* Customize EPUB Title Page
@ 2014-12-21 20:05 Karsten W.
       [not found] ` <cb41e923-e763-4f38-aabc-426c8fa3f3a3-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Karsten W. @ 2014-12-21 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

still an my small first ebook project, I am exploring the possibilities of
the title page before the table of contents. Currently, it shows title,
name and date:

  <h1 class="title">My first small ebook</h1>
  <h2 class="author">K. Weinert</h2>
  <h3 class="date">2014-12-20</h3>

Now is it possible to include further metadata on this page? For instance,
the "rights" would be useful in my case. With the metadata being:

---
title: My first small ebook
author: K. Weinert
cover-image: cover.jpg
stylesheet: mystyle.css
date: 2014-12-20
rights: |
    (c) by me.

    The author is not offering this ebook as legal, accounting, or other
professional services advice. While best efforts have been used in
preparing this book,
    the author make no representations or warranties of any kind and assume
no liabilities of any kind with respect to the accuracy or completeness of
the
    contents and specifically disclaim any implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness of use for a particular purpose.

    Neither the author nor the publisher shall be held liable or
responsible to any person or entity with respect to any loss or incidental
or consequential damages
    caused, or alleged to have been caused, directly or indirectly, by the
information or programs contained herein.

For further projects, also the abstract metadata comes to mind as a
candidate for the title page. I searched pandoc's user guide and the epub
example "Pro Git",
but did not find something.

Any hints on styling the title page are appreciated!

Kind regards
Karsten

* Re: Customize EPUB Title Page
       [not found] ` <cb41e923-e763-4f38-aabc-426c8fa3f3a3-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-12-21 20:44   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2014-12-21 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 12/21/2014 09:05 PM, Karsten W. wrote:
> Hi,
> still an my small first ebook project, I am exploring the possibilities
> of the title page before the table of contents. Currently, it shows
> title, name and date:

>   <h1 class="title">My first small ebook</h1>
>   <h2 class="author">K. Weinert</h2>
>   <h3 class="date">2014-12-20</h3>
>
> Now is it possible to include further metadata on this page? For
> instance, the "rights" would be useful in my case. With the metadata being:

Hi Karsten,

which is your pandoc version? I’m using pandoc-1.13.1, but I think that
the template has been changed in version 1.13.2 to include a copyright page.

You can always create your own copyright page:

> ---
> title: My first small ebook
> author: K. Weinert
> cover-image: cover.jpg
> stylesheet: mystyle.css
> date: 2014-12-20
> rights: |
>     (c) by me.
>
>     The author is not offering this ebook as legal, accounting, or other
> professional services advice. While best efforts have been used in
> preparing this book,
>     the author make no representations or warranties of any kind and
> assume no liabilities of any kind with respect to the accuracy or
> completeness of the
>     contents and specifically disclaim any implied warranties of
> merchantability or fitness of use for a particular purpose.
>
>     Neither the author nor the publisher shall be held liable or
> responsible to any person or entity with respect to any loss or
> incidental or consequential damages
>     caused, or alleged to have been caused, directly or indirectly, by
> the information or programs contained herein.

Right after the metadata:

# [Copyright page] {.hidden #copyright-page}

© 2014 Karsten Weinert

All rights reserved.

The author is not offering this ebook as legal, accounting, or other
professional services advice. While best efforts have been used in
preparing this book,

The author make no representations or warranties of any kind and
assume no liabilities of any kind with respect to the accuracy or
completeness of the contents and specifically disclaim any implied
warranties of merchantability or fitness of use for a particular purpose.

Neither the author nor the publisher shall be held liable or
responsible to any person or entity with respect to any loss or
incidental or consequential damages  caused, or alleged to have been
caused, directly or indirectly, by the information or programs contained
herein.

And CSS file:

.hidden>h1 {
    visibility: hidden;
    margin: 0%;
    padding: 0%;
    font-size: 0pt;
    }

#copyright-page {
    line-height: 120%;
    text-align: justify;
    font-size: 95%;
    text-indent: 0%;
    margin-top: 0%;
    padding-top: 0%;
    }

#copyright-page p {
    text-indent: 0%;
    padding-top: 0%;
    }

This is what I used for an ebook and it looks fine.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2014-12-22 16:25   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20141222162500.GB95411-bi+AKbBUZKaOwiQRAsGx7a+gxsCIUpAnHiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-12-22 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

(These remarks concern pandoc 1.13.2 and its default templates.)

You can customize the epub (or epub3) template.  See the User's Guide
under Templates for basic instructions.  The epub templates have
conditionals

    $if(titlepage)$
    $endif$

and whatever goes in place of the ... will be on the title page.
So, this is extremely customizable.

+++ Karsten W. [Dec 21 14 12:05 ]:

@ 2014-12-23  0:30       ` Karsten W.
From: Karsten W. @ 2014-12-23  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for your replies!

I just downloaded pandoc 1.13.2 and learned about the

pandoc -D epub

and

pandoc --template=FILE

features. This is great and easy to understand. I will certainly use it at
some point.
For the current project, I decided to create a colophon section at the end
of the document where all the stuff, credits, disclaimer, etc goes into.

Kind regards
Karsten

@ 2014-12-28 11:31       ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]         ` <549FEA2B.2080005-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2014-12-28 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 12/22/2014 05:25 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> (These remarks concern pandoc 1.13.2 and its default templates.)
>
> You can customize the epub (or epub3) template.  See the User's Guide
> under Templates for basic instructions.  The epub templates have
> conditionals
>
>     $if(titlepage)$
>     $endif$
>
> and whatever goes in place of the ... will be on the title page.
> So, this is extremely customizable.

John,

I’m afraid that the rights metadata field is always considered as being
a single paragraph.

To make it more customizable, would it be possible that the rights value
won’t be considered as a single paragraph?

Otherwhise, this won’t work:

---
title: My first small ebook
author: K. Weinert
stylesheet: mystyle.css
date: 2014-12-20
rights: © 2014 Karsten Weinert

    All rights reserved.

    The author is not offering this ebook as legal, accounting, or other
professional services advice. While best efforts have been used in
preparing this book, the author make no representations or warranties of
any kind and assume no liabilities of any kind with respect to the
accuracy or completeness of the contents and specifically disclaim any
implied warranties of merchantability or fitness of use for a particular
purpose.

    Neither the author nor the publisher shall be held liable or
responsible to any person or entity with respect to any loss or
incidental or consequential damages   caused, or alleged to have been
caused, directly or indirectly, by the information or programs contained
herein.
stylesheet: book.css

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2014-12-28 12:49           ` Mark Szepieniec
       [not found]             ` <CAE4-1rU5pJmLwGwFs=ww+DJ-ZH-wYyk=X7wW9LPePFX-ag2ipQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-28 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Is that not simply a YAML issue?

From http://www.pandoc.org/README.html:

The pipe character (|) can be used to begin an indented block that will be
interpreted literally, without need for escaping. This form is necessary
when the field contains blank lines:

@ 2014-12-28 16:56               ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2014-12-28 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 12/28/2014 01:49 PM, Mark Szepieniec wrote:
> Is that not simply a YAML issue?
>
> From http://www.pandoc.org/README.html:
>
> The pipe character (|||) can be used to begin an indented block that
> will be interpreted literally, without need for escaping. This form is
> necessary when the field contains blank lines:

Many thanks for your reply, Mark.

I have just discovered that this is a different issue. ebook-viewer
(from calibre-2.13) shows a different code than the ePub file actually
contains (this is something I have just discovered).

It is actually a template issue.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

http://www.ousia.tk