* org-mode and ditaa
@ 2015-05-18 21:35 Sam Halliday
       [not found] ` <8c584112-786d-4011-b64d-d088c9a7149d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-05-18 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all,

I'm like to include a ditaa diagram in my org-mode file, which I intend to
convert to a presentation with pandoc.

e.g. I'd like to include

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-ditaa.html

but it appears that pandoc does not call the ditaa command line tool when
parsing the file, so I have to manually generate the image.

Also, pandoc doesn't seem to hide the source code. The behaviour is
supposed to be to not output the source code, but to show the rendered link.

Is anybody successfully using pandoc to render org-mode ditaa diagrams?

Best regards,
Sam

* Re: org-mode and ditaa
       [not found] ` <8c584112-786d-4011-b64d-d088c9a7149d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-19 16:53   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150519165308.GD40922-0VdLhd/A9Pm0ooXD8Eul3dR5epUeo1x3TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-19 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The org reader won't do this (in fact it won't do any IO).
But it will parse an org ditaa block into a pandoc structure like
this:

    CodeBlock ("",["ditaa","rundoc-block"],[("rundoc-language","ditaa"),("rundoc-file","images/hello-world.png")]) "+--------------+\n|              |\n| Hello World! |\n|              |\n+--------------+\n"

All you have to do is write a pandoc filter to find such blocks, run their
contents through ditaa, and replace them with an image.

This would be very similar to the graphviz filter in the pandocfilters
examples directory:
https://github.com/jgm/pandocfilters/blob/master/examples/graphviz.py

See "Scripting with pandoc" on the pandoc website for an introduction
to filters.

+++ Sam Halliday [May 18 15 14:35 ]:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm like to include a ditaa diagram in my org-mode file, which I intend to
>convert to a presentation with pandoc.
>
>e.g. I'd like to include
>
>  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-ditaa.html
>
>but it appears that pandoc does not call the ditaa command line tool when
>parsing the file, so I have to manually generate the image.
>
>Also, pandoc doesn't seem to hide the source code. The behaviour is
>supposed to be to not output the source code, but to show the rendered link.
>
>Is anybody successfully using pandoc to render org-mode ditaa diagrams?
>
>Best regards,
>Sam
>
>--

* Re: org-mode and ditaa
       [not found]     ` <20150519165308.GD40922-0VdLhd/A9Pm0ooXD8Eul3dR5epUeo1x3TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-19 16:56       ` Sam Halliday
       [not found]         ` <b713ec31-c6bc-4c81-abb7-7aa67ffc126a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-05-19 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks John,

What about the ability to hide the src block? In emacs org-mode the
"BEGIN_SRC ditaa" block is hidden and only the "RESULTS" are shown. Is
there any way to do this without writing a filter?

As a workaround, I'm ok using emacs to generate the images from the src
blocks, but I'll look into how the filters work for future reference.

Best regards,
Sam

On Tuesday, 19 May 2015 17:53:22 UTC+1, John MacFarlane wrote:

> The org reader won't do this (in fact it won't do any IO).
> But it will parse an org ditaa block into a pandoc structure like
> this:
>
>     CodeBlock
> ("",["ditaa","rundoc-block"],[("rundoc-language","ditaa"),("rundoc-file","images/hello-world.png")])
> "+--------------+\n|              |\n| Hello World! |\n|
>  |\n+--------------+\n"
>
> All you have to do is write a pandoc filter to find such blocks, run their
> contents through ditaa, and replace them with an image.
>
> This would be very similar to the graphviz filter in the pandocfilters
> examples directory:
> https://github.com/jgm/pandocfilters/blob/master/examples/graphviz.py
>
> See "Scripting with pandoc" on the pandoc website for an introduction
> to filters.
>
> +++ Sam Halliday [May 18 15 14:35 ]:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'm like to include a ditaa diagram in my org-mode file, which I intend
> >convert to a presentation with pandoc.
> >
> >e.g. I'd like to include
> >
> >  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-ditaa.html
> >
> >but it appears that pandoc does not call the ditaa command line tool when
> >parsing the file, so I have to manually generate the image.
> >
> >Also, pandoc doesn't seem to hide the source code. The behaviour is
> >supposed to be to not output the source code, but to show the rendered
> link.
> >
> >Is anybody successfully using pandoc to render org-mode ditaa diagrams?
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Sam
> >
> >--
> <javascript:>.
> >To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/8c584112-786d-4011-b64d-d088c9a7149d%40googlegroups.com.

* Re: org-mode and ditaa
       [not found]         ` <b713ec31-c6bc-4c81-abb7-7aa67ffc126a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-19 23:58           ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]             ` <87fv6sf7bs.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2015-05-19 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tue, May 19 2015, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> What about the ability to hide the src block? In emacs org-mode the
> "BEGIN_SRC ditaa" block is hidden and only the "RESULTS" are shown. Is
> there any way to do this without writing a filter?

You mean when you're writing your source Markdown text in Emacs? That
would then be something for Emacs to handle, not Pandoc. I would love to
add some functionality like this to pandoc-mode, but I don't really have
the time right now...

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: org-mode and ditaa
       [not found]         ` <b713ec31-c6bc-4c81-abb7-7aa67ffc126a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-20  5:22           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-20  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Sam Halliday [May 19 15 09:56 ]:
>Thanks John,
>
>What about the ability to hide the src block? In emacs org-mode the
>"BEGIN_SRC ditaa" block is hidden and only the "RESULTS" are shown. Is
>there any way to do this without writing a filter?

For HTML output, you could use CSS to hide the whole pre element.
Otherwise, no, you need to use filters.

* Re: org-mode and ditaa
       [not found]             ` <87fv6sf7bs.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-20  6:31               ` Sam Halliday
       [not found]                 ` <CALR_T9BL8jgxfR-hB4FFB0yHtMfCvY400PywMAJNFSESuPFEVQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-05-20  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 20 May 2015 00:58, "Joost Kremers" <joostkremers-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 19 2015, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > What about the ability to hide the src block? In emacs org-mode the
> > "BEGIN_SRC ditaa" block is hidden and only the "RESULTS" are shown. Is
> > there any way to do this without writing a filter?
>
> You mean when you're writing your source Markdown text in Emacs? That
> would then be something for Emacs to handle, not Pandoc. I would love to
> add some functionality like this to pandoc-mode, but I don't really have
> the time right now...

I am writing org-mode docs in emacs, not markdown.

When defining a ditaa source block, I can indeed use Emacs the generate the
image from it. But then there are two sections : a SRC block and an OUTPUT.
Emacs generating HTML from the org-mode would ignore the src block, but I
don't have any way of telling pandoc to ignore it. (I presume the graphviz
generator has a similar problem.)

There is a way of indicating in org-mode what the SRC/OUTPUT strategy would
be, but this is ignored by pandoc.

> --
> Joost Kremers
> Life has its moments
>
> --
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/87fv6sf7bs.fsf%40fastmail.fm
.

* Re: org-mode and ditaa
@ 2015-05-20 10:26                   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2015-05-20 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Wed, May 20 2015, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 20 May 2015 00:58, "Joost Kremers" <joostkremers-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, May 19 2015, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > What about the ability to hide the src block? In emacs org-mode the
>> > "BEGIN_SRC ditaa" block is hidden and only the "RESULTS" are shown. Is
>> > there any way to do this without writing a filter?
>>
>> You mean when you're writing your source Markdown text in Emacs? That
>> would then be something for Emacs to handle, not Pandoc. I would love to
>> add some functionality like this to pandoc-mode, but I don't really have
>> the time right now...
>>

> I am writing org-mode docs in emacs, not markdown.

Sorry, I misread your post. Please kindly ignore mine... :-)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: org-mode and ditaa
       [not found] ` <8c584112-786d-4011-b64d-d088c9a7149d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-06-30 21:51   ` Erik Hetzner
From: Erik Hetzner @ 2015-06-30 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: public-pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw-wOFGN7rlS/M9smdsby/KFg
  Cc: Sam Halliday

On Mon, 18 May 2015 14:35:51 -0700,
Sam Halliday <sam.halliday-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm like to include a ditaa diagram in my org-mode file, which I intend to
> convert to a presentation with pandoc.
>
> e.g. I'd like to include
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-ditaa.html
>
> but it appears that pandoc does not call the ditaa command line tool when
> parsing the file, so I have to manually generate the image.
>
> Also, pandoc doesn't seem to hide the source code. The behaviour is
> supposed to be to not output the source code, but to show the rendered link.
>
> Is anybody successfully using pandoc to render org-mode ditaa diagrams?

Hi Sam,

I doubt that pandoc will ever support babel, generally. But you might
find success with the path org-mode -> export to org-mode -> pandoc ->
html, etc.

Have you tried using the ox-pandoc package? This speeds up the
process. It is installable via MELPA.

This works for me, and does not display the source in the exported
HTML:

* ditaa
Hello world

#+BEGIN_SRC ditaa :file images/hello-world.png
| Hello World! |
#+END_SRC

Export with ox-pandoc, html5 format `C-c C-e p h`

best, Erik