* changes in HTML and Slidy templates
@ 2016-11-09 15:51 Matthias Hüning
       [not found] ` <5a35502b-7dfa-4e5c-b674-860de82cf8e0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthias Hüning @ 2016-11-09 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,
I noticed some changes in HTML en Slidy conversion in Pandoc

HTML, EPUB, slidy, revealjs templates: Use <p> instead of <h1> for
> subtitle, author, date (#3119 <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/3119>).
> Note that, as a result of this change, authors may need to update CSS.

This seems to be true for html, but not for slidy, where subtitle still is
<h1>.

And it looks like there have been other changes.
In Slidy, I now get <h2> for slide titles instead of <h1>, isn't it?

<h2>xxx</h2>

Are there more changes I have to consider while updating my CSS-files??

- Matthias

* Re: changes in HTML and Slidy templates
       [not found] ` <5a35502b-7dfa-4e5c-b674-860de82cf8e0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-11-09 17:04   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20161109170402.GC5951-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-09 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Matthias Hüning [Nov 09 16 07:51 ]:
>   Hello,
>   I noticed some changes in HTML en Slidy conversion in Pandoc
>
>     HTML, EPUB, slidy, revealjs templates: Use <p> instead of <h1> for
>     subtitle, author, date ([1]#3119). Note that, as a result of this
>     change, authors may need to update CSS.
>
>   This seems to be true for html, but not for slidy, where subtitle still
>   is <h1>.

Are you perhaps using an older version of the template?
(Maybe you have one in ~/.pandoc/templates?)  Template has:

$if(subtitle)$
$endif$

>   In Slidy, I now get <h2> for slide titles instead of <h1>, isn't it?
><h2>xxx</h2>

That's this item in the changelog:

    + In slide shows, don't change slide title to level 1 header (#2221).

You used level 2 headers in your source file, I assume?

@ 2016-11-09 17:28       ` Matthias Hüning
From: Matthias Hüning @ 2016-11-09 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks, John!
Yes, you are right, I had an older version of the template.
Adopted the change and also changed my CSS for h1 becoming h2 (or better:
h2 remaining h2).
Seems to work again.

- Matthias

@ 2016-11-10  9:55       ` Matthias Hüning
       [not found]         ` <a665478a-627e-4535-bf4f-589aa2f59017-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthias Hüning @ 2016-11-10  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi John,
I now read issue #2221 because I wanted to understand why you made this
change. I saw your comment:

2) The proposed change might break some current workflows. For example, I'm
> accustomed to having the slide headings of my pandoc-generated reveal.js
> slides be h1s, and my CSS assumes that. Presumably there are others like
> me. Breaking changes like this should not be made lightly.

While I can see the motivation for this change, I still want to let you
know that I share your concerns. Breaking changes can cause a lot of
problems. In this case the change broke my workflow.
I use the Slidy format for years now for quick and dirty presentations and
notes in my teaching and sometimes I change things five minutes before I
have to use the slides. Fortunately, I discovered these changes when I
still had time to adapt template and stylesheet, but it could have been
different just as well...

@ 2016-11-10 11:24           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20161110112422.GF76334-jF64zX8BO0+FMlDNSLpt5EEMvNT87kid@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-10 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, I understand the concern. As you can see from my
reluctance to make the change, I tend to be conservative
about such things.  And perhaps it would have been better
to have raised it on pandoc-discuss first.

However, we do need to be able to make breaking changes
occasionally, to make pandoc better.  My advice is to
read the changelog carefully whenever you upgrade.

+++ Matthias Hüning [Nov 10 16 01:55 ]:

@ 2016-11-10 13:33               ` Matthias Hüning
       [not found]                 ` <8a926aee-c313-47a4-892c-4059c42836fd-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthias Hüning @ 2016-11-10 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes, John, I know that you are conservative about such changes (and I
appreciate that). And of course I also fully understand that such changes
are sometimes necessary.

I usually do look at the changelog, but it's often very long and it gets
difficult to identify those changes that might affect your own workflow.
(Would it be doable to mark the changes that might break existing
workflows? Give them an icon or make them red or something?)

By the way:
This specific change is not in the changelog for 1.18, isn't it? At least,
I couldn't find it on
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/tag/1.18

Best, Matthias

Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2016 12:24:28 UTC+1 schrieb John MacFarlane:

> [...]
> >     ><h2>xxx</h2>
> >     That's this item in the changelog:
> >         + In slide shows, don't change slide title to level 1 header
> >     (#2221).
> >     You used level 2 headers in your source file, I assume?
> >
> >   --
> >   To view this discussion on the web visit
> >   [3]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/a665478a-627e-4535-
> >   bf4f-589aa2f59017%40googlegroups.com.
> >
> >References

> >   2. mailto:pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org <javascript:>
> >   3.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/a665478a-627e-4535-bf4f-589aa2f59017-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> >   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: changes in HTML and Slidy templates
@ 2016-11-10 13:38                   ` Matthias Hüning
                                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthias Hüning @ 2016-11-10 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Oops - I am sorry, I found this issue (#2221) in the changelog for 1.17.2.
(Looks like I skipped this version.)

- Matthias

@ 2016-11-10 15:44                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20161110154400.GD7224-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-10 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You're right -- somehow I omitted that item from the
changelog.  Sorry about that.

I agree about marking the things that might require manual
changes. I normally try to do that, but sometimes they sneak
through.  Preparing the changelog is the most tedious and
time-consuming part of creating a release.

+++ Matthias Hüning [Nov 10 16 05:33 ]:

@ 2016-11-10 15:51                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-10 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Wait, now I'm confused.  The repository has this item in the
changelog, but the github releases page doesn't.
It is in the changelog on HackageDB, though.  Hm.

I'll fix the github release page. I'm not sure how this
happened.

                                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-11-10 15:57                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20161110155717.GF7224-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Mystery solved!  I did insert the item in the changelog, but
I accidentally put it into the 1.17.2 section.  I have moved
it now, sorry for the confusion.

@ 2016-11-10 16:08                       ` Simon Michael
From: Simon Michael @ 2016-11-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/10/16 7:44 AM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> Preparing the changelog is the most tedious and
> time-consuming part of creating a release.

It's strange but true. I have been wondering how to do this more
efficiently in my own projects, especially given all the power available
from pandoc.

Most recently, my process was:

1. gather commit messages
2. dump them into an org-mode outline
3. filter/sort/group/rewrite (org was very good for this)
4. convert to markdown
    (using org not pandoc to avoid some item numbering issue)
5. use that for package changelogs and web release notes
6. summarise that for announcements and HCAR
7. throw away the org outline (to avoid too much duplication)

It took a long time.

Has anybody got ideas for making it faster ? Off the top of my head, there's

- keep your commit history clean and well-written enough to use directly
(impractical)

- as you commit, also keep clean changelogs/release notes up to date
   (requires discipline/raises contribution bar)

@ 2016-11-10 16:44                       ` Matthias Hüning
From: Matthias Hüning @ 2016-11-10 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss