* DOCX output, headings in square brackets
@ 2013-10-17  7:46 Václav Zeman
       [not found] ` <CAKw7uVg29A11t1TWtDbhJPN82j4xGJHApLRztPvZAzyYD4b8Bg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Zeman @ 2013-10-17  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi.

I am seeing that all headings in DOCX output are in square brackets.
The brackets do not seem to be selectable though. Is there a reason
for this? Can the square brackets be removed anyhow?

--
VZ

* Re: DOCX output, headings in square brackets
       [not found] ` <CAKw7uVg29A11t1TWtDbhJPN82j4xGJHApLRztPvZAzyYD4b8Bg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-10-17 16:05   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20131017160512.GB65594-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-10-17 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Can you give sample input that causes headings in square brackets
in the docx output?  Also give the command line you used, and
pandoc version.

+++ Václav Zeman [Oct 17 13 09:46 ]:

@ 2013-10-21  9:28       ` Václav Zeman
       [not found]         ` <CAKw7uVhzesG5tuw2OD5jtEy6WWcfCL7HwWkQah5_Wk31y78C+A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Zeman @ 2013-10-21  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 17 October 2013 18:05, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Can you give sample input that causes headings in square brackets
> in the docx output?  Also give the command line you used, and
> pandoc version.
>
> +++ Václav Zeman [Oct 17 13 09:46 ]:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I am seeing that all headings in DOCX output are in square brackets.
>> The brackets do not seem to be selectable though. Is there a reason
>> for this? Can the square brackets be removed anyhow?

I am attaching a screenshot that shows the square brackets. The
command line I have used (beside input and output file names) is this:

-f markdown+pipe_tables+table_captions+strikeout+footnotes+inline_notes
--slide-level=2 --number-sections --smart --self-contained
--standalone --toc --toc-depth=4 --listings --normalize

--
VZ

[-- Attachment #2: square-brackets.PNG --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 3472 bytes --]

@ 2013-10-21  9:31           ` Václav Zeman
       [not found]             ` <CAKw7uVh=jK-dxspTEOgKMHtQVeXF+bYXAGEAm1LAZA48GfJS3g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Zeman @ 2013-10-21  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 21 October 2013 11:28, Václav Zeman <vhaisman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 17 October 2013 18:05, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Can you give sample input that causes headings in square brackets
>> in the docx output?  Also give the command line you used, and
>> pandoc version.
>>
>> +++ Václav Zeman [Oct 17 13 09:46 ]:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I am seeing that all headings in DOCX output are in square brackets.
>>> The brackets do not seem to be selectable though. Is there a reason
>>> for this? Can the square brackets be removed anyhow?
>
> I am attaching a screenshot that shows the square brackets. The
> command line I have used (beside input and output file names) is this:
>
> -f markdown+pipe_tables+table_captions+strikeout+footnotes+inline_notes
> --slide-level=2 --number-sections --smart --self-contained
> --standalone --toc --toc-depth=4 --listings --normalize
I am also attaching a sample of generated DOCX that shows the square brackets.

--
VZ

[-- Attachment #2: square-brackets.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 8412 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: square-brackets.md --]

# Heading 1

Text.

## Heading 2

More text.

@ 2013-10-21 16:39           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20131021163920.GG56864-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-10-21 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This isn't much help unless you also give me some input that
produces the bracketed headings.

Note also:
markdown+pipe_tables+table_captions+strikeout+footnotes+inline_notes
is unnecessary, since standard pandoc 'markdown' includes all those
extensions already.

--slide-level is not appropriate for docx output, since that isn't a
slide format.

--self-contained is also unnecessary, since all docx are self-contained.
Ditto --standalone.

Normally --normalize isn't needed.

--listings is only for latex output.

+++ Václav Zeman [Oct 21 13 11:28 ]:

@ 2013-10-21 16:43               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20131021164354.GA60687-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-10-21 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Strange.  When I open your square-brackets.docx in Word, I don't
see any square brackets.  What version of Word are you using, btw?

+++ Václav Zeman [Oct 21 13 11:31 ]:

@ 2013-10-21 22:04               ` Václav Zeman
From: Václav Zeman @ 2013-10-21 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 10/21/2013 06:39 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> This isn't much help unless you also give me some input that
> produces the bracketed headings.
>
> Note also:
> markdown+pipe_tables+table_captions+strikeout+footnotes+inline_notes
> is unnecessary, since standard pandoc 'markdown' includes all those
> extensions already.
OK.

> --slide-level is not appropriate for docx output, since that isn't a
> slide format.
>
> --self-contained is also unnecessary, since all docx are self-contained.
> Ditto --standalone.
>
> Normally --normalize isn't needed.
>
> --listings is only for latex output.

I am using the same command line to output many different formats at the
same time from a batch script. At the time I wrote the batch script, it
seemed that keeping the redundant options did not have any adverse
effect. I will retest.

@ 2013-10-21 22:07                   ` Václav Zeman
From: Václav Zeman @ 2013-10-21 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 10/21/2013 06:43 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> Strange.  When I open your square-brackets.docx in Word, I don't
> see any square brackets.  What version of Word are you using, btw?
The 2010 version.

@ 2013-10-22 12:16                   ` Václav Zeman
       [not found]                     ` <CAKw7uVh9MwaxKV3smD4rR3MmZN+Ezk7++prZ1ppmi8P4mfp7TA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Zeman @ 2013-10-22 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 21 October 2013 18:43, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Strange.  When I open your square-brackets.docx in Word, I don't
> see any square brackets.  What version of Word are you using, btw?
>
> +++ Václav Zeman [Oct 21 13 11:31 ]:

>> > I am attaching a screenshot that shows the square brackets. The
>> > command line I have used (beside input and output file names) is this:
>> >
>> > -f markdown+pipe_tables+table_captions+strikeout+footnotes+inline_notes
>> > --slide-level=2 --number-sections --smart --self-contained
>> > --standalone --toc --toc-depth=4 --listings --normalize
>> I am also attaching a sample of generated DOCX that shows the square brackets.

I have added another heading using Word and then I have dissected the
resulting DOCX file. Here is what Word produces for the additional
heading added manually:

        <w:p w:rsidR="00455074" w:rsidRDefault="00455074" w:rsidP="00455074">
            <w:pPr>
                <w:pStyle w:val="Heading2"/>
            </w:pPr>
            <w:r>
                <w:t>Heading without square brackets</w:t>
            </w:r>
        </w:p>

And here is what Pandoc produces for the headings that show the brackets for me:

        <w:p w:rsidR="00A61853" w:rsidRDefault="004C1970">
            <w:pPr>
                <w:pStyle w:val="Heading2"/>
            </w:pPr>
            <w:bookmarkStart w:id="1" w:name="heading-2"/>
            <w:r>
                <w:t>Heading 2</w:t>
            </w:r>
        </w:p>
        <w:bookmarkEnd w:id="1"/>

The only differences that I can spot are that

1. w:rsidR and w:rsidRDefault attributes are different.
2. There is additional pair of w:bookmarkStart and w:bookmarkEnd for
the Pandoc produced headings.
3. Also notice, that the w:bookmarkStart and w:bookmarkEnd are not on
the same levels. Is this correct?

--

@ 2013-10-23  2:56                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-10-23  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Václav Zeman [Oct 22 13 14:16 ]:
> On 21 October 2013 18:43, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Strange.  When I open your square-brackets.docx in Word, I don't
> > see any square brackets.  What version of Word are you using, btw?
> >
> > +++ Václav Zeman [Oct 21 13 11:31 ]:

> >> I am also attaching a sample of generated DOCX that shows the square brackets.
>
> I have added another heading using Word and then I have dissected the
> resulting DOCX file. Here is what Word produces for the additional
> heading added manually:
>
>         <w:p w:rsidR="00455074" w:rsidRDefault="00455074" w:rsidP="00455074">
>             <w:pPr>
>                 <w:pStyle w:val="Heading2"/>
>             </w:pPr>
>             <w:r>
>                 <w:t>Heading without square brackets</w:t>
>             </w:r>
>         </w:p>
>
> And here is what Pandoc produces for the headings that show the brackets for me:
>
>         <w:p w:rsidR="00A61853" w:rsidRDefault="004C1970">
>             <w:pPr>
>                 <w:pStyle w:val="Heading2"/>
>             </w:pPr>
>             <w:bookmarkStart w:id="1" w:name="heading-2"/>
>             <w:r>
>                 <w:t>Heading 2</w:t>
>             </w:r>
>         </w:p>
>         <w:bookmarkEnd w:id="1"/>
>
> The only differences that I can spot are that
>
> 1. w:rsidR and w:rsidRDefault attributes are different.
> 2. There is additional pair of w:bookmarkStart and w:bookmarkEnd for
> the Pandoc produced headings.
> 3. Also notice, that the w:bookmarkStart and w:bookmarkEnd are not on
> the same levels. Is this correct?

Interesting.  I just ran pandoc to generate a docx from this source:

## Header 2

The body of the result was:

  <w:body>
    <w:bookmarkStart w:id="21" w:name="heading-2" />
    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>
        <w:pStyle w:val="Heading2" />
      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>
        <w:t xml:space="preserve">
Heading 2
</w:t>
      </w:r>
    </w:p>
    <w:bookmarkEnd w:id="21" />
  </w:body>

I note several differences from what you attach above.
I'm guessing that what you've sent me is not what pandoc produced,
but perhaps the result of saving what pandoc produced from Word?
Odd, though, that Word would produce invalid HTML.

John