* Does anyone have experience using pandoc markdown with ACM sig-alternate style?
@ 2016-03-28  5:10 Brian Danielak
       [not found] ` <c247e2a0-b60f-4337-b2ec-fccc8828f93a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Brian Danielak @ 2016-03-28  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

## Background

I had been writing a manuscript in pandoc markdown, but I'd like to submit
it to an upcoming ACM conference.

The relevant ACM style files are
here: https://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template

## The problem(s) I experience

### Using a simple pandoc command won't compile

The first problem I experience is this

```shell
$ pandoc -f markdown -t latex -o test.pdf manuscript.Rmd

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.995 \Gm@process

pandoc: Error producing PDF
```

### I don't know how to integrate the ACM cls file into a pandoc template

I suspect maybe I'm having this problem because I need to create a custom
template for pandoc to use(?). But I spent hours trying to frankenstein the
pandoc template into the existing sample .tex document the ACM provides,
and all attempts have failed. Then I tried putting the sample .tex file
from the ACM into the default pandoc template, and I haven't had any
success on that route either.

I get the same error running `rmarkdown::render()` on the manuscript. I'm
guessing this error is related to the default

## Steps to reproduce

I'm basically running a simple pandoc command on this proof-of-concept test
manuscript file: https://gist.github.com/briandk/31505cfd2c0609aa496a

```shell
$ pandoc -f markdown -t latex -o test.pdf manuscript.Rmd
```

## Existing solutions I found that don't quite work

This person has a great repository, but they're using a totally different
cls file from the ACM, and my conference does not accept that cls file:

https://github.com/jakobib/pandoc-acm-templates

So, it's not clear to me what (if anything) I would need to do to adapt
their solution to my use case :-(

## System info

```
# System

Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

# pandoc

pandoc 1.17.0.3
Compiled with texmath 0.8.5, highlighting-kate 0.6.2.
Syntax highlighting is supported for the following languages:
    abc, actionscript, ada, agda, apache, asn1, asp, awk, bash, bibtex,
boo, c,
    changelog, clojure, cmake, coffee, coldfusion, commonlisp, cpp, cs, css,
    curry, d, diff, djangotemplate, dockerfile, dot, doxygen, doxygenlua,
dtd,
    eiffel, elixir, email, erlang, fasm, fortran, fsharp, gcc, glsl,
    gnuassembler, go, hamlet, haskell, haxe, html, idris, ini, isocpp, java,
    javadoc, javascript, json, jsp, julia, kotlin, latex, lex, lilypond,
    literatecurry, literatehaskell, llvm, lua, m4, makefile, mandoc,
markdown,
    mathematica, matlab, maxima, mediawiki, metafont, mips, modelines,
modula2,
    modula3, monobasic, nasm, noweb, objectivec, objectivecpp, ocaml,
octave,
    opencl, pascal, perl, php, pike, postscript, prolog, pure, python, r,
    relaxng, relaxngcompact, rest, rhtml, roff, ruby, rust, scala, scheme,
sci,
    sed, sgml, sql, sqlmysql, sqlpostgresql, tcl, tcsh, texinfo, verilog,
vhdl,
    xml, xorg, xslt, xul, yacc, yaml, zsh
Default user data directory: /Users/briandanielak/.pandoc
Copyright (C) 2006-2016 John MacFarlane
Web:  http://pandoc.org
There is no warranty, not even for merchantability or fitness
for a particular purpose.

# latex

pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.16 (TeX Live 2015)
kpathsea version 6.2.1
Copyright 2015 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX source.
Primary author of pdfTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Compiled with libpng 1.6.17; using libpng 1.6.17
Compiled with zlib 1.2.8; using zlib 1.2.8
Compiled with xpdf version 3.04
```

* Re: Does anyone have experience using pandoc markdown with ACM sig-alternate style?
       [not found] ` <c247e2a0-b60f-4337-b2ec-fccc8828f93a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-03-28  6:37   ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]     ` <20160328063751.GA40223-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-03-28  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You have:

geometry: paperwidth=8.5in paperheight=11in

Try:

geometry: paperwidth=8.5in,paperheight=11in

+++ Brian Danielak [Mar 27 16 22:10 ]:

@ 2016-03-30 15:32       ` Brian Danielak
       [not found]         ` <e02e7663-2b8d-4563-93c7-cfc113491d84-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Brian Danielak @ 2016-03-30 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

@jgm - That did it! Thank you so much! And thanks again for making pandoc
:-)

*Follow-up*: could/should the pandoc README be clearer about how to specify
multiple options to, say, `geometry`? Here's what it currently says under
`geometry`

> geometry
option for geometry <https://ctan.org/pkg/geometry> package, e.g. margin=1in;
may be repeated for multiple options

So, I assume that means this bit of YAML would be valid:

```yaml
geometry: paperwidth=8.5in
geometry: paperheight=11in
```

BUT, the comma-delimited solution you proposed (`geometry:
paperwidth=8.5in,paperheight=11in`) wouldn't have been obvious to me just
from the README.

Note: that solution *does* seem to be documented for a separate option
elsewhere in the README (emphasis mine), but it also says space-delimited
arguments are acceptable:

> --indented-code-classes=*CLASSES*

Specify classes to use for indented code blocks–for example,
perl,numberLines or haskell. *Multiple classes may be separated by spaces
or commas.*

I'm happy to issue a pull request or do anything additional if I can help
:-)

@ 2016-03-30 16:26           ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]             ` <56FBFE47.80803-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-03-30 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Den 2016-03-30 kl. 17:32, skrev Brian Danielak:
> So, I assume that means this bit of YAML would be valid:
>
> ```yaml
> geometry: paperwidth=8.5in
> geometry: paperheight=11in
> ```

No you need a list, or the second key will clobber the first one:

```yaml
geometry:
   - paperwidth=8.5in
   - paperheight=11in
```

On the command line OTOH you should write:

```shell
-M geometry=paperwidth=8.5in -M geometry=paperheight=11in
```

@ 2016-04-13 14:35               ` Brian Danielak
From: Brian Danielak @ 2016-04-13 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w