* Mixed Hebrew, Greek, English, with specific fonts for each?
@ 2015-02-03  7:29 Mycroft Jones
       [not found] ` <0d3df016-fefe-4024-9be5-d0b96cad9488-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mycroft Jones @ 2015-02-03  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I write documents that are mostly English, but that include Greek and
Hebrew quotations.  Since pandoc is UTF-8, that shouldn't be a problem.
For the Hebrew, I sometimes want to use a paleoHebrew font.  How can I tell
pandoc to use a specific truetype font for a specific range of Unicode code
points?  Specifically, tell it that Hebrew characters should be rendered
with myPhoenicianHebrewFont.ttf

Mycroft

* Re: Mixed Hebrew, Greek, English, with specific fonts for each?
       [not found] ` <0d3df016-fefe-4024-9be5-d0b96cad9488-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-03 16:56   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-02-03 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What output format?  If you're targeting PDF via LaTeX, you
should use

    --latex-engine=xelatex

and then customize the latex template to set various font
and polyglossia options.  Hopefully someone on the list who
is more expert than I about this can help further.

+++ Mycroft Jones [Feb 02 15 23:29 ]:

@ 2015-02-03 17:28   ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]     ` <54D10552.5010905-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2015-02-03 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Den 2015-02-03 08:29, Mycroft Jones skrev:
> I write documents that are mostly English, but that include Greek and
> Hebrew quotations.  Since pandoc is UTF-8, that shouldn't be a problem.
> For the Hebrew, I sometimes want to use a paleoHebrew font.  How can I tell
> pandoc to use a specific truetype font for a specific range of Unicode code
> points?  Specifically, tell it that Hebrew characters should be rendered
> with myPhoenicianHebrewFont.ttf
>
> Mycroft

IT depends of what kind(s) of output you want.

If you only want to produce HTML you can just wrap the pieces
which need a special font in `<span>` and `<div>` tags with
suitable classes and then style them with CSS.

If you only wamt to produce LaTeX and don't need any special
formatting inside the pieces needing a special font you can just
put the prerequisite LaTeX commands and environments in your
Markdown source. However if you use XeLaTeX and fontspec but not
polyglossia be aware that you have to wrap your font change
commands in commands with arguments:

     \newfontfamily\greekfont[Script=Greek]{GFS Neohellenic}
     \newcommand{\Greek}[1]{{\greekfont #1}} % Note the double braces!

If you are producing LaTeX and want to use Markdown formatting
inside your special-font text, or want to produce both LaTeX and
HTML from the same source you can use my pandoc filter at

<https://github.com/bpj/bpj-pandoc-scripts/raw/master/scripts/pandoc-span2cmd.pl>

You can read the documentation at

<https://github.com/bpj/bpj-pandoc-scripts/wiki/pandoc-span2cmd_pl>

You need perl to run this filter.  If you are on Windows and don't
have perl installed, or need help with installing prerequisites
you can find links to download and installation instructions (it
isn't hard at all! :-) in the documentation:

<https://github.com/bpj/bpj-pandoc-scripts/wiki/pandoc-span2cmd_pl#prerequisites>

If you target other formats please tell us which and hopefully
someone can help you.

/bpj

@ 2015-02-03 19:46   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-02-03 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/03/2015 08:29 AM, Mycroft Jones wrote:
> I write documents that are mostly English, but that include Greek and
> Hebrew quotations.  Since pandoc is UTF-8, that shouldn't be a problem.
> For the Hebrew, I sometimes want to use a paleoHebrew font.  How can I
> tell pandoc to use a specific truetype font for a specific range of
> Unicode code points?  Specifically, tell it that Hebrew characters
> should be rendered with myPhoenicianHebrewFont.ttf

Hi Mycroft,

could you give a more detailed description of what you intend?

Using XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX might help you to get a fallback font for
Greek and Hebrew in LaTeX. If I’m not wrong, this is what you are trying
to do.

But there is another issue, that you cannot solve without marking
language in spans and and divisions: hyphenation.

Leaving Hebrew aside (I don’t know how it is hyphenated), English
hyphenation patterns won’t work with Greek words. At least, it wasn’t
possible with LaTeX some time ago.

Knowing which are your target outputs will help to provide more proper
advice.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2015-02-04  0:19       ` DJ W
       [not found]         ` <CA+nD0m5XHgDEbBwG-ySWkVUUT9cnUjDXC50keg6tra95mxswXQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: DJ W @ 2015-02-04  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you for that perl script, I will try it.  To answer you and Pablo: I
am wanting to output HTML and PDF.  So your script looks like the right
thing.  I will report my results here in this thread.

Mycroft

@ 2015-02-04  5:09           ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]             ` <54D1A98D.2010508-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-02-04  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/04/2015 01:19 AM, DJ W wrote:
> Thank you for that perl script, I will try it.  To answer you and Pablo:
> I am wanting to output HTML and PDF.  So your script looks like the
> right thing.  I will report my results here in this thread.

At least in ConTeXt (but I guess you use LaTeX), it is possible to load
more than one hyphenation pattern in a language. So you can have an
English text with Greek and Hebrew (although I don’t know how Hebrew
hyphenation works) passages without having to mark those Greek and
Hebrew passages.

A minimal sample in ConTeXt (it should work with TeX Live 2014 [invoking
"context filename.tex]):

    \setuplanguage[en][patterns={en, agr}]
    \mainlanguage[en]
    \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][FreeSerif]
    \setupbodyfont[mainface]
    \starttext
    \hsize\zeropoint
    legible χαλεπα {\agr χαλεπα}
    \stoptext

BTW, this works, because you only have single hyphenation patterns for
each script.

The difference in hyphenation from marked and unmarked Greek is not due
to the patterns, but to the minimal number of characters after the
hyphen in English (three, afaIk).

Defining fallback fonts both in ConTeXt or in LaTeX should be an easy task.

Language tagging in HTML would be only useful to automatically hyphenate
words. But unless you are able to provide the hyphenation dictionaries
for classical Hebrew and ancient Greek (which might not work in many
browsers), you can safely ignore language tagging in your Markdown
documents and use a font that has all glyphs defined (such as FreeSerif
[https://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/]).

I hope this might help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2015-02-04  7:23               ` Mycroft Jones
       [not found]                 ` <CA+nD0m4RmDHWDiTjBF5up9gsAGiRY1kxUspxLJkuKPEHVwOBDg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Mycroft Jones @ 2015-02-04  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pablo, I'd prefer ConTeXt output to LaTeX.  I'm not sure why LaTeX to PDF
is the default.  Once it is in ConTeXt format, it is easy to make a PDF,
right?

So actually, what I would most prefer, is HTML output, and ConTeXt output.
I'm really not a fan of LaTeX.

Is there a perl script or other solution so I can do mixed English Hebrew
Greek in pandoc, with HTML and ConTeXt output?

Mycroft

@ 2015-02-04  7:28                   ` Mycroft Jones
       [not found]                     ` <CA+nD0m5qvgwpB=mrG2tW1qXZiT2xPR_+Q+HwCfN38UD4ATg-ag-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Mycroft Jones @ 2015-02-04  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pablo, in your ConTeXt example above, what if the desired font is in the
file "myGreekFont.ttf", how do I incorporate that?

I was formerly using DocBook, but I find XSLT and all the other XML stuff
so baroque, it gives me a headache.  Something simple like using a specific
font file shouldn't be so hard that I can't figure it out after hours of
reading the online manuals and documentation.

That is why I'm hoping PanDoc is the answer.  Instead of rolling my own
custom one-off HTML+ConTeXt generator.  Because then I would still have to
learn ConTeXt, which is a time investment I can't make at the moment.  With
LaTeX, I pretty quickly got to a point that I realized, unless I read the
WEB source code, I'm screwed for the types of custom things I want to do.

I am looking seriously at pandoc because of the high praise that Eric
Raymond gave it, even recommending that it replace the GNU "info" format.

Mycroft

@ 2015-02-04 17:46                   ` BPJ
       [not found]                     ` <CADAJKhDjgtrA5i77wj=1_FgWbEHkN7B+D2Z+PROcZbK8sLAGmg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2015-02-04 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Perhaps someone who is more familiar with ConTeXt than I am would be
willing to provide a patch or pull request or some guidance so that I can
add support for ConTeXt  to my filter. I would like to learn ConTeXt  but I
don't have the time to tackle that at present. For my part I'm
fundamentally uncomfortable with both TeX and HTML markup and with WYSIWYG
-- that's why I love pandoc! -- but use them out of necessity. It might
well be trivial to add ConTeXt support once I learn the syntax of the
ConTeXt equivalent of a LaTeX environment!

@ 2015-02-05 16:20                   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-02-05 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/04/2015 08:23 AM, Mycroft Jones wrote:
> Pablo, I'd prefer ConTeXt output to LaTeX.  I'm not sure why LaTeX to
> PDF is the default.  Once it is in ConTeXt format, it is easy to make a
> PDF, right?
>
> So actually, what I would most prefer, is HTML output, and ConTeXt
> output.  I'm really not a fan of LaTeX.
>
> Is there a perl script or other solution so I can do mixed English
> Hebrew Greek in pandoc, with HTML and ConTeXt output?

Mycroft,

sorry for the late reply.

LaTeX is the default in for PDF in pandoc, because it is more widely used.

The good news in ConTeXt is that you can copile XML code directly into
PDF. This is done through an environment.

So, unless you are a fan of Perl, ConTeXt deals with XML directly
(http://pragma-ade.com/show-man-44.htm).

I’m working on an environment for pandoc-xhtml at
http://www.context-environments.tk. I have some details that need
polishing and the minimal documentation is still to be written.

I have typeset a full book with that method: this is the real one source
that rules them all ;-).

Two minor issues (but this is markdown and pandoc internal document
model [not ConTeXt in any way]) are: that language hasn’t an special
attribute and needs extra tagging
(https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/895), and that there isn’t a
special syntax for divisions and spans
(https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/pull/1791).

BTW, could you post a minimal sample to the list that shows the language
mixture? It would be important that (if classical Hebrew has something
similar to hyphenation) the sample had Hebrew words containing potential
hyphenation points.

Sorry for the cryptic reference to the way ConTeXt deals with XML, but
my pandoc-xhtml environment is on its way.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2015-02-05 17:29                       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-02-05 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/04/2015 08:28 AM, Mycroft Jones wrote:
> Pablo, in your ConTeXt example above, what if the desired font is in the
> file "myGreekFont.ttf", how do I incorporate that?

Mycroft,

the right way is:

    \setuplanguage[en][patterns={en, agr}]
    \mainlanguage[en]
    \definefallbackfamily[mainface][rm][][tf={file:myGreekFont.ttf},
        preset=range:greek] % <- this is the novelty
    \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][FreeSerif]
    \setupbodyfont[mainface]
    \starttext
    \hsize\zeropoint
    legible χαλεπα {\agr χαλεπα}
    \stoptext

Please, don’t forget the following issues:

1. A \definefallbackfamily should be *always placed before* the
\definefontfamily it modifies.

2. hebrew is a different range for fallback fonts. Each range requires
its own \definefallbackfamily.

3. Invoking font files by its name is the safest way to avoid issues in
font naming. But it is also the most difficult to implement.

Fonts aren’t typefaces or font families. Garamond italic and bold are
two fonts, but only a typeface (or font family).

Even if your Greek typeface has no other font than the regular one,
invoking it by the system name (the name you’d select in a word
processor). This makes the line above shorter (of course, I’m faking the
name):

    \definefallbackfamily[mainface][rm][GreeekFont][preset=range:greek]

> I was formerly using DocBook, but I find XSLT and all the other XML
> stuff so baroque, it gives me a headache.  Something simple like using a
> specific font file shouldn't be so hard that I can't figure it out after
> hours of reading the online manuals and documentation.

XML is the way, but it is also the hard way.

DocBook for technical documents that mix ancient Greek and classical
Hebrew? Well, I guess this is something related to the humanities.

In that case TEI would have been the XML (http://www.tei-c.org/). TEI is
DocBook for the humanities (let’s put it that way). Or what am I missing
here?

> That is why I'm hoping PanDoc is the answer.  Instead of rolling my own
> custom one-off HTML+ConTeXt generator.  Because then I would still have
> to learn ConTeXt, which is a time investment I can't make at the
> moment.  With LaTeX, I pretty quickly got to a point that I realized,
> unless I read the WEB source code, I'm screwed for the types of custom
> things I want to do.

Well, using ConTeXt with XML is (I guess) something easier than ConTeXt
itself.

pandoc may be the answer, but it entirely depends on your question. I
wonder what do you expect from LaTeX when you need to read the WEB
source code.

pandoc isn’t the right tool to typeset a critical edition. TEI would be
the right thing to use in that case.

Which kind of features do you need for your things you want to do?

> I am looking seriously at pandoc because of the high praise that Eric
> Raymond gave it, even recommending that it replace the GNU "info" format.

As written in my previous reply, there are two features that would help
a lot in these documents.

But first they need to be discussed. And then they need to be implemented.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2015-02-05 17:50                       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-02-05 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/04/2015 06:46 PM, BPJ wrote:
> Perhaps someone who is more familiar with ConTeXt than I am would be
> willing to provide a patch or pull request or some guidance so that I
> can add support for ConTeXt to my filter. I would like to learn
> ConTeXt but I don't have the time to tackle that at present. For my
> part I'm fundamentally uncomfortable with both TeX and HTML markup and
> with WYSIWYG -- that's why I love pandoc! -- but use them out of
> necessity. It might well be trivial to add ConTeXt support once I learn
> the syntax of the ConTeXt equivalent of a LaTeX environment!

Hi BPJ,

I’m somehow familiar with ConTeXt.

I thought of adapting the LaTeX reader to ConTeXt. But after having used
ConTeXt to deal with XML natively, I think XHTML is the one and only way
to typeset pandoc documents in ConTeXt.

mardown is great, but it is only a source format. When the output is
TeX, this is a new source format again that needs compilation. And
unless you can tweak the source, you will only have a single layout for
all your documents.

Your filters are a great idea, but I guess we need proper syntax for
divs and spans in extended markdown.

And we also need the ability to add attributes (identifiers, classes and
languages) to each element in markdown. But this needs to be implemented
in pandoc’s internal document model first.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo

PS: I opened an issue at your GitHub repo to talk about environments in
ConTeXt.
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2015-02-20 18:32                       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-02-20 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/04/2015 08:28 AM, Mycroft Jones wrote:
> [...]
> I am looking seriously at pandoc because of the high praise that Eric
> Raymond gave it, even recommending that it replace the GNU "info" format.

Hi Mycroft and BPJ,

just a comment on this issue. There is an specific issue at GitHub
(https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/895).

Mixing languages requires a proper sytanx for the language attribute.

Could you comment at the GH issue, so that the demand for it is visible?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk