* How to get a page break (/f) from Markdown -> docx?
@ 2014-10-03 13:55 Ken Kleinman
       [not found] ` <65081506-a54b-4aff-96a0-d8e1cb6accc2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ken Kleinman @ 2014-10-03 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello, folks--

Can anyone help me figure out how to insert a page break into a .docx,
using a file written in Markdown?

This ought to be possible with the \f escape code (formfeed), but using
this results in a file that Word will not open, despite the fact that \n
(newline) works fine.

Brief backstory: I'm using R and RStudio to write a mailmerge-like program
with text and personalized graphics for an NIH-funded research project.
 (RStudio uses Pandoc to convert from Markdown to .docx and pre-processing
to run R code and insert results.)  The goal is to return to research
participants some information about themselves in the context of the others
in the study.  My plan is to generate some text and graphics within R and
use Pandoc to generate the reports.  I've attached a (very) crude mock-up
of a graphic below.  The page break is needed to separate reports for each
individual in the project.

Many thanks!

--Ken Kleinman
[image: Inline image 1]

* Re: How to get a page break (/f) from Markdown -> docx?
       [not found] ` <65081506-a54b-4aff-96a0-d8e1cb6accc2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-10-03 14:10   ` Jesse Rosenthal
       [not found]     ` <87fvf5ckhv.fsf-4GNroTWusrE@public.gmane.org>
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2014-10-03 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Kleinman, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ken Kleinman <ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hello, folks--
>
> Can anyone help me figure out how to insert a page break into a .docx,
> using a file written in Markdown?

Well, the pandoc native format doesn't have pagebreaks (doesn't make
sense in a lot of its output formats, particularly html). So I don't
imagine it's possible. For what it's worth, the docx pagebreak xml is:

~~~
<w:p>
  <w:r>
    <w:br w:type="page"/>
  </w:r>
</w:p>
~~~

But I don't know what input we would want to have produce this output,
and we don't currently have a way to inject raw xml into a docx (nor do
I think we should).

For your purposes, probably producing different files for your different
recipients would be the way to go.

Best,
Jesse

@ 2014-10-03 14:21       ` Ken Kleinman
       [not found]         ` <d4db22fa-7e71-4ae5-aa46-ff75a2fe3a62-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ken Kleinman @ 2014-10-03 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

I had somewhat ignorantly contacted Jon MacFarlane separately to ask this
question, previously, and he replied with the following:

"It should be possible to achieve what you want to achieve using
pandoc filters, with a bit of coding.  The filters would insert
a bit of openxml code that produces a page break.  I don't have
time to figure out how to do this right now, but it should be
possible."

I gather you've provided the necessary XML code, Jesse.  Thanks.  Would the
idea of filters be a way in to making this work?

Separate files would also be a possibility, thanks.  It would be messier
coding in R than I'd hoped to do, and some administrative assistant will
have to open. print, close, each of hundreds of files, but I do think it's
better than nothing.

@ 2014-10-03 14:27       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-10-03 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Jesse Rosenthal [Oct 03 14 10:10 ]:
>Ken Kleinman <ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Hello, folks--
>>
>> Can anyone help me figure out how to insert a page break into a .docx,
>> using a file written in Markdown?
>
>Well, the pandoc native format doesn't have pagebreaks (doesn't make
>sense in a lot of its output formats, particularly html). So I don't
>imagine it's possible. For what it's worth, the docx pagebreak xml is:
>
>~~~
><w:p>
>  <w:r>
>    <w:br w:type="page"/>
>  </w:r>
></w:p>
>~~~
>
>But I don't know what input we would want to have produce this output,
>and we don't currently have a way to inject raw xml into a docx (nor do
>I think we should).

It can be done with a filter.  Just insert a RawBlock with type "openxml".  So it's just a matter of figuring out a syntax for the page breaks in the input file -- this could be something as simple as a paragraph containing just a formfeed character -- and using a filter to inject this into the docx.

@ 2014-10-03 14:28           ` Ken Kleinman
       [not found]             ` <404e04a7-e51c-4afe-ab5a-826a2ccfec86-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ken Kleinman @ 2014-10-03 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

I suppose the dumb obvious workaround would be to insert some text like
"PAGEBREAK" and then do a replace all in Word.  Duh.

@ 2014-10-03 14:39           ` Jesse Rosenthal
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2014-10-03 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Kleinman, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw
  Cc: ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Ken Kleinman <ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I gather you've provided the necessary XML code, Jesse.  Thanks.  Would the
> idea of filters be a way in to making this work?

Well, I'll be. John was right. You need to use the "openxml" format for
a raw block. Here's the block you need to work with:

~~~{.haskell}
pgBrkXml :: String
pgBrkXml = "<w:p><w:r><w:br w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>"

pgBrkBlock :: Block
pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml") pgBrkXml
~~~

And then you need a filter that can place it at the right point. Let's
say you want to put it before every top-level header:

~~~
insertPgBreaks :: [Block] -> [Block]
insertPgBreaks [] = []
insertPgBreaks (b : h@(Header 1 _ _): blks) =
  b : pgBrkBlock : (insertPgBreaks blks)
insertPgBreaks (b : blks) =
  b : (insertPgBreaks blks)

go :: Pandoc -> Pandoc
go (Pandoc m blks) = Pandoc m (insertPgBreaks blks)

main = toJSONFilter go
~~~

I haven't tested it yet, but something like that.

Cool. I didn't know you could do this.

Best,
Jesse

@ 2014-10-03 14:43               ` Jesse Rosenthal
       [not found]                 ` <874mvlcixp.fsf-4GNroTWusrE@public.gmane.org>
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2014-10-03 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Kleinman, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw
  Cc: ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Ken Kleinman <ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I suppose the dumb obvious workaround would be to insert some text like
> "PAGEBREAK" and then do a replace all in Word.  Duh.

Or put PAGEBREAK on a line by itself in your markdown source, and then
instead of the H1 filter I suggested before, just replace it in the
filter:

~~~
insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
insertPgBrks (Para [Str "PAGEBREAK"]) = pgBrkBlock
insertPgBrks blk = blk

main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks
~~~

@ 2014-10-03 14:50                   ` Ken Kleinman
       [not found]                     ` <c4a5f8d6-a674-4ffd-8f90-afa87647f069-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ken Kleinman @ 2014-10-03 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw
  Cc: ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Thanks, folks!

@ 2014-10-16 21:15                       ` Gavin Swanson
From: Gavin Swanson @ 2014-10-16 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: ken.kleinman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

The image isn't loading for me but I'll take a swing.

Using the style.docx file you can set the heading level that the person's
name is associated with to have a page break before. That sounds to me like
what you described wanting.

@ 2015-04-20 17:05   ` hjallen44-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]     ` <2085f4cb-d713-4975-a739-9ad775cd37c4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: hjallen44-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-04-20 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am new to r markdown and pandoc but not Rstudio.  Can anyone provide a
more explicit treatment of the use of the filter code?
As stated, I am using Rstudio and would like to create a filter
'pandoc-word-pagebreak' which would incorporate the replacement of
'\newpage' in my r markdown file with the appropriate xml.
I have tried copying
~~~{.haskell}
pgBrkXml :: String
pgBrkXml = "<w:p><w:r><w:br w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>"

pgBrkBlock :: Block
pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml") pgBrkXml
~~~
~~~
insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
insertPgBrks (Para [Str "\newpage"]) = pgBrkBlock
insertPgBrks blk = blk

main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks
~~~

into a text file titled pandoc-word-pagebreak in the working folder and
called using

word_document:
    pandoc_args: [
      "--filter", "pandoc-word-pagebreak"
    ]
in the header but to no avail.
Clearly the syntax for the filter is not correct.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Joel

@ 2015-04-20 17:17       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20150420171718.GB49983-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-04-20 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Try with

insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
insertPgBrks (RawBlock (Format "tex") "\newpage") = pgBrkBlock
insertPgBrks blk = blk

@ 2015-04-20 17:35           ` hjallen44-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]             ` <86515234-38b7-4fa5-8d21-0c94fe3cf9f6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: hjallen44-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-04-20 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for the response!
I think I may have a couple of issues going on.  First, the output I
receive with the above method amended as suggested is
pandoc: Error running filter pandoc-word-pagebreak
pandoc-word-pagebreak not found in path
Error: pandoc document conversion failed with error 83
I get this regardless of the path of the filter I give in the pandoc_args:
section.
The current version of pandoc on my RHEL 6 machine is 1.11.1 (I have a
request in to my IT folks for an upgrade).
One point of confusion for me is the statement in the release notes for
1.13 stating that this error text is thrown regardless of the cause for the
error.
So, is the error due to issues with the filter or due to something else
such as permissions?
Can I test outside of Rstudio?
I am currently working through the filter writing tutorial, hopefully I
will be able to learn something.
Thanks,
Joel

@ 2015-04-20 18:31               ` fiddlosopher
       [not found]                 ` <253add6a-b873-4a1c-ad97-3dadf4c7ed1f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: fiddlosopher @ 2015-04-20 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you give the filename `pandoc-word-pagebreak`, pandoc will expect the
filter to be an executable in the PATH with just that name.  So, if you
just have `pandoc-word-pagebreak.hs` in your working directory, that won't
work.

Try either `--filter pandoc-word-pagebreak.hs` compile the filter (`ghc
--make pandoc-word-pagebreak`) and use `--filter ./pandoc-word-pagebreak`.

Oh, you can test on the command line:

    pandoc --filter ./pandoc-word-pagebreak input.md -o output.docx

@ 2015-04-22 13:28                   ` hjallen44-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]                     ` <f65a84c9-7e2f-4ba1-a092-0c52f5f79186-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: hjallen44-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-04-22 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Here is an update on my efforts.
1. I updated the haskell platform and Pandoc on my RHEL 6 to the latest
versions.
2. I used the following filter code to replace "\newpage" with the pgBrkXml
which draws on the contributions above.  This was not successful.  The
'\newpage' entries were removed but the pgBrkXml was not inserted.
import Text.Pandoc.JSON
import Text.Pandoc
import Text.Pandoc.Walk (walk)

pgBrkXml :: String
pgBrkXml = "<w:p><w:r><w:br w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>"

pgBrkBlock :: Block
pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml") pgBrkXml

insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
insertPgBrks (RawBlock (Format "tex") "\newpage") = pgBrkBlock
insertPgBrks blk = blk

main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks
Question:  Are the opening imports necessary?

3. I also tried the following filter code replacing "PAGEBREAK" with the
pgBrkXml which was successful.  The result was a word file with the
pagebreaks in the correct places.

import Text.Pandoc.JSON
import Text.Pandoc
import Text.Pandoc.Walk (walk)

pgBrkXml :: String
pgBrkXml = "<w:p><w:r><w:br w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>"

pgBrkBlock :: Block
pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml") pgBrkXml

insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
insertPgBrks (Para [Str "PAGEBREAK"])  = pgBrkBlock
insertPgBrks blk = blk

main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks

4. In both instances, pandoc-word-pagebreak.hs was compiled as
$ ghc --make pandoc-word-pagebreak.hs
and the .md file was processed as:
$ pandoc --filter ./pandoc-word-pagebreak input.md -o output.docx

5.  Ideally, the first version replacing '\newpage' would work streamlining
the ability to output in different formats.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Joel

@ 2015-04-22 15:44                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20150422154425.GC52517-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-04-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ hjallen44-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [Apr 22 15 06:28 ]:
>Here is an update on my efforts.
>2. I used the following filter code to replace "\newpage" with the pgBrkXml
>which draws on the contributions above.  This was not successful.  The
>'\newpage' entries were removed but the pgBrkXml was not inserted.
>import Text.Pandoc.JSON
>import Text.Pandoc
>import Text.Pandoc.Walk (walk)
>
>pgBrkXml :: String
>pgBrkXml = "<w:p><w:r><w:br w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>"
>
>pgBrkBlock :: Block
>pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml") pgBrkXml
>
>insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
>insertPgBrks (RawBlock (Format "tex") "\newpage") = pgBrkBlock
>insertPgBrks blk = blk
>
>main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks
>Question:  Are the opening imports necessary?

You should only need Text.Pandoc.JSON.

To see why this didn't work, I did `pandoc -t native` and saw that

    hi

    \newpage

    there

comes out as

    [Para [Str "hi"]
    ,Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\newpage"]
    ,Para [Str "there"]]

This strikes me as a bug -- \newpage should be a block element.
I'll fix that later.  For now, you could add a clause

    insertPgBrks (Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\newpage"]) = pgBrkBlock

@ 2015-04-22 16:59                           ` hjallen44-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]                             ` <2f0fdd14-9f3e-4aa7-9d9c-756cc82f3a5d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: hjallen44-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-04-22 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks John!
Note that I had to double up on the backslashes before newpage as in:
insertPgBrks (Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\newpage"]) = pgBrkBlock

For a complete summary, here is the system set up, filter and steps I am
using to manage page breaks.
System:
RHEL 6.6
ghc 7.8.3
Pandoc 1.13.2.1
R 3.1.3
RStudio 0.98.1028

Filter code:
import Text.Pandoc.JSON

pgBrkXml :: String
pgBrkXml = "<w:p><w:r><w:br w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>"

pgBrkBlock :: Block
pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml") pgBrkXml

insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
insertPgBrks (Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\newpage"]) = pgBrkBlock
--insertPgBrks (RawBlock (Format "tex") "\newpage") = pgBrkBlock
insertPgBrks blk = blk

main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks

compile the filter
$ghc --make -v pandoc-word-newpage.hs

.Rmd file
---
title: "Test Doc"
author: "Joel Allen"
date: "04/16/2015"
output:
  word_document:
    pandoc_args:
    - --filter
    - pandoc-word-newpage
---
\newpage

Test Page 1

\newpage

Test Page 2

I then knit to word, pdf, or html in Rstudio.  Word and pdf now put
pagebreaks in the same place.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Joel

@ 2015-05-27 22:52                               ` JO
       [not found]                                 ` <0ef1e813-31dc-4c69-b37b-2114f4c4621a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: JO @ 2015-05-27 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've tried following the instructions provided by Joel exactly, except that
I'm using the bash terminal rather than Rstudio to create my output files.
My system is Ubuntu 14.04. I get the following error:
"pandoc: Error running filter ./pandoc-word-pagebreak
./pandoc-word-pagebreak not found in path "

Where should the result of "$ghc --make -v pandoc-word-newpage.hs" be
stored? I've put all the resulting files in $HOME/.cabal/bin and added this
to my path, but this didn't work.

Command to create the output file:

"pandoc -S -o output.odt --filter pandoc-citeproc --filter
./pandoc-word-pagebreak input.md  --reference-odt=template.odt "

Thanks for any advice you may have. I certainly am very unfamiliar with
haskell and properly using custom pandoc filters.

@ 2015-05-28 17:59                                   ` 'Jason Seeley' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Jason Seeley' via pandoc-discuss @ 2015-05-28 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Double check how you specify the filter's location. The dot-slash ( ./ ) at
the start of the filter means to look in the current directory only. If you
put it somewhere else on your path, try it with the dot-slash ("--filter
pandoc-word-pagebreak").

Jason

@ 2015-05-30 15:41                       ` amygroshek-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]                         ` <9c2658ec-c79f-4dd7-b403-21c88dc93bc4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: amygroshek-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-05-30 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This thread is excellent! I'm trying to get this working... Must be having
some sort of basic setup issue or something.

I'm just trying to use the basic "PAGEBREAK" replace option.

import Text.Pandoc.JSON

pgBrkXml :: String
pgBrkXml = "<w:p><w:r><w:br w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>"

pgBrkBlock :: Block
pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml")
pgBrkXml

insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
insertPgBrks (Para [Str "PAGEBREAK"])  = pgBrkBlock
insertPgBrks blk = blk

main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks

Getting all kinds of funky responses:

As-MacBook-Air:poetry macair$ pandoc --filter
/Users/macair/.pandoc/filter-pagebreak.hs test_ms.md -f markdown -t docx -s
-o test_ms.docx

/Users/macair/.pandoc/filter-pagebreak.hs: line 1: import: command not found

/Users/macair/.pandoc/filter-pagebreak.hs: line 3: pgBrkXml: command not
found

/Users/macair/.pandoc/filter-pagebreak.hs: line 4: pgBrkXml: command not
found

/Users/macair/.pandoc/filter-pagebreak.hs: line 6: pgBrkBlock: command not
found

/Users/macair/.pandoc/filter-pagebreak.hs: line 7: syntax error near
unexpected token `('

/Users/macair/.pandoc/filter-pagebreak.hs: line 7: `pgBrkBlock = RawBlock
(Format "openxml")'

pandoc: Error running filter /Users/macair/.pandoc/filter-pagebreak.hs

Compiling the filter also seems to go wonky:

As-MacBook-Air:.pandoc macair$ ghc --make filter-pagebreak.hs

[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( filter-pagebreak.hs,
filter-pagebreak.o )

filter-pagebreak.hs:8:1:

    Parse error: naked expression at top level

    Perhaps you intended to use TemplateHaskell

I'm new to Haskell and pandoc. Assuming there's some simple, basic,
no-brainer thing that I'm not doing?

All best!

@ 2015-05-30 17:13                           ` Jason White
       [not found]                             ` <20150530171323.GA20492-4VuKTzg51y8@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason White @ 2015-05-30 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

amygroshek-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <amygroshek-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This thread is excellent! I'm trying to get this working... Must be having
> some sort of basic setup issue or something.
>
> I'm just trying to use the basic "PAGEBREAK" replace option.
>
> import Text.Pandoc.JSON

The first line of your filter script should execute runhaskell, e.g.,
#!/usr/bin/env runhaskell

@ 2015-12-09  1:58                               ` Courtney Campany
       [not found]                                 ` <81dcb1b1-eb5a-4bb6-afdc-3ce9542d2cdb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Courtney Campany @ 2015-12-09  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I’m using markdown in Rstudio (with word output) to generate each of my
thesis chapters.  Im confused about where to place, run and compile the
given filter code.  I would really like to implement a page breadk but the
above threads are a little over over my coding paygrade. Can anyone help me
out?
Cheers,
Court Campany

@ 2015-12-11 13:49                                   ` Andrew Dunning
From: Andrew Dunning @ 2015-12-11 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You're wanting breaks after each chapter? In that case, use the built-in option for transforming first-level headings into chapters.

@ 2016-08-29 20:45                               ` joel allen
       [not found]                                 ` <a1dc8029-bc47-49d4-a55f-0c035c076ba5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: joel allen @ 2016-08-29 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Here is an update.  At some point along the line, the bug referenced by jgm
above has been remedied, which rendered the filter non-functional.  Here is
the current working script.
Joel
System:
Windows 7 Pro
ghc 7.10.2
Pandoc 1.17.1
R 3.2.3
RStudio 0.99.863

import Text.Pandoc.JSON

pgBrkXml :: String
pgBrkXml = "<w:p><w:r><w:br w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>"

pgBrkBlock :: Block
pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml") pgBrkXml

insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
--insertPgBrks (Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\newpage"]) = pgBrkBlock
insertPgBrks (RawBlock (Format "latex") "\\newpage") = pgBrkBlock

@ 2017-06-13 11:03                                   ` endymionselenicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]                                     ` <6ecc8d08-7c6d-4e76-8b35-004176e6af4b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: endymionselenicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2017-06-13 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear fellows,
I just wanted to thank you for the code I found on this discussion and for
every contribution. Unfortunately I have absolutely zero knowledge of
Haskell, but with a minimal edit to your code, I managed to make a little
filter to enable forwarding a custom page break command from Markdown to
ICML.
I needed this very much for my master's thesis. I am very grateful for your
sharing your knowledge. The code I used is this.

#!/usr/bin/env runhaskell
-- icmlpagebreaks.hs

import Text.Pandoc.JSON
import Text.Pandoc
import Text.Pandoc.Walk (walk)

pgBrkIcml :: String
pgBrkIcml = " <CharacterStyleRange
AppliedCharacterStyle=\"CharacterStyle/$ID/[No character style]\"
ParagraphBreakType=\"NextColumn\"><Br/></CharacterStyleRange> "

pgBrkBlock :: Block
pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "icml") pgBrkIcml

insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block
insertPgBrks (Para [Str "\\PAGEBREAK"]) = pgBrkBlock
insertPgBrks blk = blk

main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks

At the moment, it looks like it's working. I hope it is correct. Thank you
again, cheers

David

@ 2017-07-22 11:33                                       ` Jonathan Van Belle
From: Jonathan Van Belle @ 2017-07-22 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,
I see this filter and the other, is anyone can convert it to a multi format
script?

If I need to write pseudo code it will be something like
if format == 'html' then replace by "<div style=\"page-break-after:
always;\"></div>"
if format == 'openxml' then replace by "<w:p><w:r><w:br
w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>"
etc

thanks

@ 2019-01-21 21:07                                       ` sonya.mamurin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]                                         ` <f2152eb3-5e8e-42b7-9450-72035339de40-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: sonya.mamurin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2019-01-21 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi!

I've been trying to get frame breaks to work from markdown to ICML. I first
tried to insert the XML directly into the markdown, but the problem I have
is that I get a <Br /> after the inserted raw XML, so the frame begins with
a blank line. I tried to use your script (with NextColumn changed to
NextFrame, it works but gives the same <Br /> after the inserted XML.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get around that? I have tried to
not have empty lines before and after the \\FRAMEBREAK but then the text
isn't replaced with XML.

Best,

@ 2019-02-15 18:17                                           ` sonya.mamurin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
From: sonya.mamurin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2019-02-15 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)