* extended title block in pandoc's markdown
@ 2012-11-11 17:47 Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found] ` <509FE49D.7040803-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-11 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi John,

the extended markdown format enables three fields for metadata:

	% title
	% author (authors separated by semicolons)
	% date

I think it will be extremely helpful for users to be able to add two
additional fields for metadata:

	% language
	% rights

Language should be also passed to any <html> element generated from the
source document.

With these two further elements, the need of having to invoke a
metadata.xml file for ePub or HTML documents is greatly reduced.

I have also a suggestion for distinguishing title and subtitle as
different fields. English uses colon to separate title from subtitle
(such as “German Expressionism: An Introduction”), but this is the
exception to the general rule, such as German, French, Italian or Spanish.

Title and subtitle could be distinguished in the following way:

	% title
	: subtitle

Except in English, this isn't the same as

	% title: subtitle

because «La cuestión del título: distinciones» would be only a title in
Spanish (to be distinguished that title should read: «La cuestión del
título. Distinciones»).

Being able to distinguish title and subtitle is also important for the
automatic generation of cover page of ePub files.

Would you be so kind to consider the improvement suggestions for
extended pandoc?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: extended title block in pandoc's markdown
       [not found] ` <509FE49D.7040803-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-11-11 18:11   ` Gwern Branwen
From: Gwern Branwen @ 2012-11-11 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I think it will be extremely helpful for users to be able to add two
> additional fields for metadata:
>
>         % language
>         % rights

And I think it would be very useful to have metadata fields for tags,
description, split date into 'created' and 'last-modified' fields, and
also include a progress or version field to specify how finished
something is.

They haven't made it in either.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

* Re: extended title block in pandoc's markdown
@ 2012-11-11 19:35     ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]       ` <509FFE0A.1070107-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-11 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/11/12 19:11, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I think it will be extremely helpful for users to be able to add two
>> additional fields for metadata:
>>
>>         % language
>>         % rights
>
> And I think it would be very useful to have metadata fields for tags,
> description, split date into 'created' and 'last-modified' fields, and
> also include a progress or version field to specify how finished
> something is.

Language and rights can be applied to HTML, ePub, ConTeXt and LaTeX.
Tags could be also applied to all this formats, but as far as I know the
other fields you suggested aren't.

In that case, maybe the metadata should be inserted in the document in a
different way (something like ".metadata:" at the beginning of the
document).

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--

@ 2012-11-11 20:09         ` Gwern Branwen
From: Gwern Branwen @ 2012-11-11 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Language and rights can be applied to HTML, ePub, ConTeXt and LaTeX.
> Tags could be also applied to all this formats, but as far as I know the
> other fields you suggested aren't.

All of my suggestions have Dublin Core definitions or support and
indeed that is how I use them in HTML; I would be extremely surprised
if LaTeX/ConTeXt (!) didn't support at least as rich metadata, and a
little surprised if ePub didn't (targeted as it is at publishers with
complex metadata needs).

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

@ 2012-11-12 12:51   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]     ` <50A0F0E2.8020803-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2012-11-12 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodríguez; +Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/11/2012 12:47 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> I have also a suggestion for distinguishing title and subtitle as
> different fields. English uses colon to separate title from subtitle
> (such as “German Expressionism: An Introduction”), but this is the
> exception to the general rule, such as German, French, Italian or Spanish.

John has noted that a future version will soon support arbitrary
multimarkdown/colon metdata at the beginning of the document -- most of
which will be ignored by pandoc. I'm really looking forward to this as I
will be to include "build" options within the document itself (e.g., use
a particular bibliographic stylesheet) that are used by my pandoc wrappers.

@ 2012-11-12 13:03       ` Dennis Groves
From: Dennis Groves @ 2012-11-12 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw