From: Kolen Cheung <christian.kolen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Does $DATADIR work?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 03:30:52 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

I’m interested in hearing how you want to set up and use it. You mentioned HPC cluster, but is it HPC, or cluster? So is it like you want to set up an environment so that members of the same group can use pandoc in the same environment?

In any case, It seems like you want to be able to build something in a reproducible way. You could consider docker/shifter if the facility you’re using support it. Or you could write a makefile if it is “project-based” like a paper to be published. You can also consider using panzer (I haven’t used it myself but heard good comments about it) that allows setting up a “config file” define different “styles” where each is equiv. to a set of args and filters, etc. to be used.

There’s a couple of things that data-dir will be used to look up things, but none of them (as far as I can remember) requires them to be in that dir. e.g. if you have filters, they will work as long as it is in the PATH, if it is templates, you can again specify the template path in an arg (useful for makefile, config file, etc.)

One advantage of shifter is that you can control the whole stack of pandoc’s dependencies there, e.g. LaTeX (not that you can’t do so without it), because often time those in the HPC/HTC/clusters environments are quite old.

If it is project-based, it might actually be more convenient to set one up using GitHub + Travis CI. I have one project setup like this and we don’t even need our own server. Every time a git tag is created, the output (PDFs + ePubs + HTMLs) will be released in GitHub Releases automatically. I can share how it’s done if you want.

You could also checkout pypandoc, it’s available in conda as well, so you could setup a conda environment that way. This is especially useful if you also need pandoc filters written in Python. pandocfilters is available in conda. I’ve tried to add a recipe of panflute to conda but there’s something I don’t know how to do and didn’t have time to figure that out yet (it is related to the complication to support python2 users from python3 codes. help welcome). If you decide to go this way, bare in mind that newer versions of pypandoc’s conda recipe doesn’t really install pandoc for now and has a pandoc_download script to install it, which might be a problem to HPC/cluster users. You could use an older version of pypandoc or help fixing that open issue.