fonts you mention may have the required glyphs.

> However ... if I use the Pandoc to docx converter, it formats
> just fine. I am suspecting it has something to do with the Latex / Xetex
> exporting.

XeTeX (LuaTeX or the TeX engine you use) has to find the font. And I’m
afraid that this is the missing part.

You may have installed it on your OS, but the fontname database needs to
be update (sorry, I don’t know how to do it [I use ConTeXt instead]).

> Do I need something else in my YAML to handle the Hebrew
> better? The text of my document is usually a mix of English, Hebrew, and
> Greek.

I would write (otherwise it is impossible to get other mainfont than
Everson Mono):

  mainfont: SBLBibLit

To check whether the font is known to ConTeXt, you may compile the
following source with "context file-name.tex" (or the file name you want):

  \definefontfeature[minimal][default][
      ccmp=yes,
      script=hebr
  ]
  \definefontfamily[hebrew] [rm] [SBL Hebrew] [features=minimal]
  \definefontfamily[newhebrew] [rm] [SBLBibLit] [features=minimal]
  \setupbodyfont[hebrew]
  \setupalign[r2l]
  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1ex]
      בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃
  \\\newhebrew
      בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃
  \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

Just in case it might help,

Pablo