* pandoc logo
@ 2016-12-08  4:40 Kolen Cheung
       [not found] ` <9dc55985-e618-441b-8952-e11a73b1e901-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
       [not found] ` <Hmsn1u00i44UKy901msnXz>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-12-08  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Probably pandoc don't have a logo yet?

I am thinking about designing a pandoc logo. The idea I have is basically
`pd`, the initial of pandoc, where `p` and `d` are symmetric. I am thinking
about finding a good open source font, and the final product should be in
svg.

The rest is uncertain, I think there should be an emphasis on simplicity,
so probably not a lot of colors or shapes. May be making it looks like a
badge often uses in GitHub?

I don't have a lot of design background though. So if there's any designer
like the idea, please let me know.

And will @jgm like to use it if such logo exists?

* Re: pandoc logo
       [not found] ` <9dc55985-e618-441b-8952-e11a73b1e901-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-08  7:50   ` Kolen Cheung
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-12-08  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I got a concept like this:

[image: pd]

The axe is like Swiss Arm Knife on steroid, which looks like the alphabets
Pd, stands for pandoc. It is just a concept though.
​

* Re: pandoc logo
       [not found] ` <9dc55985-e618-441b-8952-e11a73b1e901-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-08 10:35   ` Mohammad Haris Minai
From: Mohammad Haris Minai @ 2016-12-08 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

How is this? A PD but flexible.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mFrpV2Pn3bU/WEk3f2SqzXI/AAAAAAAAMyI/kk_WM_OLlLARIktJ_X_D55zTQL9gJdIqQCLcB/s1600/pandoc_logo.png>

@ 2016-12-08 10:45   ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]     ` <158e054c-b198-4d03-a1c8-cfdaacd9815e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-12-08 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It's weird! Albert emailed a link to me by replying to this thread, but his
message won't show up on this web interface!

And then his link doesn't work (but the link looks normal to me).

I think he refer to this thread: [RFC: Designing Logo of Pandoc - Google
Groups](https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/pandoc-discuss/logo%7Csort:relevance/pandoc-discuss/1bKIuyBnWaQ/xorl7JGXDQAJ).

I kind of hate Google Groups...

Anyway, I don't know why I have missed that thread when I talk about pandoc
Logo. Probably it should goes there.

* Re: pandoc logo
       [not found]     ` <158e054c-b198-4d03-a1c8-cfdaacd9815e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-08 18:58       ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]         ` <8e0e3292-6ea7-17fd-f47b-4803375803b3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-12-08 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Den 2016-12-08 kl. 11:45, skrev Kolen Cheung:
> I kind of hate Google Groups...

Then use the email interface! :-)

* Re: pandoc logo
       [not found]         ` <8e0e3292-6ea7-17fd-f47b-4803375803b3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-08 20:08           ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2016-12-08 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

BP Jonsson <bpjonsson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Den 2016-12-08 kl. 11:45, skrev Kolen Cheung:
>> I kind of hate Google Groups...
>
> Then use the email interface! :-)

It was a mistake on my part, but it was the mail interface that lead to
this: I used the wrong mail address in the "from" header, so google
bounced my message.

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: pandoc logo
       [not found]         ` <8e0e3292-6ea7-17fd-f47b-4803375803b3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-08 22:35           ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-12-08 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It’s exactly the email interface causes problems… I googled that before,
but Google doesn’t provide an app for Google Groups. Right now I used the
old trick to turn Google Groups into RSS/Atom feed. But that’s read only.

I tried to use the email interface before, but it is so inconsistent that I
can’t rely on it, so mentally I will almost always force myself to the
web-interface to type/reply anything. (Not to mention the email interface
don’t support Markdown. The web-interface doesn’t either, but there’s
Markdown-here. Depending on the content, if it involves links, I think a
rendered Markdown is much easier to read.)

But then when I got emails from Google Groups, it is very difficult to get
back to a web-interface. Some emails don’t have that link, and for those
that have, the links are hidden. So you have to go back to an earlier email
and press the ... to show the links. Then there’s a bunch of links closely
packed, you just have to click the right one.

Then there’s also the wrong link issue. It’s not the first time people
posted a link to a certain thread, but when clicked through it isn’t that
thread.

I had complained about this before in This group “pandoc-discuss” deserve a
better spot?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pandoc-discuss/yLifphSoVLY> (I
hope this link goes through!). I kind of feel guilty of it though, because
people kind of feel it in a hostile way; and because for a while, googling
“pandoc-discuss” returns that page first (at least for me) which is not the
intension…

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 10:58:34 AM UTC-8, BP Jonsson wrote:

Den 2016-12-08 kl. 11:45, skrev Kolen Cheung:
> > I kind of hate Google Groups...
>
> Then use the email interface! :-)

​

* Re: pandoc logo
       [not found] ` <9dc55985-e618-441b-8952-e11a73b1e901-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-12-09 10:52   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-12-09 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm not much of an artist, but here's a rough sketch of
a concept that I find somewhat promising:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1q_3-CGjsYk5Y1IGhlbFtIhrPA9pnYreDPQSuC4hM-SY/edit

Central element is the ∀, but the two sides become the sides
of two documents (printed pages).  One thing I like about
this is that you get visually the idea of "linking" two
documents, even if you don't get the reference to ∀.

Of course this looks terrible, but perhaps someone more
artistic could do better.

* Re: pandoc logo
       [not found] ` <Hmsn1u00i44UKy901msnXz>
@ 2016-12-09 17:59   ` John Velman
       [not found]     ` <54F0DF62-4030-4030-91A4-56B09861B556-j9pdmedNgrk@public.gmane.org>
From: John Velman @ 2016-12-09 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I like this concept. I like using the "for all" symbol, and the linked documents. It tells the story. Unfortunately I'm not very artistic either.

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 9, 2016, at 2:52 AM, John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> I'm not much of an artist, but here's a rough sketch of
> a concept that I find somewhat promising:
>
> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1q_3-CGjsYk5Y1IGhlbFtIhrPA9pnYreDPQSuC4hM-SY/edit
>
> Central element is the ∀, but the two sides become the sides
> of two documents (printed pages).  One thing I like about
> this is that you get visually the idea of "linking" two
> documents, even if you don't get the reference to ∀.
>
> Of course this looks terrible, but perhaps someone more
> artistic could do better.
>

> --

* Re: pandoc logo
       [not found]     ` <54F0DF62-4030-4030-91A4-56B09861B556-j9pdmedNgrk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-09 18:46       ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]         ` <2e881ccb-90a2-d218-6e6c-52f2481d2b21-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2016-12-09 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I prefer simple and bold with Pandoc in text to it if need be. (Like OSI or creative commons.)

Consider these nice corporate logos of conversion software:

https://www.freepdfconvert.com/content/logo-large.png

https://logopond.com/logos/f481f15d88a5c57b048ef8172dd36d92.png

I see a number of nice logos here that are supposedly free:

http://www.logodust.com/

* Re: pandoc logo
       [not found]         ` <2e881ccb-90a2-d218-6e6c-52f2481d2b21-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-10  2:13           ` Kolen Cheung