* Windows 64bit binaries?
@ 2015-03-04 19:17 Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found] ` <54F75A39.7050005-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-03-04 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John,

just out of curiosity, do you plan to release 64bit binaries for Windows
in newer versions?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Windows 64bit binaries?
       [not found] ` <54F75A39.7050005-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-05  0:22   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150305002214.GD11269-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-03-05  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

No.  It's too much work to try to build two binaries, so I just do 32 bit binaries for maximum portability.  I figure some people still use 32-bit machines (I do), but if that's not true I could revisit.

+++ Pablo Rodríguez [Mar 04 15 20:17 ]:
>John,
>
>just out of curiosity, do you plan to release 64bit binaries for Windows
>in newer versions?
>
>Many thanks for your help,
>

>Pablo
>--
>http://www.ousia.tk
>
>--

* Re: Windows 64bit binaries?
       [not found]     ` <20150305002214.GD11269-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-05  2:53       ` dmccunney
       [not found]         ` <CAF4AJDxBsLc8zofR5xkGrxe4UnjJBTpxVpGjTxicbsm5ssOMHg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: dmccunney @ 2015-03-05  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 7:22 PM, John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> No.  It's too much work to try to build two binaries, so I just do 32 bit
> binaries for maximum portability.  I figure some people still use 32-bit
> machines (I do), but if that's not true I could revisit.

I run a 64 bit machine, but don't generally fuss over 64 bit
applications.  The advantage to a 64 bit build is the ability to use
vastly larger address space.  I get 64 bit versions if they are
available, but don't normally care if not.

Has anyone reported Pandoc bumping into limits because it needs a
bigger address space than a 32 bit binary can use?  I'd be a bit
surprised.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

* Re: Windows 64bit binaries?
       [not found]     ` <20150305002214.GD11269-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-07  7:43       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-03-07  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/05/2015 01:22 AM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> No. It's too much work to try to build two binaries, so I just do 32
> bit binaries for maximum portability. I figure some people still use
> 32-bit machines (I do), but if that's not true I could revisit.

Many thanks for the reply, John.

I thought that the 64bit build could be automated easily besides the
32bit build.

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Windows 64bit binaries?
       [not found]         ` <CAF4AJDxBsLc8zofR5xkGrxe4UnjJBTpxVpGjTxicbsm5ssOMHg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-07  7:50           ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-03-07  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/05/2015 03:53 AM, dmccunney wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 7:22 PM, John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> No.  It's too much work to try to build two binaries, so I just do 32 bit
>> binaries for maximum portability.  I figure some people still use 32-bit
>> machines (I do), but if that's not true I could revisit.
>
> I run a 64 bit machine, but don't generally fuss over 64 bit
> applications.  The advantage to a 64 bit build is the ability to use
> vastly larger address space.  I get 64 bit versions if they are
> available, but don't normally care if not.
>
> Has anyone reported Pandoc bumping into limits because it needs a
> bigger address space than a 32 bit binary can use?  I'd be a bit
> surprised.

Many thanks for your reply, Dennis.

I just thought a 64bit Windows build would be faster.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk