* pandoc x10 slower in the first run
@ 2015-03-12 17:31 Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found] ` <5501CD58.5080607-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-03-12 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear list,

I don’t know why, but when I run pandoc the first time after starting
the computer it is ten times slower than after this first run.

Of course, I’m compiling the same Markdown source to ePub (with the same
pandoc binary).

Just out of curiosity, why is this first run ten times slower?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: pandoc x10 slower in the first run
       [not found] ` <5501CD58.5080607-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-12 18:18   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150312181807.GA17821-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-03-12 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Pablo Rodríguez [Mar 12 15 18:31 ]:
>Dear list,
>
>I don’t know why, but when I run pandoc the first time after starting
>the computer it is ten times slower than after this first run.
>
>Of course, I’m compiling the same Markdown source to ePub (with the same
>pandoc binary).
>
>Just out of curiosity, why is this first run ten times slower?

Probably because the first time the executable has to be
loaded from disk, and the second time it is cached.

@ 2015-03-14 10:21       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-03-14 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/12/2015 07:18 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> +++ Pablo Rodríguez [Mar 12 15 18:31 ]:
>> [...]
>> Just out of curiosity, why is this first run ten times slower?
>
> Probably because the first time the executable has to be
> loaded from disk, and the second time it is cached.

Many thanks for your reply, John.

Now I understand why pandoc is faster after the first run.

Best,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk