* Digitally Signed Outputs
@ 2023-05-01 22:42 Malcolm Nixon
       [not found] ` <5f41500c-54d8-43ca-855b-e2acfd0779dfn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Malcolm Nixon @ 2023-05-01 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Greetings all,

I'm looking to use Pandoc to generate digitally-signed PDFs from a CI
workflow - specifically the digital signature would be evidence that the
document hasn't been tampered with.

While the underlying Miktek PDF generator has a "digsig" package, it looks
like Pandoc doesn't have any command-line options for triggering the
signing of the output.

Am I missing something in the documentation (such as some means of
specifying custom miktek extensions).

Many thanks,
 - Malcolm

* Re: Digitally Signed Outputs
       [not found] ` <5f41500c-54d8-43ca-855b-e2acfd0779dfn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-05-09 10:52   ` Stephan Meijer
       [not found]     ` <e2e27a0d-7044-4533-b2a6-f42634e84b78n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Meijer @ 2023-05-09 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

With digitally signed, do you mean PDF/A?

Pandoc has some info about it on their
FAQ: https://pandoc.org/faqs.html#how-can-i-produce-pdfa-with-pandoc

Hope I was of any help.

Stephan

@ 2023-05-09 21:08       ` Malcolm Nixon
       [not found]         ` <73c2358c-ef08-411f-94e7-0d55e14b29b7n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Malcolm Nixon @ 2023-05-09 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes, PDF/A (when combined with a digital signature such as PAdES) looks to
be ideal in creating long-term tamper-resistant artifacts such as release
notes or test reports in CI pipelines.

I found the PDF/A documentation and tried giving it a shot; however it
looks like it only works with the ConTeXt engine, and the pandoc docker
images only come with LaTeX.

I might have to take a diversion and look into docker ;)

Many thanks,

    - Malcolm

@ 2023-05-10  0:24           ` Stephan Meijer
       [not found]             ` <4fffb9ee-436c-4356-88d1-6c918d3b44e8n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Meijer @ 2023-05-10  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Please keep in mind that when people are able to hack into your CI
pipelines, they can still tamper anyway.

Maybe you can sign the PDF after generating it? Maybe take a lookt
at https://pypi.org/project/endesive/

@ 2023-05-10  0:30               ` Stephan Meijer
       [not found]                 ` <7fd9f105-5d95-46ae-bf51-37c00c3532b7n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Meijer @ 2023-05-10  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You might even be able to sign any existing PDF documents using just openssl
.

@ 2023-05-10  0:31                   ` Stephan Meijer
From: Stephan Meijer @ 2023-05-10  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Also see https://github.com/opensignature/pdfsign

@ 2023-05-10 10:21           ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]             ` <871qjoscsn.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2023-05-10 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Malcolm Nixon <malcolm.nixon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I found the PDF/A documentation and tried giving it a shot; however
> it looks like it only works with the ConTeXt engine, and the pandoc
> docker images only come with LaTeX.
>
> I might have to take a diversion and look into docker ;)

Run this:

    printf 'FROM pandoc/latex\nRUN tlmgr install context' | \
      docker build -t pandoc/context -

Now you have a pandoc/context Docker image.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2023-05-10 18:45               ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]                 ` <CALu=v3KtnixWASLZrp6pp8oCZoqkP_5L3xBOXMa2RavW8-wMwA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2023-05-10 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

 After you resolve how to setup the pipeline - the next (bigger?) issue is
where will you get a digital certificate from?  How/where will you store it
so your CI can find it?  And how will you safely/securely provide the
passphrase for the key to the signing process?

Leonard

@ 2023-05-10 20:48                   ` Malcolm Nixon
From: Malcolm Nixon @ 2023-05-10 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss