From: BP Jonsson <bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Specifying location of bibliography in document
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 12:35:45 +0200	[thread overview]

Den 2015-09-01 kl. 20:00, skrev Pablo Rodríguez:
> On 09/01/2015 09:18 AM, BP Jonsson wrote:
>> @Pablo In my experience there are people who are comfortable with
>> WYSIWYG and people who are not. The latter grasp markdown immediately,
>> while the former are as annoyed by markup as the latter are by WYSIWYG.
>
> Many thanks for your reply, BP.
>
> My scenario is different: I want a common source to generate ePub and
> PDF files. The source would be common to me and the author of the text.

It is certainly the case for me too, some of the time: documents
which should work both as PDF and HTML, but I use pandoc also when
I only target PDF or doc(x)/odt.

> In my experience, people understand lighthweight far better than XML markup.

Certainly.  It is far easier to read, and I do think that it is
easier to grasp the difference between different elements.  In *ML
all markup looks the same, which doesn't help to see the big picture.

> And even ignoring that, if Markdown is lightweight markup, it should
> avoid any XML syntax by definition.

Agreed, but I will rather have generic containers in their present
form rather than not at all! FWIW I started working on a filter
which lets you overload link markup for spans.  It looks for
'links' having an 'url' that is a period followed by ASCII
letters, digits and underscores likethe current class markup and
converts that into a span.  You can also specify further
attributes or raw markup for spans -- including real spans -- with
a given class, or inject raw markup for any format.
I'm swamped in work ATM but will finish it as and when I'm not.

Den 2015-09-01 kl. 19:55, skrev Pablo Rodríguez:
 > On 08/31/2015 09:29 PM, Daniel Staal wrote:
 >> >--As of August 31, 2015 8:12:10 PM +0200, Pablo Rodríguez is
alleged to

to anyone. I

 >> >Probably true.  There are Markdown editors that aim for that
market, but
 >> >pandoc isn't an editor.  It's a converter.  The editors give
you a nice
 >> >WYSWYG interface, or at least something close, and give easy
shortcuts to
 >> >common markup.
 > Many thanks for your reply, Daniel.
 >
 > The problem with visual editors is that users many not know
what they
 > are actually doing.
 >
 > In that case, I think there is no gain in using pandoc.

I think there is. I have converted (no pun intended!) at least one
of my authors to Markdown/pandoc, and his documents have become
much easier to work with not only because they're Markdown when I
get them.
WYSIWYG word processors promote non-semantic markup[^1]). Consider
how most WP users indicate a heading: they highlight the text of a
paragraph and make it 18pt bold rather than applying the named
styles which the WP usually provides.

Even so the XHTML exported by LibreOffice (I won't even consider
MS products!) is stupid evil and wrong: all styles, both automatic
and named are converted into so many `<p>` and `<span>` elements
with CSS styles applied to classes named either automatically
random, or after the named styles with an absolutely stupid
conversion scheme where spaces become `_20_` because SPACE is at
code/char point `\x20`! I've even had to write my own program to
clean up that mess as automatically as possible[^2].
In a way generic HTML containers (span and div) were a leap
backwards because they made possible almost entirely unsemantic
HTML, worse than what we had when people used i and b rather than
em and strong (that conversion is a no-brainer compared to what I
need to do with the LO XHTML, which is technically compliant but
junk all the same!

With Markdown anyone uses semantic markup even if they are not
aware of doing so, and with Pandoc the markup of the converted
*ML/*TeX/whatever becomes equally semantic.
Admittedly authors not only make human editors' lives difficult,
but also possible, but getting people to effortlessly apply
semantic markup[^3] would make the lives of editors and teachers
much easier, and save a lot of other resources as well.

Den 2015-09-01 kl. 21:31, skrev Daniel Staal:
 > Well, first off, they aren't really titles. They are *headings.*

I think we have a translation issue here. 'Heading' is derived
from Latin _titulus_ in Romance languages.

/bpj

[^1]: Somewhere in there there is markup in one form or another,
nowadays usually XML, which looks absolutely horrible if you
unpack those masqueraded zip archives and look at it!

[^2]: https://github.com/bpj/change-html-attrs

[^3]: That *could* certainly be done in a 'WYSIWYG' WP if the
size- and font-changing commands were hidden away three menus deep
and the toolbars contained buttons for ordinary/strong emphasis,
major/medium/minor heading, fixed-width, link and nothing more,
and a carriage return automatically inserting a skip! I've
actually considered creating a LibreOffice so customized as far as
possible for distribution to elementary level students. It
wouldn't surprise me if it already exists!

--
This email was composed using Vim!