* Insert filename
@ 2016-06-19  9:59 Phil Cuddy
       [not found] ` <9a6af4c5-82ff-4de6-b7a5-64bc742c586c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Phil Cuddy @ 2016-06-19  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi all, I am trying to export markdown formatted text files and I insert the Filename as the header of each file. Here is the code I am using to do the export, how do I insert the filename?

pandoc test.txt -f markdown -t rtf -s -o test1.rtf

* Re: Insert filename
       [not found] ` <9a6af4c5-82ff-4de6-b7a5-64bc742c586c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-06-20 18:07   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20160620180721.GB94282-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-06-20 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

There's no built-in way to do this.  You can create a custom
template with a $filename$ variable, then set this variable
on the command line with

    -V filename=test.txt

+++ Phil Cuddy [Jun 19 16 02:59 ]:
>Hi all, I am trying to export markdown formatted text files and I insert the Filename as the header of each file. Here is the code I am using to do the export, how do I insert the filename?
>
>pandoc test.txt -f markdown -t rtf -s -o test1.rtf
>
>--

* Re: Insert filename
       [not found]     ` <20160620180721.GB94282-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-06-21 16:26       ` Phil Cuddy
       [not found]         ` <fc3ce04e-222d-42fc-ab89-ef301415dd1f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Phil Cuddy @ 2016-06-21 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi, i have found the following perl script that party does what i want,
(insert the filename in each text file), but it fails if there are spaces
in the filename. Any ideas on how to amend?

perl -i -pe 'BEGIN{undef $/;} s/^/$ARGV\n/' `find . -name '*.txt'`

On Monday, 20 June 2016 19:07:19 UTC+1, John MacFarlane wrote:

> There's no built-in way to do this.  You can create a custom
> template with a $filename$ variable, then set this variable
> on the command line with
>
>     -V filename=test.txt
>
> +++ Phil Cuddy [Jun 19 16 02:59 ]:
> >Hi all, I am trying to export markdown formatted text files and I insert
> the Filename as the header of each file. Here is the code I am using to do
> the export, how do I insert the filename?
> >
> >pandoc test.txt -f markdown -t rtf -s -o test1.rtf
> >
> >--
> <javascript:>.
> >To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/9a6af4c5-82ff-4de6-b7a5-64bc742c586c%40googlegroups.com.

* Re: Insert filename
       [not found]         ` <fc3ce04e-222d-42fc-ab89-ef301415dd1f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-06-21 18:47           ` daniel
       [not found]             ` <cf876452e8a4e5adb1bc76aa0a5e11bb-4VJSIDGPiDYGnBxjJhY9vGItS4zQEDct@public.gmane.org>
From: daniel @ 2016-06-21 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2016-06-21 12:26, Phil Cuddy wrote:
> Hi, i have found the following perl script that party does what i
> want, (insert the filename in each text file), but it fails if there
> are spaces in the filename. Any ideas on how to amend?
>
> perl -i -pe 'BEGIN{undef $/;} s/^/$ARGV\n/' `find . -name '*.txt'`

Try:

find . -name '*.txt' -exec perl -i -pe 'BEGIN{undef $/;} s/^/$ARGV\n/'
{} \;

This is really a combo shell/perl script.  It could probably be done in
just Perl as well, but this was easy enough.  ;)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

* Re: Insert filename
       [not found]             ` <cf876452e8a4e5adb1bc76aa0a5e11bb-4VJSIDGPiDYGnBxjJhY9vGItS4zQEDct@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-06-21 23:06               ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-06-21 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Den 2016-06-21 kl. 20:47, skrev daniel:
> find . -name '*.txt' -exec perl -i -pe 'BEGIN{undef $/;}
> s/^/$ARGV\n/' {} \;

Beware of perl's -i option without a backup lest you end up with
junk, i.e. make it -i.bak
It is easy enough to do rm *.bak once you are sure you did not get
any junk.

/bpj

* Re: Insert filename
       [not found]             ` <cf876452e8a4e5adb1bc76aa0a5e11bb-4VJSIDGPiDYGnBxjJhY9vGItS4zQEDct@public.gmane.org>