* ANN: pandoc-columns
@ 2023-03-17 21:07 ` Amy de Buitléir
       [not found]   ` <028ea24c-05e7-4fca-aa6a-239c064e7fa5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Amy de Buitléir @ 2023-03-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Announcing pandoc-columns: A pandoc filter that provides a Markdown
extension for columns. This package has been available from my repo for a
while, but I have now uploaded it to Hackage, and also made it available as
a Nix flake.

Hackage: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-columns
Repo: https://github.com/mhwombat/pandoc-columns

* Re: ANN: pandoc-columns
       [not found]   ` <028ea24c-05e7-4fca-aa6a-239c064e7fa5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-03-22 23:48     ` Julien Dutant
       [not found]       ` <e5ce742a-fa7f-45d9-a0d8-381a8c2f37b5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Dutant @ 2023-03-22 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks! I wrote a similar filter in Lua, https://github.com/dialoa/columns.
Glad the markup is basically the same.

@ 2023-03-23  1:04         ` Gwern Branwen
       [not found]           ` <CAMwO0gyg9X6xUAbmiE+f0AdSfzOw4wtkq-sBtjZ8uKuvu-APTA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Gwern Branwen @ 2023-03-23  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

So I take it for HTML these two filters rely on
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Columns/Using_multi-column_layouts
https://www.caniuse.com/#feat=multicolumn , which is how other
packages like Markdeep do multi-columns
https://casual-effects.com/markdeep/features.md.html#multiplecolumns

But you can just do that with some additional CSS and then marking up
a .columns class <div>, no? Are these filters intended for supporting
other formats like PDF, or are they doing something more than just
inserting the relevant CSS for HTML outputs?

--
gwern
https://gwern.net

* Re: ANN: pandoc-columns
       [not found]           ` <CAMwO0gyg9X6xUAbmiE+f0AdSfzOw4wtkq-sBtjZ8uKuvu-APTA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-03-23  1:46             ` Julien Dutant
       [not found]               ` <PA4P194MB1024C2067B9C81E7476ACC85F1879-ld5XSqX31XtKubu+IphdeRarZgfDuEzWiGd9ebBGJoev3QGu/rdwKA@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Dutant @ 2023-03-23  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The dialoa/column filter does that, with subtle improvements (margin 0 on top to avoid an empty space we get by default), flexible markup (specify explicit column breaks rather than column divs, column spans, options for gaps and separator), and covers LaTeX/PDF output. See the test doc / manual https://github.com/dialoa/columns/blob/master/test.pdf

Julien Dutant
http://julien.dutant.free.fr/<http://julien.dutant.free.fr/en/>
https://github.com/jdutant

From: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> on behalf of Gwern Branwen <gwern-v26ZT+9V8bxeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>