* how to use a tabular in my markdown (any special considerations?)
@ 2022-06-25 19:01 John Gabriele
       [not found] ` <2c8ee7b9-3c91-452f-8e31-5c6c40c46d3d-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Gabriele @ 2022-06-25 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi all,

I'm trying to put a tabular element in my markdown file. My LaTeX is a little rusty, but here's what I have

~~~
hi

\begin{tabular}{l l}
^<Up/Down/Left/Right> &  move by word/para \\
<PgUp/PgDn/Home/End>  &  what you expect \\
[a/e                  &  beginning/end of doc \\
^]                    &  go to matching bracket \\
^j                    &  jump to line number \\
\end{tabular}

bye
~~~

This fails with:

~~~
Error producing PDF.
! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
                $
l.70 ^
~~~

I thought maybe it was those carets (^), so I backslash-escaped them, but then still got this error:

~~~
Error producing PDF.
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
l.73 \^]
~~~

What special text rules must I follow in the content of my tabular fields?

***

Background: BTW, the reason I want to do this is because I'm writing a twocolumn landscape pdf, and it turns out that tables don't work in 2-column (see https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1023 ). I thought maybe it would work because my output pdf is landscape rather than portrait:

    pandoc -t pdf -o foo.pdf -V geometry="margin=0.8in,landscape,twocolumn" -V fontsize=12pt foo.txt

but alas that is not the case. So, I figured I'd get my tables by writing raw latex tabular blocks.

Thanks,
-- John

* Re: how to use a tabular in my markdown (any special considerations?)
       [not found] ` <2c8ee7b9-3c91-452f-8e31-5c6c40c46d3d-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-25 20:10   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m235fsld22.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-06-25 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Gabriele, pandoc-discuss

You can debug some problems like this by using
pandoc -t latex

For example

pandoc -t latex
^\<Up/Down/Left/Right\>

yields

\^{}\textless Up/Down/Left/Right\textgreater{}

which tells you that ^ and < and > need to
be treated specially in LaTeX.

@ 2022-06-28 23:38       ` John Gabriele
From: John Gabriele @ 2022-06-28 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane, pandoc-discuss

Ah! I'd forgotten that *in LaTeX*:

  * `^` is special --- and you can't just backslash-escape it to get that character (since that would give you a hat)
  * `<` and `>` are also special in plain text, yielding ¡ (upside-down bang) and ¿ (upside-down question mark)  for some reason (!?).
  * you can put stuff like that into `\verb|...|` so they come out verbatim.

So, `\verb` worked fine for me.

Thank you! And thanks for the tip about debugging by looking at Pandoc's latex output.
-- John